I’ve only got 35% battery left #MGZSLRTC

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’ve only got 35% battery left but still 100 miles range in the tank (battery). Great car #MGZSLRTC

Attachments

• AA2A553C-672B-4FCA-98DA-1AFAB5A71837.jpeg
    AA2A553C-672B-4FCA-98DA-1AFAB5A71837.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 3AAFDB9E-0E79-4BAF-80B4-3D4CA434AB92.jpeg
    3AAFDB9E-0E79-4BAF-80B4-3D4CA434AB92.jpeg
    498.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 97B9713E-2C4A-434D-B7D7-5AA4877FC6EA.jpeg
    97B9713E-2C4A-434D-B7D7-5AA4877FC6EA.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 121
Reset both of your trips THEN see want your remaining predicted range is displaying then.
Not 100 miles I would hazard a guess.
The range given is based on how the owner has driven the car, not the default range.

If the owner continues to drive in the same style, that is the range they will get.

If someone always drives the car very hard then they will always get a lesser range than the default, resetting the trips won’t change that.

Reset both of your trips THEN see want your remaining predicted range is displaying then.
Not 100 miles I would hazard a guess.
If I reset the accumulative and current journeys the range will go up. Based on my current driving (3.6 mls p/kWh) I’ve just added 51.72kWh from 35% to 100% and as the MG app defaults to normal mode it’s showing 288 miles range so I imagine in eco mode that will be 298 miles. If I reset the GOM it will be north of 300 miles.

Attachments

• 7CD26C1D-22DD-427F-A429-1B5B4FDABBA9.jpeg
    7CD26C1D-22DD-427F-A429-1B5B4FDABBA9.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 9AD3DF89-1189-483B-BA26-9194DD871082.jpeg
    9AD3DF89-1189-483B-BA26-9194DD871082.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
It is not always possible to mimic / reproduce the same journey / weather conditions and driving style that your historical data has used to predict your estimated range advertised by the GOM,
If you have a high mileage recorded on the accumulative trip, that has been built up over the same repetitive journey and in excellent EV weather conditions, and view this prediction as actual achievable range, then out of the blue, you take on an unknown long trip in different weather conditions, with cabin heater etc, you maybe wondering why you range is diminishing faster than you thought.
An over inflated optimistic range can only be 100% believe IF you are able to mimic the trips 100% of the time.
If I intended to make an unknown journey that could stretch the range to the max, then I want a more accurate base line to work from.
Resetting both trips before I commence the journey will display the default predicted range and not an inflated range built up over say 1,000 miles of town driving etc.
None of this even worth considering when the trip is well inside of the range envelope of current SOC of course.
If you have a LR version this is less stressful because you have more range available to start with.
We had the previous Gen 1 version and it was easy to build up the predicted range on the GOM over a few weeks of careful driving in ideal weather conditions.
After charging the car, it would report having an inflated predictable range.
If I was then to take on a unknown trip, believing that this prediction was correct, I would come up short !.
Resetting the trips, would return a more accurate predicted range that could be 20 miles lower than the original figure.
A 20 miles difference is a lot on car that was 2 years old and covered 20,000 miles, that certainly had some small amount of battery degradation.
SOH was around 95% ( ish ) on our car, others owners have reported similar values on the forum, for cars of that age and mileage covered.
This figures can be witnessed by reading the BMS update thread on the forum.
Warning ⚠️- You will need a GOOD few hours spare to read through it all !.

It is not always possible to mimic / reproduce the same journey / weather conditions and driving style that your historical data has used to predict your estimated range advertised by the GOM,
If you have a high mileage recorded on the accumulative trip, that has been built up over the same repetitive journey and in excellent EV weather conditions, and view this prediction as actual achievable range, then out of the blue, you take on an unknown long trip in different weather conditions, with cabin heater etc, you maybe wondering why you range is diminishing faster than you thought.
An over inflated optimistic range can only be 100% believe IF you are able to mimic the trips 100% of the time.
If I intended to make an unknown journey that could stretch the range to the max, then I want a more accurate base line to work from.
Resetting both trips before I commence the journey will display the default predicted range and not an inflated range built up over say 1,000 miles of town driving etc.
None of this even worth considering when the trip is well inside of the range envelope of current SOC of course.
If you have a LR version this is less stressful because you have more range available to start with.
We had the previous Gen 1 version and it was easy to build up the predicted range on the GOM over a few weeks of careful driving in ideal weather conditions.
If I was then to take on a unknown trip, believing that this prediction was correct, I would come up short !.
Resetting the trips, would return a more accurate predicted range that could be 20 miles lower than the original figure.
A 20 miles difference is a lot on car that was 2 years old and covered 20,000 miles, that certainly had some small amount of battery degradation.
SOH was around 95% ( ish ) on our car, others owners have reported similar values on the forum, for cars of that age and mileage covered.

After driving my LR TC for nearly 10,000 miles now, I know the range I will get using different driving conditions so only use the GOM as a rough guide and use the Wh/mile for the current trip to better know what the car will do on any particular journey if I need to.

The LR will easily do 250 miles on a single charge and 180 miles between charges on a longer trip. Basically, Range Anxiety is a thing of the past with this car. The car will go further than I can between charges.

Last edited:
I've never reset the trip meters in the 2 years I've owned my Kona and never had any problem with the displayed range or any anxiety. When the battery gets down to 15-20%, I look for a charger unless I'm within range of home.

If I reset the accumulative and current journeys the range will go up. Based on my current driving (3.6 mls p/kWh) I’ve just added 51.72kWh from 35% to 100% and as the MG app defaults to normal mode it’s showing 288 miles range so I imagine in eco mode that will be 298 miles. If I reset the GOM it will be north of 300 miles.
Hi I'm a newbie who's not got his car yet. I'm still getting used to the jargon. What is GOM?

The number on the bottom left is the range the GuessOMeter suggests you will get based on your previous driving style with the current SOC of the battery shown on the bottom right as %. SOC = State Of Charge.

C02232CF-3248-471B-8E20-A71CC68FB3A3.jpeg

To calculate your total range at 100% SOC …

Divide the GOM Range in miles by the current battery % and multiply by 100.

For example, using the figures shown in the photo:

(252 / 87) x 100 = 289 miles

Or

252 / 0.87 = 289 miles

Last edited:
The number on the bottom left is the range the GuessOMeter suggests you will get based on your previous driving style with the current SOC of the battery shown on the bottom right as %. SOC = State Of Charge.

View attachment 9922

To calculate your total range at 100% SOC …

Divide the GOM Range in miles by the current battery % and multiply by 100.

For example, using the figures shown in the photo:

(252 / 87) x 100 = 289 miles

Or

252 / 0.87 = 289 miles
Thanks , Appreciate your help .

@100% the GOM in eco showed me 302 miles.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom