Indian MG website claim for ZS EV range is 419km!?!?! What the.....?

PleasureMachine

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,

I was on the hunt for a list of car accessories as the Australian website is next to useless for getting detailed information on the car......

Anyway, the claimed range on the Indian MG website (here) claims a range of 419km!!! Snipped screenshot below for reference. I can't find the reference to their testing standard via the * noted but this stated range is much more than the claim in here of 260km.

What is the reasoning? I can only assume the testing requirements are more stringent in Australia and more realistic? This isn't an upgrade or some sort of software update.

The batteries are the same size, though on the Indian site it notes the battery as "44.5 KWH Hi-Tech Battery"

Not sure if this is covered off somewhere else but it also seems the features offered for the car in India seem much more extravagant compared with what is offered here.

Would love to know your thoughts/insights. Thanks.

Screenshot 2021-05-04 193554.png

Last edited:
I've taken time now to dig a little deeper and downloaded the brochure from the Indian site and finally found the following subnote relating to the range – *The range figure is based of ICAT certification in test conditions.

ICAT appears to be International Centre of Automotive Technology (ICAT), in India. A simple search doesn't seem to compare the differences between NEDC vs WLTP vs ICAT testing standards.

It appears the 263km stated on the Aussie website is WLTP
  • The MG ZS EV has a range of 263 km on the WLTP Combined cycle from a single charge and a range of 372 km on the City Driving Cycle from a single charge.
So unsure how these testing specs compare – though a 156km difference is quite a jump.

Upvote 0
It's been discussed somewhere else on here; they've changed the test that is being used in India on the "new" car (it wasn't the WLTP previous either), so it makes it look like it's got better range.
It appears to be, so that from an advertising perspective it's more on a par with the Kona I think it was.

Upvote 0
Just out of interest I was looking at various reviews of the Indian extended range 2021 MG ZS EVs found this video took some screen shots (can't understand what they are saying) ☹️ but i-smart is showing 90% charge with a range of 298 km in eco mode (185 miles) which does seem to indicate it has more range than older models ☹️ will have to wait for more reviews to see what mileage Indian owners can actually achieve.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210506-201959.png
    Screenshot_20210506-201959.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot_20210506-202122.png
    Screenshot_20210506-202122.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 166
Upvote 0
MG Costa Rica claim a range 428 km but they say this range is only achievable at 60 km/h. I am getting a range ~320 km because of my driving conditions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Recently brought 2021 ZS EV Indian edition and all this improved range thing is just MG's marketing gimmick. Here in India the standards like ARAI and ICAT are kind of hypermiling tests which is contradictory to WLTP standards.

So these numbers not near the real world scenarios. Here we get a real world range between 300km to 350km based on the driving conditions and little lightfoot. Warm conditions here helps it seems. If you can switch off the air-con we may able to cross the 400km mark.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom