I can't lock MG4

ruaidhri

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I usually can't lock my car first time. The horn beeps. The solution is to go into the menu on the info screen and shutdown the car. I've tried opening and closing all the doors and making sure the car is in park. Sometimes the screen says cannot detect keyfob. Any ideas?

Boot is closed, if it wasn't a light would be on dash. Spare key is at home. This happens randomly.

I just replaced the battery but the old one is 3volts so it's not the battery

That's the problem, I can't replicate it. It happens randomly. But I will take it to the dealer, I just thought someone else had the same problem but it looks like I'm the only one :(

If you have not had the car long, look for a warped rear under tray, check the AC noise level when running cold. More things on this forum to look for too.
This morning I had my car unlock, but would not 'boot up' when sat in. Rinse and repeat with just the same result. Then unplugged the granny charger, locked the car, unlocked, sat in and it booted up. Flaky is the word in my mind for this car right now.

Yes RN88R that's something I was thinking as the horn beep means a door is open or a key left inside. As the spare key in at home it could very well be a door switch but then if I shutdown the car with the menu the car then locks so it's a weird problem.

If you have not had the car long, look for a warped rear under tray, check the AC noise level when running cold. More things on this forum to look for too.
This morning I had my car unlock, but would not 'boot up' when sat in. Rinse and repeat with just the same result. Then unplugged the granny charger, locked the car, unlocked, sat in and it booted up. Flaky is the word in my mind for this car right now.
You're not having a great experience with your car at the moment, I do believe there is questionable quality control issues at the factory, and faults are either being identified and not corrected or they are just not bothered and checking.

Either way it makes for a frustrating ownership experience and certainly takes the shine of buying a new car.
If you add into that questionable dealership experiences and a terrible customer service attitude from MG UK, if you have been unfortunate enough to have a car with niggles it can very quickly sour the experience.
I also think this is making owners put up with a few more niggles than they normally would as they can't be bothered with the hassle of getting things fixed

Last edited:
Totally agree @Leni16 .... just talking about the frustrations with my better half and she said "Why doesn't someone make an EV without all this flaky tech". Which is a good point, button up most functions and just have a radio / entertainment system screen.
Oh and.... a dealer that actually gives a sh*t about its customers

Totally agree @Leni16 .... just talking about the frustrations with my better half and she said "Why doesn't someone make an EV without all this flaky tech". Which is a good point, button up most functions and just have a radio / entertainment system screen.
Oh and.... a dealer that actually gives a sh*t about its customers
At the risk of incurring the wrath of the forum!

I can't fault the operating system on my car it works brilliantly, it has not had a single flaky moment in the 7 months I've had the car. The operating system is Google the same as is used in Volvos and polestar's and just works.

If you add into that physical buttons for heating, rear screen, heated seats/steering wheel and LKA then it makes the user experience really simple.

The point I am making is that it is possible to do this but if you are going for a more minimalist approach with less buttons and more functions controlled from a screen (attempting to copy Tesla) then that would seem all the more reason to make the system work.

I know people will say it is fine and I just do x y and z as part of my start up routine but you really should just be able to jump in and go and then if you need to change anything be able to do it simply and safely on the move, like we all used to be able to do in the past.

Again this is not a my car is better than your car post (even though it is😉) it is merely to say there are good operating systems out there.

I am also not saying my car is faultless, My car has had a manufacturing issue which they are struggling to rectify, it's pretty frustrating but faults can occur. The issue in no way impacts how the car runs and works and their is no shortage of willing from the dealer/manufacturer to try and fix it which we should all experience if reporting a fault.
How things are dealt with can make or break a car purchase and I think, as been mentioned numerous times, MG are lacking a bit in that department (some very good dealers excepted)

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the forum!

I can't fault the operating system on my car it works brilliantly, it has not had a single flaky moment in the 7 months I've had the car. The operating system is Google the same as is used in Volvos and polestar's and just works.

If you add into that physical buttons for heating, rear screen, heated seats/steering wheel and LKA then it makes the user experience really simple.

The point I am making is that it is possible to do this but if you are going for a more minimalist approach with less buttons and more functions controlled from a screen (attempting to copy Tesla) then that would seem all the more reason to make the system work.

I know people will say it is fine and I just do x y and z as part of my start up routine but you really should just be able to jump in and go and then if you need to change anything be able to do it simply and safely on the move, like we all used to be able to do in the past.

Again this is not a my car is better than your car post (even though it is😉) it is merely to say there are good operating systems out there.

I am also not saying my car is faultless, My car has had a manufacturing issue which they are struggling to rectify, it's pretty frustrating but faults can occur. The issue in no way impacts how the car runs and works and their is no shortage of willing from the dealer/manufacturer to try and fix it which we should all experience if reporting a fault.
How things are dealt with can make or break a car purchase and I think, as been mentioned numerous times, MG are lacking a bit in that department (some very good dealers excepted)
Indeed, agree. If MG customer service took a different approach, this would all be a bit more palatable for us. Bit they aren't, hence this bitterly sours the experience as you say.

What is your car?
I have a Renault Megane etech
When I joined the forum I had a Trophy on order, as the first deliveries started and the faults started coming in Oil leak, locking in issue (thankfully for owners sakes both now seem sorted) Restricted speed and the less serious but multitude of software niggles I cancelled and bought the Megane.

I now hang about here mainly to keep @tsedge grounded since he became a YouTube star and to back up @bowfer (although he needs no help really) and mostly because it is a very good forum with a very knowledgeable membership and on occasions has some good banter.

I have been accused of being a troll, hence the little French troll picture and have been told to leave on a good few occasions by members that have spat the dummy at me and others having the temerity to criticise MG (some more politely than others, a couple of keyboard warriors got a bit carried away private messaging me various insults and empty threats) but I'm a big boy and it's like water of a ducks back.

I continue to watch the brand develop with interest and would potentially consider an MG EV again in the future if they can improve the software and quality of materials as I'm sure they will have to, certainly on the Cyberster. No one who is paying £50-60k is going to put up with constant software niggles and questionable quality.

I was all for handing the MG4 back, but my wife would not let this happen.( it's her car)
Having read the posts on this forum,
The car drives fantastic. But the niggles from the infotainment unit drives me mad. As my wife has more patience she spends 5 mins turning things off before driving away.
So now just waiting for further updates to come through and time to take it into dealers, who have been very good.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back