Hyundai battery Recall

PeteJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have just seen the information concerning the recall of Hyundai Kona cars for a replacement of the batteries for safety reasons. On looking through the details I see that the cars were recalled to have a new BMS to limit the charge levels following safety concerns. It seems that MG may be doing the same thing but I hope that it works for them, and us.

My other car's a Kona. It will be a year old in July.
It's had one BMS update last year and it's going back for another update in a couple of weeks.
I'm pretty sure mines not affected in this replacement call? But it's hard to get details and answers out my dealer. I don't think the service front staff are clued up enough sometimes? (But that just my dealer. Not saying that of all dealers)

Guess updates and replacement batteries are just going to be the norm from now until the advancement of the technology hit's it peak.

Last edited:
I wouldn't necessarily complain if it got a brand new replacement battery pack; we all know they lose capacity year by year, so even after a year you'll have lost some capacity. Doesn't make up for the inconvenience of it though.

I wonder if they replace the whole pack? Mostly they isolate bad cells and only replace those - it’s one of the benefits of having multiple cell battery packs.

I wonder if they replace the whole pack? Mostly they isolate bad cells and only replace those - it’s one of the benefits of having multiple cell battery packs.
Looks like the entire battery packs are being replaced! Just read the article on Financial Times. 82,000 battery packs have to replaced because 12 cars immolated themselves even after having the BMS recall done.
It's going to cost $900M to rectify and Hyundai and LG Energy Solution, LG Chem’s wholly owned battery division, are in talks about how to divide the cost of the battery replacement.

VW did this with their HV battery recall due to moisture entering the HV battery case.
Cars recalled, batteries removed and checked for water ingress.
The repair ranged from a reseal of both sides of the case, cells replaced or whole HV pack replacements.
Not many got a complete new HV pack !.

Did LG not just win a lawsuit against another Korean battery manufacturer? Something about them copying their R&D? Going to be embarrassing if they come back with an ad campaign saying the unlike LG, their batteries don't catch fire 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

VW did this with their HV battery recall due to moisture entering the HV battery case.
Cars recalled, batteries removed and checked for water ingress.
The repair ranged from a reseal of both sides of the case, cells replaced or whole HV pack replacements.
Not many got a complete new HV pack !.
Get the sealant guns out lads, no mofo water's gonna get into my battery. :LOL:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom