HV Battery error and car not engaging gear

mailmannz

Established Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else getting this error?

Sometimes when I turn the vehicle on the car appears to go through the start up process but when I go to put the car in to reverse the gear selector on the dash changed to N and nothing happens on the gear knob (it stays in park).

If I go to turn the vehicle off nothing will happen. Eventually I’ll get a “system ready” message and at that point I can select a gear and head off.

I had this issue this morning BUT the first message that popped up was HV Battery error, then I couldn’t select a gear and then after 30 or so seconds I eventually got a system ready message and can head off.

The HV battery error could just be a red herring but will keep an eye on it for next time.

Last edited:
had similar happen but it just shut down while driving. hv battery error and systems shutdown. best send it to MG and get the data downloaded.

I got had this issue this morning BUT the first message that popped up was HV Battery error, then I couldn’t select a gear and then after 30 or so seconds I eventually got a system ready message and can head off.

The HV battery error could just be a red herring but will keep an eye on it for next time.
That sort of thing could happen if the pedal isn't pressed sufficiently/long enough when switching on, but then is pressed to change to drive/reverse. The pedal press when selecting gear seems to engage the HV, then take the appropriate action.

had similar happen but it just shut down while driving. hv battery error and systems shutdown. best send it to MG and get the data downloaded.
Wouldn’t describe this as ‘similar’, way more serious what happened to you, care to elaborate how it was fixed?

[edit] sorry, just realised you posted this issue on a different thread..

Last edited:
Yes, this seems to be possible to outwit the start up system by being too quick on the 'push' then gear select. Had me worried a couple of times but, turn it all off, then back on again.....

I took the car in a month ago to get a new key paired and talked to the dealer about the issue. While pairing the new key they did a software update and since then I’ve had just the one instance of this issue.

But before then I was probably starting to see the issue at least weekly. But yeah, since the garage visit it’s been pretty good at behaving itself :)

I get something similar if I try to set off to quickly. I find that a short pause between pressing the button and letting it boot up before selecting D or R works. If it does error then I just put it into P then press the button again.
Yes happened once to me when I tried to rush it. Never since.

Having been a software engineer for years (ok decades!) I've learnt to live with MG software foibles. As previous guy said... just wait.
I'm currently having an amusing fight with my gen 2 MG5 trying to stop it playing the music from my Mob phone. I'd switched it on to 5 LIVE (for Ryder Cup updates) but then it switches off. I reactivate get the Rolling Stones! nb If I disable bluetooth(great!) but unable to handsfree phone calls. Upshot is Software still not quite stable.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom