HS PHEV Exclusive Service Cost

ColinB

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I bought my car in July 2021 from F G Barnes in Canterbury, Kent and had my first service carried out by them last year. I’ve been very pleased with the car generally and with the way Barnes personnel have dealt with me as a Customer so it’s disappointing for them and me to be notified today by email that they are closing the branch. I hope their staff find good employment.
Which brings me to the second service on my car due at the end of next month. I contacted another MG dealer today and they quoted me £407 but would round it down to £400. I would value others members advice as to whether this is a good figure.
The car has done 14253 trouble free miles, is running perfectly and has no known faults.
Thanks in anticipation.

£250 is what you should be paying for that model @ a franchised dealer. Probably someone is taking advantage of Barnes closure eh?

Colin are you sure the Barnes site at Chartham is closed as I drove past just a few weeks back and it looked to be trading normally.

I had an email from their CEO Samantha Parkinson on 21/06/2023.

sorry we are closing our Canterbury MG Franchise

Redirecting me to their one in Maidstone

Last December I paid £250.93 + VAT for a (low milage) second service.
Hi G4rth.
How low was your mileage Please?
My car will be two years old 22/07/2023 and has carried out 14,300 care free miles.

@ColinB It was 6772 miles so less than you've done. I'm not sure when the low milage service is applicable. Like you I've had no problems at all in the 2.5 years I've had the car.

@ColinB It was 6772 miles so less than you've done. I'm not sure when the low milage service is applicable. Like you I've had no problems at all in the 2.5 years I've had the car.
I’ve booked my car in at Caffyns Ashford for £400 inc VAT. I did get another price from the branch of F.G. Barnes Maidstone which is still open but that was quoted at at £387 and the saving was voided by the extra travelling.
I don’t know how they can justify the prices but I prefer to use a garage specific to the make.
I read that it’s because the service is in fact two services, one petrol one electric.
Both power units use the rest of the cars common components.
A similar service on a petrol car I believe is only about £245 so they are charging £155 to do what to the electric motor and battery?

i pay every year about 350-650 euro for a service

see the picture, these are the cost for the MG EHS PHEV

Attachments

• Scherm­afbeelding 2023-06-27 om 15.55.53.png
    Scherm­afbeelding 2023-06-27 om 15.55.53.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 136
see the picture, these are the cost for the MG EHS PHEV
Thanks for the info Hage52.

And I thought I was being charged too much by the MG garage in the U.K!!
using todays exchange rate for the £219.10 and £400.00 I am charged

in euros for the first annual service I paid €254.85 v your €279
and am about to pay for the second annual service €465.26 v your €609
including 20% VAT.

I’m not signed up to the MG Service Plan they offer. Just pay as I go.

These are similar prices to what I was paying to service our VW PHEV about four years ago.
This is very likely to cover only the standard service items and no other service scheduled work that is not covered by the basis service plan.
With the VAG group, other routine items like brake fluid replacement or HVAC service where NOT covered by an annual service plan.
First brake fluid change at three years, then every two years after that.
HVAC service is every two years and fits nicely between the brake fluid change.
These are additional items that are chargeable to the customer of course !.
This would add about another £80 for the customer to pay on the day, each year pretty much.
I found that as our PHEV aged, the servicing costs just increased year on year.
There was always something ( on top of the service ) that they found to do.
On the fifth year it called for a cam belt replacement at about £300 which was on top of the price of the service charges.
As with all service plans, brake disc's / pads / wiper blades etc etc are not covered and are an additional cost to the customer.
It maybe different with MG - But I very much doubt it.
Just something to enquire about / consider in the future.
Free so called MOT's at the main dealer are never FREE !.
I still opt to use an independent MOT station and pay every single time.
Trust me it's more cost effective in the long run.

You are probably right. However it does say at the bottom that the figures quoted represent the total cost to the customer including oils etc. now of course I understand that service items that are wear and tear , like brakes, etc are extra but it does say fluids etc. I’m probably too trusting but I have found Tunbridge Wells Mg pretty good so far.
When they had problems updating the ZS Ev software I suggested they rang Miles Roberts, which they did and got it sorted in minutes with him.
So I have some confidence which I hope is not mistaken.

When they had problems updating the ZS Ev software I suggested they rang Miles Roberts, which they did and got it sorted in minutes with him.
So I have some confidence which I hope is not mistaken.
A dealer who is prepared to listen to the advice of somebody else !.
That is a really refreshing thing to hear.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom