I love my zs ev but...

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
After 3 months of ownership at 1300miles of driving I love my zs ev.
I got a really good deal from mg Chorley in burnley (they are top dealers by the way).
For what I paid for it and what it does I think it is brilliant value for the money.
There are a few things though. Design flaws rather than niggles. First is the charge flap. That has been done to death. Second, the lack of battery percentage and non linear battery meter.
One of the main rants for me is the speed limiting feature. Every time I have to turn it on via the infotainment system. There is no direct access to it (at least none that I know of). Why not just incorporate it into the stalk. When the acc or pilot is turned off, that is when the stalk is pushed away it should be armed. That just makes sense. You can then have the option of selecting its modes through the system. Surely this is just a software thing that can be implemented.
the other thing would be heated seat level (yes it is a first world problem) but my posterior is either frozen or roasted. What happened to gently toasted?
Tinted windows. Most cars come in with it. Give me a fancy sunroof but not tinted windows.
App would be nice.
Despite all this I still love my mg

Some good points. I think the speed warning - it doesn’t limit the speed - is targeted as more of a one off setting and meant to be an extra safeguard. I set mine at 80mph btw. You can off course use ACC or MG pilot to limit and maintain speeds. You may know this but the traffic sign recognition will id a sign and display it in the centre display in front of the driver. if you go over the speed it will flash this in the centre display - I even think an audible warning for this can be set, and parameters - I switch my audible stuff off - so you already have a dynamic speed warning with this system - 3 ways of controlling and monitoring your speed - plus the good old fashioned eye on the speedo! . Hope that this helps - glad you like the car.

If you fire up the satnav you can set it to give you a verbal wanring if you're over the speed limit. IIRC you don't have to have the satnav on the screen, fire it up and return to, say, the music screen.

The speed limiter also has a smart function that utilises the speed sign recognition and will automatically lower or raise your maximum speed to match the road.
If you enter a road with a lower limit the car will recognise that and slow you down to the maximum allowed.

It is a very good system, don’t get me wrong. It is just that I have to go into the systems menu and other sub menus to turn it on every single time. It is like having to turn on the traction control every time you turn the car on. IMHO.

I don’t have to enable any of what I’ve described above when I use the car. Once set they’re set -unless you then disable certain elements. To what exactly are you referring?

I have set up the * button on there steering wheel to show the ‘car’ menu on the infotainment system. I then just press manual and I can then engage manual speed limit as it is on the first page. Easy. However I do wish I didn’t have to reset it every time I start the car.

Are these the 3 options in the sas and you would like to stay at option 2?
Speed Limit Information Function (SLIF): The vehicle detects a speed limit sign (as shown above) at the roadside with the front view camera. The speed limit sign identified will be displayed on the instrument pack. When the vehicle speed exceeds the speed limit by a preset amount, a visual warning in the instrument pack will alert the driver to control the speed manually.
2 Manual Speed Assist (MSA): The driver sets the maximum speed using the adaptive cruise control lever. The system will actively intervene and keep the vehicle speed within the permitted maximum speed limit. And an acoustic warning and a visual warning will be available during the intervention. Please refer to the section “Speed settings of manual speed assist”.
3 Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA): The vehicle detects a speed limit sign (as shown above) at the roadside with the front view camera. The speed limit sign identified will be displayed on the instrument pack. The system will automatically intervene and maintain speed control to keep the vehicle speed within the permitted maximum speed limit. And an acoustic

I don’t have to enable any of what I’ve described above when I use the car. Once set they’re set -unless you then disable certain elements. To what exactly are you referring?
If I have activated the speed limiter and then used acc or pilot, the next time I turn the car on the speed limiter function is not available unless I re enable it from the menu. Furthermore, if the stalk is in the forward or acc position the menu will not allow me to re enable it unless I push the lever backwards. Hope I am making sense.

If I have activated the speed limiter and then used acc or pilot, the next time I turn the car on the speed limiter function is not available unless I re enable it from the menu. Furthermore, if the stalk is in the forward or acc position the menu will not allow me to re enable it unless I push the lever backwards. Hope I am making sense.
Apologies - I get you now. I never use that myself but I know what you’re saying. 🤔

I purchase my MG ES ZS in November 2020 and love the car. And have exactly the same issue.

Like you I have to switch or enable the speed limiter from off to on through the car options on the central panel on each time the car is restarted.

I don't understand why that should happen as I'd expect once set on the car option to manual, auto or off it should stay set until changed.

I really like the function as there are loads of 20mph speed cameras where I drive and it's so easy to get caught. So I find that extremely frustrating having to reset it back to manual from off each time I start the car.

I have asked MG dealerships to seek a resolution but alas nothing forthcoming (yet!).

Please help someone who knows about this issue find a solution
Apologies - I get you now. I never use that myself but I know what you’re saying. 🤔
I have set up the * button on there steering wheel to show the ‘car’ menu on the infotainment system. I then just press manual and I can then engage manual speed limit as it is on the first page. Easy. However I do wish I didn’t have to reset it every time I start the car.

Mike,
Great idea and I will probably follow your lead but I maintain once set the chosen state should stay until changed by the driver. It shouldn't be reset to off each time the car is switched off. A design fault me thinks... Hopefully MG will resolve this strange feature in their software?

Olly1

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom