Infotainment system update not done at service interval

Steve58

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi I've had my MG4 Trophy LR for a year and put up with the challenging infotainment system because it's a great car to drive. Mine has not been back to the dealer. The first service is due (booked end of March) and I have patiently waited hoping the software update would be done at the service and solve some problems, particularly Apple CarPlay and bluetooth phone connectivity. I've just been told by the dealer that this won't happen! I've booked an infotainment system diag but the earliest I could get was in three months time, is this just my dealer or a general problem?

It does take a while to update the various components before doing the infotainment but they should be factoring it in with booking the service if possible.
That’s why I booked mine to be done before the service was due: called them in November was given a date in January. I guess they know an extensive upgrade can cause issues which they would need to then investigate and if that happened at the beginning or end of a service that would be a nightmare to sort out.

I took mine in twice to upgrade. Didn't happen. Told R24 was the latest. Its not.
They don't like that you say them what to do. You should complain about BT and AA to get the R46/R33 (for non trophy models).

Its dumb because you have to complain about every single problem. In my case they updated only the infotainment system. At tuesday i will go to the dealer and complain about sudden rear autonomous braking, LKA, and ACC.

MG should release an all system update campaign in my opinion. Their main competitors in Europe (BYD) already have a working all systems OTA updates.

Have the same issue here, have no real issues, my only gripe with the infotainment is the android auto black screen, and would like to update it to see if this fixes it. Bluetooth seems to work fine most of the time.

However my dealer refuses to update it as it seems he had bad experiences in the past. Dealer might be right here... but you never know. Guess I'll be stuck with my firmware unless this file is somehow leaked.

It does take a while to update the various components before doing the infotainment but they should be factoring it in with booking the service if possible.
That’s why I booked mine to be done before the service was due: called them in November was given a date in January. I guess they know an extensive upgrade can cause issues which they would need to then investigate and if that happened at the beginning or end of a service that would be a nightmare to sort out.
Thanks for the info, I have been a bit naive!

They don't like that you say them what to do. You should complain about BT and AA to get the R46/R33 (for non trophy models).

Its dumb because you have to complain about every single problem. In my case they updated only the infotainment system. At tuesday i will go to the dealer and complain about sudden rear autonomous braking, LKA, and ACC.

MG should release an all system update campaign in my opinion. Their main competitors in Europe (BYD) already have a working all systems OTA updates.
Useful advice thanks.

Given all the problems with MG and their software I would think that letting them loose with OTA is the last thing we want. At least now, if there is a problem with the update it is up to the dealer to fix as they have the car on site.
Imagine an OTA that fails on your car at home and then having to wait a couple of months for an appointment. Think of the apocalypse if they were to brick several thousand cars on the same day!

Given all the problems with MG and their software I would think that letting them loose with OTA is the last thing we want. At least now, if there is a problem with the update it is up to the dealer to fix as they have the car on site.
Imagine an OTA that fails on your car at home and then having to wait a couple of months for an appointment. Think of the apocalypse if they were to brick several thousand cars on the same day!
I have a BYD atto3, they release every 1-1.5 months OTA update. No problem at all.

I have a BYD atto3, they release every 1-1.5 months OTA update. No problem at all.
I’m not saying that OTA is bad. Most companies do it just fine. I’m just saying that with there inability to deliver suitable software would you really want them to be sending random files to your car?

Good point but as cars become more like smartphones car manufacturers are going to have to be more like Apple and Microsoft, making sure bug fixes work properly before release,. problem
is I expect a 33k investment to be supported longer than a Ik phone.

We had a similar frustration today having put the car in for the service - before we filled in a questionnaire about the problems we had been having.

Required the car all day to complete the (most basic) service and told they need the car in again to look into the other issues and the earliest is just a month away :( . One bonus was they did experience one of the issues on the test drive (speed recognition not working)

Last edited:
I’m not saying that OTA is bad. Most companies do it just fine. I’m just saying that with there inability to deliver suitable software would you really want them to be sending random files to your car?
In this case yes. The BYD had the same problems as the MG4 like LKA and sudden auto braking. They fix it at OTA update. At the MG i need to go to the dealer which a lot of time refuse to install the fixed software.

It's stupid that I have to get into a near-accident situation for them to agree to install software updates that solve the problem. I want them to take care of it proactively without the need to get into a dangerous situation or experience the malfunction.

There's few problems with the infotainment software after it's been installed (standard bugs notwithstanding). It's pretty easy to roll out OTA Infotainment updates in the same manner as they're done at dealers.
Obviously module updates for critical things like braking, cameras etc should be done on-site, but Infotainment isn't critical, and is basically just checking that a file has downloaded properly, installing, checking the install has completed successfully, and saving the changes. Millions of pieces of software do it every day.

There's few problems with the infotainment software after it's been installed (standard bugs notwithstanding). It's pretty easy to roll out OTA Infotainment updates in the same manner as they're done at dealers.
Obviously module updates for critical things like braking, cameras etc should be done on-site, but Infotainment isn't critical, and is basically just checking that a file has downloaded properly, installing, checking the install has completed successfully, and saving the changes. Millions of pieces of software do it every day.
Yes, after all the infotainment is just an Android based system. Like millions of smartphones. Some manufacturers do all modules OTAs but it's not expected from MG because they said at launch that OTA will be only for the infotainment.

In my view they are probably being cautious about OTA updates for the infotainment system as some of the first few done at the dealers bricked the car. They don't want the untrained public doing the same and have to recover 1000s of stranded MGs.

I'd expect their OTA implementation process to be as "smooth" as, for example, iSmart updates...

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back