I used the parking brake !!

Gomev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Having had the car for 2 years and a ZS EV before that for a year I had never used the parking brake switch on either car until this last weekend. :)
I had always found the footbrake, Autohold and Park to cover all my needs for holding the car when stopped. However for some reason sat at lights I thought I would give the switch a tug to try it out. I have to say pull away is a lot smoother than using autohold.
I'm guessing as not verified for myself yet that the parking brake does not illuminate the brake lights like autohold does, so may be more friendly to any cars behind.

Anybody else use the parking brake regularly or just tried something they hadn't used before in the car ?

Yeah I didn't like the autohold...I don't like that it leaves the brake lights on so you blind the people beind you at night so I switched it off. Was using the main parking brake button for ages, but discovered accidentally that if you use the parking brake switch instead, you can just drive away as it doesn't take you out of drive.

And to answer your bit about the lights, they turn off when it's engaged and your foot is off the brake :)

Do use it occasionally if stuck somewhere for a while (like stupidly configured temporary traffic lights).

Oh also if the cruse control has stopped the car for long enough it will eventually switch to using the parking brake and release the main brakes. Found that one out when the m1 had come to a standstill

I tried autohold but as you say it leaves the brake lights on, I always use the parking switch that's probably why my park control hasn't worn at all.

Having had the car for 2 years and a ZS EV before that for a year I had never used the parking brake switch on either car until this last weekend. :)
I had always found the footbrake, Autohold and Park to cover all my needs for holding the car when stopped. However for some reason sat at lights I thought I would give the switch a tug to try it out. I have to say pull away is a lot smoother than using autohold.
I'm guessing as not verified for myself yet that the parking brake does not illuminate the brake lights like autohold does, so may be more friendly to any cars behind.

Anybody else use the parking brake regularly or just tried something they hadn't used before in the car ?
Yeah I like the park break as well.

it’s not very often I use the autohold.

I tried autohold but as you say it leaves the brake lights on, I always use the parking switch that's probably why my park control hasn't worn at all.
I only ever use Park when I park but l want to leave the HV connected, say for heating when waiting for the missus, otherwise I just turn the car off which does it for me. :)

I use the parking brake a lot. It's more considerate for the driver behind and makes for a much smoother take-off.

I missed hand brake and clutch for precision biting point control with hill start.

I did not like auto hold because I have down slope start on my driveway. Car does not move after releasing of foot brake. Do I remember to turn off auto hold or should I depress gas pedal for down hill start? My son suggested I should use one foot on each pedal.

Thanks for tips on parking brake. I did not realise that I could use it on road. That will put me back in control. Or I should use to the new trick on controlling auto hold.

If you are stopped at a set of lights and have auto hold on, if you press auto hold again it turns off auto hold and turns on the park brake.
And your still in drive, so the pull away is smoother.

Bit of a flaff but just in case you didn't know.
The only downside is at the next junction/ lights, auto hold will be off.

I missed hand brake and clutch for precision biting point control with hill start.

I did not like auto hold because I have down slope start on my driveway. Car does not move after releasing of foot brake. Do I remember to turn off auto hold or should I depress gas pedal for down hill start? My son suggested I should use one foot on each pedal.

Thanks for tips on parking brake. I did not realise that I could use it on road. That will put me back in control. Or I should use to the new trick on controlling auto hold.
Hill Hold will be in effect. Look it up in the manual if you are not already aware of what it is.
Assuming you intend going down the slope, switch on, foot on brake, put in correct gear F/R and then remove foot from brake pedal. Brakes will release on their own after approx a couple of secs and you will roll away.

Just to be clear I was talking about the parking brake, NOT the big P button on the gear selector.
I forgot the P button completely.

I guess the only useful feature on this button is for changing from D to P with one click?

If you are stopped at a set of lights and have auto hold on, if you press auto hold again it turns off auto hold and turns on the park brake.
And your still in drive, so the pull away is smoother.

Bit of a flaff but just in case you didn't know.
The only downside is at the next junction/ lights, auto hold will be off.
OK. If you do the above then.. when the red brake icon is showing and the park brake switch lights up red, press the auto Hill hold button once more.

This results in puking away from the parking brake and still having auto hill hold staying active for the next junction.

OK. If you do the above then.. when the red brake icon is showing and the park brake switch lights up red, press the auto Hill hold button once more.

This results in puking away from the parking brake and still having auto hill hold staying active for the next junction.
Hill hold is not controllable by a button/switch/setting, it's just exists Autohold has it's own button.
Two different things.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom