HV battery shut off every time I try to charge!

Laurie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
My MG4 will not charge consistently anymore. Anytime I plug it in to charge, it randomly cuts off and gives the error "HV battery shut off". I have to keep checking it and reatarting.

Sent it back to the dealer today who checked it, it did the same thing with them, so they did updates hoping to solve the problem. I've plugged it in at home to charge and once again, it has stopped charging and is giving me the same HV battery error.

Does anyone have any insight into this as the dealers seem clueless and I am getting more and more frustrated as the vehicles range is not good to begin with, so have a charging issue is a major problem.

Further to this, since the dealers software update, the range on my car has suddenly increased significantly.

Usually at 100% battery Id be lucky to get 396km!

16890284061836092939605027901611.jpg

I have no idea why your car won't charge, but as regards the range, at a wild guess, perhaps the dealer drove the car at a very low, extremely economical speed for some reason, and the car is calculating the range from that?

I have no idea why your car won't charge, but as regards the range, at a wild guess, perhaps the dealer drove the car at a very low, extremely economical speed for some reason, and the car is calculating the range from that?
No, the only place the drove it was from the parking spot into the service bay, nt even 20 steps away. I wish it made that much sense

Im wondering if it is possible to install the wrong upgrade? They sell various types of MGs. I have no clue if this is possible, but the range and a few other new options under driving make me believe they may have.

God alone knows. Funny things can happen about the range though.

I left my car at the local garage for them to fit the mud flaps and the new interior light bulbs, and when I got it back the display was absolutely incomprehensible in terms of miles/Kwh and a few other things. I wondered if one of the lads had taken it out for a quick spin, but the distance travelled was showing as negligible. No idea why any of this happened, as they should only have had to move the car into the workshop then back to the parking area, it didn't need any mechanical work.

Updates (the right ones!) can give new options under driving. Why not jus carry on and see what happens? If your charging problem has been fixed, I suspect it will all just settle down.

God alone knows. Funny things can happen about the range though.

I left my car at the local garage for them to fit the mud flaps and the new interior light bulbs, and when I got it back the display was absolutely incomprehensible in terms of miles/Kwh and a few other things. I wondered if one of the lads had taken it out for a quick spin, but the distance travelled was showing as negligible. No idea why any of this happened, as they should only have had to move the car into the workshop then back to the parking area, it didn't need any mechanical work.

Updates (the right ones!) can give new options under driving. Why not jus carry on and see what happens? If your charging problem has been fixed, I suspect it will all just settle down.
The charging problem hasnt been fixed. I had to restart it charging twice last night and sat and waited until it reached 100%.

It just cuts out randomly and stops charging.

The charging problem hasnt been fixed. I had to restart it charging twice last night and sat and waited until it reached 100%.

It just cuts out randomly and stops charging.
Have you tried it with another charger? Do you have the same problem on a rapid charger?

Regarding the difference in range. This is probably because they reset the car while doing the updates. The Guess-O-Meter needs to get use to your driving style again.

Have you tried it with another charger? Do you have the same problem on a rapid charger?

Regarding the difference in range. This is probably because they reset the car while doing the updates. The Guess-O-Meter needs to get use to your driving style again.
Yup, have tried a few, and when it went to the dealers service centre yesterday, it cut out on theirs twice as well.

Ah, the Guess-O-Meter....oddly you've made the most sense regarding this so far HAHAHAH

The good news is the dealer can see the problem happening. That's sometimes half the battle.

Funny you should mention this. My Trophy was in for LKA update last week (made little difference but that's another thread). I've only charged it once since then but when charging activated the car automatically locked and charging stopped. I usually lock car manually after charging starts. After 4 attempts it started taking a charge but I will be monitoring this when charging again.

Funny you should mention this. My Trophy was in for LKA update last week (made little difference but that's another thread). I've only charged it once since then but when charging activated the car automatically locked and charging stopped. I usually lock car manually after charging starts. After 4 attempts it started taking a charge but I will be monitoring this when charging again.
I've been back to the dealer twice, and the issue is still not rectified. I am extremely frustrated and have contacted the owner of the Company. An EV that wont charge is a very expensive rock and POINTLESS.

I am not happy at all!

So updates to car did not work, they finally came and changed my charger and voila! Had they listened to me in the first place, I wouldn't have had a week of headaches!!!!

So updates to car did not work, they finally came and changed my charger and voila! Had they listened to me in the first place, I wouldn't have had a week of headaches!!!!
When you say they changed your charger, do you mean the components in the car, or at home. If the latter, it does not explain the dealer being able to replicate the issue.

When you say they changed your charger, do you mean the components in the car, or at home. If the latter, it does not explain the dealer being able to replicate the issue.
You are making absolute sense, and I've already said all you have above, so I am led to believe the issue was two fold, the vehicle needed updating, and the charger needed to be replaced (at home, not in the car). However I honestly do not hold much faith in their after sales service and I'm not the only one, so I suppose you can take from that what you want without me spelling it out.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back