• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

I really do want to buy an MG ZS EV......but

Time to get a good deal as dealers trying to get rid of stock and also with new reg coming in September. Fantastic deals around at moment if you prepared to shop around!

I shopped around as I was put off by my first local dealer. I was told by the salesman the deposit on order was not refundable. Big mistake on the dealers behalf. Talked to my brother about this experience and he suggested I contact a dealer near him. MG Cinderford. They couldn't be more helpful. Gave me a good part exchange allowance and even delivered the car. They are located a little over 200 hundred miles away from my location.
Love the car.

Hi, i am a little bewildered by the attitude of both my local MG dealers. I have visited both for prices and test drives. I have expressed an Interest in the Exclusive and on both occasions they have had the excite available for a test drive. So, after trying out the excite twice, one from each garage i then asked for a test drive in the model i would like to purchase. I was asked why as they are the same car. I explained, which was fairly obvious at the time of questioning that i am on the tall side, 6’ 7” to be precise and my main concern was leg room and head room. With the seat well back and at the lowest manual setting on the Excite I did struggle a little moving foot from accelerater to brake. Good head room though. But as the sales person should know, head room is compromised due to the panoramic roof and I wondered if the adjustment in the drivers seat was different between the two models due to one being manual and other electric adjustment.
His reply was, “i would struggle to sell a new car with miles on it“
“What about a demo car” was my reply.?
“not company policy” was his salesman’s pitch.
He reckons the Exclusive is flying off the shelf and customers are happy to test drive the Excite and then purchase the Exclusive.
He was happy for me to sit in a showroom Exclusive but not allowed to drive it.
I did a search for other MG Dealers, found one 30 miles away. Rang to ask for an Exclusive test drive. Booked for noon tomorrow.
Hopefully make the deal same day.
Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is this the norm for MG. Not a good experience so far.
Rant over...for now. ?
Hi I did drive the Excite but I wanted the Exclusive and contacted the Horsham MG Dealer found them so helpful and supporting so I have my car and love it I have worked as an area manager of European Car Manufacturers and cannot fault this car its quality is great.

I am surprised by their attitude and am glad to hear that you're going elsewhere to try and purchase. I don't know where you are in the country, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend MG Brandon in Suffolk.
I had the same issue. Test drove the Exclusive and the rang six dealers to source the car and see what offers were available.Only two got back and also found the sales people did not know the deals .I contacted MG direct and they sent me a newsletter with the offers on at the moment.Also found that a new MG was opening near me in the North West. Done a fantastic deal with a few extras thrown in but best of all the Customer Service has been fantastic .Thanks You Perrys Dealship

Test drove an exclusive - in fact our dealer told of that of all the cars that they had sold (sizeable number which I can’t remember at all) only two had been Excites.

Basically said that no one is buying Excites - the price saving compared with the lessor spec is not worth it for most.

Cheers,

Nigel

Test drove an exclusive - in fact our dealer told of that of all the cars that they had sold (sizeable number which I can’t remember at all) only two had been Excites.

Basically said that no one is buying Excites - the price saving compared with the lessor spec is not worth it for most.

Cheers,

Nigel
And what did you think off it?. Did the vehicle you drove have the comfort 2 software updates applied and so all those horrible bongs are gone??

And what did you think off it?. Did the vehicle you drove have the comfort 2 software updates applied and so all those horrible bongs are gone??

I thought it was like all the other SUV EVs we have driven. There are things that are good, things that are bad. It’s strongest point is price but that is an important factor.

Can’t say I thought much of the infotainment system. That is lagging well behind the competition. It doesn’t seem to be geared up for EVs, it behaves more like a fossil fuel infotainment system.

There were also a couple of things I noted - no leads, you have to pay extra for those (though there is an offer to get one for free on for the next month or two) but need to factor that in when comparing with the completion that includes both a Type 2 and a 13A socket type.

Also very taken aback when the salesman said that there was a firmware update to address some issues - that is normally £85 but he would ensure to was installed before we purchased - what you have to pay £85 for each software patch to address issues.

Build quality, probably worst of all the cars we tested but not so far behind to be a real worry.

Charging socket/hatch - found this disappointing - the hatch in the grill is wackery, when open it obscures the socket forcing you to bend down low to use it and it isn’t illuminated.

Hate the wheels.

Reasonable spec, overall probably not as good as any of the competition but not far behind, it is the price is its distinguishing feature.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hmm, again it’s all down to personal opinions and these are your views some of which I agree and others perhaps not, but you have my full support on one thing that the value of this car, I do believe it’s a great car for the price..

Hmm, again it’s all down to personal opinions and these are your views some of which I agree and others perhaps not, but you have my full support on one thing that the value of this car, I do believe it’s a great car for the price..
You asked me what I thought of it.

I took the time to answer.

And then you dismiss my thoughts because you don’t agree with them.

If you don’t want to know what people think then don’t ask - I only posted my thoughts because you asked for them.

Been drawing up a comparison table between the Leaf Tekna and the MG Exclusive. The e-Niro beats both but is too expensive. Features - who wins

Warranty - MG
Sunroof - MG
Parking Sensors - Leaf
Climate Control - Leaf
Roof Rails - MG
LED Headlights - Leaf
Electric adjust seats - MG
Overall build quality - Leaf (maybe qualitative - but I think most side by side motor trade reviews have said the same)
Battery Management - MG
Charging Port - Leaf
360 Deg Camera - Leaf
Alarm - Leaf (maybe a tie - Leaf is Thatcham rated - not clear on MG)
Heated Rear Seats - Leaf
Dash Info Screen - Leaf
Infotainment System - Leaf
Price - MG
Sound System - Leaf
Practicality - MG
Handling - Leaf (not much in it, they are SUVs, neither is great)
Support - unsure, Nissan feels more accessible
Supporting British Industry - Leaf

If you gave each equal weighting the Leaf would win but I think the MG scores higher in some important areas so it leaves them very close.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
You asked me what I thought of it.

I took the time to answer.

And then you dismiss my thoughts because you don’t agree with them.

If you don’t want to know what people think then don’t ask - I only posted my thoughts because you asked for them.

Cheers,

Nigel
Hi Nigel,
I’m sorry I didn’t mean to dismiss your thoughts, these are your thoughts. All I trying to say is that my thoughts differ from yours, not saying you are wrong or that I am right.
But I do believe that for the money the car is great value compared to the rest of the market and more established brands.
I didn’t mean to cause any offence.

@Sam47.

Sorry to hear that you've had problems with testing out the car.

Despite living in Inverness, I bought my ZS EV from South Shields. I bought it from them as they has white ZS Exclusives in stock at the time and were great to speak to.
They couldn't have been more helpful.
In fact, the first car I enquired about was an ex-demo but someone else had shown an interest and bought it. But they knew that they had another model, and I had it booked for me there and then.

Having spoken to a dealer who only sells electric cars secondhand he rated the Nissan Leaf as the best as it is a well established make and brand and electric cars have been made by Nissan for years .Each car will have its Pro and Cons but at the end of the day its what you enjoy driving as we do spend a lot of time in our cars and unfortunately it is based on income/ debt we are prepared to stretch to.

How was your drive home? Where did you charge? I have had one since March and have only used home charger so far.

How was your drive home? Where did you charge? I have had one since March and have only used home charger so far.
Hi, by home charger do you mean the granny cable?if so how long does it take to charge car.

@Sam47.

Sorry to hear that you've had problems with testing out the car.

Despite living in Inverness, I bought my ZS EV from South Shields. I bought it from them as they has white ZS Exclusives in stock at the time and were great to speak to.
They couldn't have been more helpful.
In fact, the first car I enquired about was an ex-demo but someone else had shown an interest and bought it. But they knew that they had another model, and I had it booked for me there and then.
Wow that was quite a hike. I did the NC 500 in our MGTF last year and started in Inverness. Took us nearly a full day to drive there. Ironically it sounds like we both visited the same MG Dealer in South Shields. I complained in my first post about having to drive nearly 30 miles.?.
i did find the South Shields MG dealer much more helpfull. unfortunately i have to wait 8 weeks for my first choice of colour, dynamic red. ☹️

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom