I could not resist

BillyWhizz

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
the new MG5 was just sitting on the drive so off I went for a nice little drive to scotch corner to take my daily exercise which I believe makes this an essential journey driving with heated seat on climate control on the tunes playing away and my phone charging sitting at 70mph most the time with the odd over tacking of wagons.
65miles round trip it said I was getting 2.8 miles p/kwh I think if I drove like that from 100% to say 15% I reckon I could get around 160 miles but I wont be driving like that it was a test run so I am more than happy with the car for £21500 for a brand new family size EV what more could you want .

Last edited:
the new MG5 was just sitting on the drive so off I went for a nice little test drive to scotch corner and back driving with heated seat on climate control on the tunes playing away and my phone charging sitting at 70mph most the time with the odd 80-85 over tacking wagons.
65miles round trip it said I was getting 2.8 miles p/kwh I think if I drove like that from 100% to say 15% I reckon I could get around 160 miles but I wont be driving like that it was a test run so I am more than happy with the car for £21500 for a brand new family size EV what more could you want .

So much for lockdown essential journeys

Edit:

Oh dear...editing OP gives the flow of conversation a different meaning.

At least we use a quoting system ..for when people edit their posts some 2 hours later...Sigh......at least it wasn't a sight test (Cummings Excuse)

Last edited:
the new MG5 was just sitting on the drive so off I went for a nice little test drive to scotch corner and back driving with heated seat on climate control on the tunes playing away and my phone charging sitting at 70mph most the time with the odd 80-85 over tacking wagons.
£21599 I thought would be the price?

So should I have collected the car at all maybe that was none essential journey so stop every one trading shut the country down completely that’s a lockdown

So should I have collected the car at all maybe that was none essential journey so stop every one trading shut the country down completely that’s a lockdown

Only you know if it was essential for you to buy a car...

• Breaking the rules is one thing.
  • Glorifying it, by opening a thread of resistivity, is a step further.
  • Now arguing about it with a silly analogy is just ....speechless.

I will end the discussion here. Enjoy.

Only you know if it was essential for you to buy a car...

• Breaking the rules is one thing.
  • Glorifying it, by opening a thread of resistivity, is a step further.
  • Now arguing about it with a silly analogy is just ....speechless.

I will end the discussion here. Enjoy.
Thanks for your input

Let's face it, driving somewhere on your own hardly increases the risk of infection. You're taking more of a risk popping to the shop. Still, not worth publicising it; some people will always look for something to criticise.

Lockdown is a joke I travel to work everyday and have contact with 40 other people the only true lockdown was the first one
1st lockdown was amazing! I've worked through all 3 (essential worker)and the traffic in 1st one was virtually non-existent, was a brilliant 27mile drive to work and back

i came on this forum to gather information from experience EV owners and to share my thoughts if someone feels the need to have a go over something so trivial I find that sad 😞 but if it makes people feel better to vent so be it
Some folk take pleasure in pissing on your chips.
The precedents for essential travel were set by one Mr Cummings and endorsed by Mr Johnston, your driving to Scotch Corner for you excercise is asfar as I can see legal. Either way, it's nothing to do with me or anyone else on the forum.
I expect if you look closely enough all of us have breached lockdown requirements.
Enjoy your car, it's great. Next time though take some pictures so we can admire it👍

I won't comment on the OP's drive.

However, the law says we should stay at home and only travel further for essential purposes. Cummings did not set the precedence for that, he broke the law. Anyone who cannot see that driving for an hour for non-essential reasons is in breach of the law should get their eyes tested properly and not just go on a drive to Barnard Castle. The law adds that we can take exercise, but locally.

Several members of my family work in the NHS and a couple have been on ITU wards. A friend was on a ventilator for eight weeks but is thankfully home now. These are the people we have to bear in mind when we take risks and don't follow the rules to stay at home, protect the NHS and save lives.

Where I live that type of trip would've likely got the driver fined - the police are actively stopping people travelling outside their area to well known recreational spots, which for me if I made the trip is about 10 miles. I agree the first lockdown was more effective in terms of keeping people at home - traffic here is about back to normal IMHO.

1st lockdown was amazing! I've worked through all 3 (essential worker)and the traffic in 1st one was virtually non-existent, was a brilliant 27mile drive to work and back
Agreed, I'm a lorry driver and the roads were so empty I was worried I might get given more drops to do.

The first lockdown was amazing for driving. My other half had to travel into the centre of Edinburgh for radiotherapy every day for three weeks, and it was like driving into a small town, not a major city. Like driving back in the 60s.
Unfortunately, now, I have to travel 80 miles every second or third day so that we can tend to her ageing mother, and I hate it. I just want to sit with my feet up, not driving two hours a day.

We visited our son in Edinburgh last year when it would normally have been festival time and the streets would have been packed. But it was almost deserted. Very weird!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom