• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Infotainment limitation of the hardware or?

TripleJ

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Marvel R
Hi
I am close to buy a Marvel R.
But I am a little hold back because of the laggy infotainment. For you that have the car do it laggy and a real pain after you bought it. ? Have there been any software updates at all that fixes some of the issues. I worried if the system will lack of updates and maybe if the HW below might be the issue and not the software.
Thanks.

The infotainment might not be as snappy as the top notch pads/phones but I find it ok enough.
You just have to adjust slightly cause the screen needs a firmer/longer touch that what we're used to on our phones. Fumbling with the screen while driving is just idiocy anyway, so the little extra touch is just something to get used to.
No idea what the hardware behind is or what the OS are either, but I'm trying to figure out if there are a way to connect with a computer. Hope I can observe the techs when they do a system upgrade next time :)

The infotainment might not be as snappy as the top notch pads/phones but I find it ok enough.
You just have to adjust slightly cause the screen needs a firmer/longer touch that what we're used to on our phones. Fumbling with the screen while driving is just idiocy anyway, so the little extra touch is just something to get used to.
No idea what the hardware behind is or what the OS are either, but I'm trying to figure out if there are a way to connect with a computer. Hope I can observe the techs when they do a system upgrade next time :)
Thanks for the info. 🙂
Glad to hear it’s manageable just with a little patience and longer presses.
It should be OTA updates I believe right ? So you could do it your self. I’ve tried to look up what the latest update for the car is and what is the fixes etc. can’t find anything.

Some updates are OTA, but the major "backbone" stuff must be done at the shop. I believe my version is R18 and the latest should be R21. My system gives me no updates. Also, the map must be updated manually (doing that as I type). Map files are 18gig and takes ages to copy. 115 thousand frelling files!!!! at 15% and 3 hours to go copying, even with USB3.1 dongle. Gonna ask the shop to do it next service :)

Some updates are OTA, but the major "backbone" stuff must be done at the shop. I believe my version is R18 and the latest should be R21. My system gives me no updates. Also, the map must be updated manually (doing that as I type). Map files are 18gig and takes ages to copy. 115 thousand frelling files!!!! at 15% and 3 hours to go copying, even with USB3.1 dongle. Gonna ask the shop to do it next service :)
Wow that’s insane size for map files 🙂 it’s cool you can update by it self though also.
I see so still the shop is needed for the major updates. Do you have any info on what might be in the R21 release. ? Is the R18 your own the initial version from when you bought the car or have there been several updates.
Next service ? How often do you need to have the car to service they claim ? Maintenance should be really low.

Only had the car a month. The version is what it came with, although the dealer should have updated it before I got it. Latest version was out before I got the car. Only info I know about the update is "bugfixes", so sod all :)
MG claims annual service is needed. Lets see what they charge in 11 months :)

Wow that’s insane size for map files 🙂 it’s cool you can update by it self though also.
I see so still the shop is needed for the major updates. Do you have any info on what might be in the R21 release. ? Is the R18 your own the initial version from when you bought the car or have there been several updates.
Next service ? How often do you need to have the car to service they claim ? Maintenance should be really low.
If you are talking a Mk2 Zs trophy or SE where did you get the map file from?

Only had the car a month. The version is what it came with, although the dealer should have updated it before I got it. Latest version was out before I got the car. Only info I know about the update is "bugfixes", so sod all :)
MG claims annual service is needed. Lets see what they charge in 11 months :)
Thanks again mate. For all the info. 🙂 I will be sure to ask the dealer to update it if I decide to buy it. Yeah would be nice if it was easy to find some info out there for what’s in the release. I’ll ask my dealer. 🙂

Thanks again mate. For all the info. 🙂 I will be sure to ask the dealer to update it if I decide to buy it. Yeah would be nice if it was easy to find some info out there for what’s in the release. I’ll ask my dealer. 🙂
I'm very happy with my performance model. There are always something that could be better or different, but I believe its like that for all cars. The Bose soundsystem lacks the punch my old outlander had. Placement and size is just wrong from Bose.

I'm very happy with my performance model. There are always something that could be better or different, but I believe its like that for all cars. The Bose soundsystem lacks the punch my old outlander had. Placement and size is just wrong from Bose.
It’s also a performance model “demo” I can buy 46 KM so a new car. With the brown interior. Looks nice and different. Yeah the sound was my second concern as I didn’t have the chance to test it while trying the car. Though it has a sub in the back I read that it’s basically “just” standard speakers at best with a Bose sticker. I come from a Peugeot 5008 with a Focal sound system + sub and it’s very impressive. But overall for the price of the car I think it’s packed with features and comfort nonetheless. 🙂

I don't own an Marvel yet, but have ordered one. The infotainment concerns me a bit since many reviewers have been critical about the responsiveness and I also had an opportunity to try it out once more last week. You really have to press firmly at the exact location of the buttons and then there's a short delay. They really need to fix this. Although I fear the responsiveness is a hardware issue, but the rest could be fixed with software optimization.

There's also plenty of other things that needs to be fixed in softare, one example is the lane assist, which is pretty bad. I know that when using MG pilot it becomes a bit softer, but I'm not intending of using the MG pilot all the time.

There's quite a lot of other issues that user in the Swedish FB group have been pointing out.

I really hope MG are working on these and it would be nice for some transparency of what they are doing.

I don't own an Marvel yet, but have ordered one. The infotainment concerns me a bit since many reviewers have been critical about the responsiveness and I also had an opportunity to try it out once more last week. You really have to press firmly at the exact location of the buttons and then there's a short delay. They really need to fix this. Although I fear the responsiveness is a hardware issue, but the rest could be fixed with software optimization.

There's also plenty of other things that needs to be fixed in softare, one example is the lane assist, which is pretty bad. I know that when using MG pilot it becomes a bit softer, but I'm not intending of using the MG pilot all the time.

There's quite a lot of other issues that user in the Swedish FB group have been pointing out.

I really hope MG are working on these and it would be nice for some transparency of what they are doing.
That’s exactly my thoughts as well and reason to post here. It would make my decision so my easier if there was someone that had som experience going from the R18 to the R21 version as I was recently told is available. And share if the touch, speed, lane assist etc got improved. Also just some release notes to read somewhere about what’s fixed / new would help.

That’s exactly my thoughts as well and reason to post here. It would make my decision so my easier if there was someone that had som experience going from the R18 to the R21 version as I was recently told is available. And share if the touch, speed, lane assist etc got improved. Also just some release notes to read somewhere about what’s fixed / new would help.
It's a bit unclear what r21 gives over r18 except enabling over the internet updating of the infotainment. Doesn't seem to have done any major improvements in responsiveness.

I don't think it has improved the driver assistance systems since that softare is probably separated from the infotainment. Most likely that would require an update at a workshop. Haven't heard from anyone in the FB group of any improvements in this regard either.

I just got my MG Marvel R luxury yesterday and I got to say that I don't find the infotainment system that bad to use. It's not the most responsive but it's okay to work with. When I got the car it had an over the air up date and it asked me to reboot the system. I am also installing the latest maps update now.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom