HV Battery Shut off error due to low 12V?

Bubs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So I recently ran into the dreaded “HV Battery Shutoff - Vehicle Control System Fault” while trying to charge on a rapid charger. I pulled in and tried to start charging I got a bunch of error and it kept starting and stopping. I first put it down to a dodgy charger so I moved. The next one had the same issue but this one told me "Abnormal voltage detected" and it stopped.

I put this down to the rapid charger software update that was needed and that MG hadn't checked the software updates 4 weeks ago when it was in for a service.

The first time I called a recovery truck. He disconnected the 12V and left it for ten mins. Reconnected it and the car started up. I went straight out and bought a 10mm spanner (everyone should have this in the boot).

But worryingly I also got it yesterday on the 7KW charger in work. I noticed on the app that charging had stopped at 85%. That's odd I thought as you can only set it in steps of ten in the car. either 80% or 90%. So I assumed the charger had stopped. I went out and tried to restart it with the swipe card.

Much like with the rapid charger it kept making the initial connection and then stopping I tried a few times. When I sat in and tried to start the car I got the HV shut off error again and was stranded again. This time I had the handy 10mm to do the battery trick myself but this isn't a long term solution.

In both cases, I noticed a similar pattern and wondered if anyone else had seen this?
  • When I tried to start the charger I got an error and it stopped charging.
  • I tried to start charging a few times (either on new chargers or the same charger).
  • When the HV shut-off error appeared I noticed the 12v battery on the dash was showing 12.9v (that is normally at 14.4v).

So the theory is that when the HV battery is off and the 12v tries to start the charger 4-5 times it uses up too much juice drops to 12.9v and the car gets into this mode.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom