Infotainment screen getting confused

Ian Key

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I don't know if anyone else has found that if they switch the lights from auto to off before the infotainment screen has finished booting it gets confused and gives up.
It seems to start in light mode then realises the lights are on so better switch to dark mode then while it's still booting you switch the lights off so it goes back to light mode before throwing in the towel.
Pressing the home button for a few seconds brings it back to life.

I don't know if anyone else has found that if they switch the lights from auto to off before the infotainment screen has finished booting it gets confused and gives up.
It seems to start in light mode then realises the lights are on so better switch to dark mode then while it's still booting you switch the lights off so it goes back to light mode before throwing in the towel.
Pressing the home button for a few seconds brings it back to life.
You obviously get in quicker than me, I am usually adjusting the seat / mirrors while it boots.

I keep forgetting which way to turn the gear selector knob.
When parking I make the mistake, usually when someone else is in the car as well, of being too blasé about changing from D to R, but not turning the knob enough, so I get the centre position. Because, of course, I get nothing happening I turn the knob again, this time in the wrong direction.
I'm then taken completely by surprise when the car then charges at the garden wall before I panic and have to brake hard. I then have to look at my passenger, laugh apologetically with a muttered " hehe, it does that sometimes" and actually look at what my hand is doing.
By this time my passenger is halfway out the door vowing never to trust electric cars (or maybe just me :unsure:) ever again.

I keep forgetting which way to turn the gear selector knob.
When parking I make the mistake, usually when someone else is in the car as well, of being too blasé about changing from D to R, but not turning the knob enough, so I get the centre position. Because, of course, I get nothing happening I turn the knob again, this time in the wrong direction.
I'm then taken completely by surprise when the car then charges at the garden wall before I panic and have to brake hard. I then have to look at my passenger, laugh apologetically with a muttered " hehe, it does that sometimes" and actually look at what my hand is doing.
By this time my passenger is halfway out the door vowing never to trust electric cars (or maybe just me :unsure:) ever again.
I think the whole shelf is pretty redundant and a simple lever could suffice front-to-back with a traditional auto P-R-N-D or a column shift. Never use the handbrake so that could be got rid of.

I think the whole shelf is pretty redundant and a simple lever could suffice front-to-back with a traditional auto P-R-N-D or a column shift. Never use the handbrake so that could be got rid of.
A column shift you say, what a good idea! There exactly where it's handy, moved with a quick flick of your finger without having to take your hand of the wheel.

Quality idea tsedge, it will never catch on😉

A column shift you say, what a good idea! There exactly where it's handy, moved with a quick flick of your finger without having to take your hand of the wheel.

Quality idea tsedge, it will never catch on😉
Surprised that the French car doesn't have a column brake and colimn accelerator.

Surprised that the French car doesn't have a column brake and colimn accelerator.
It does it has a column parking brake, on the end of your very excellent idea, that would improve the MG4 " the column shift" there is a button that engages and disengages the parking break.

This thread must hold the record for going off at a tangent the quickest 🤣
Merely complementing tsedge on his very excellent idea that would improve the functionality of the MG4.
If he keeps these great ideas up he might just make it onto my favourites list😁

This thread must hold the record for going off at a tangent the quickest 🤣
A worthy record holder.
It does it has a column parking brake, on the end of your very excellent idea, that would improve the MG4 " the column shift" there is a button that engages and disengages the parking break.
I think it was Jaguar and BMW that started this trend of a dial that you turn and click. May have had a point once but I think it is now just a fashion.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back