Infrastructure rant- 1st long road trip disaster (long one)

Chrismgzs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So I bought my ZS EV end of May and it has been amazing for doing my 60-mile round trip to work. However, I recently went on my first long road trip from Hull to Newcastle and then on to Edinburgh and back. Every journey was a disaster.

So I planned my route, had plenty of stops so that I would only need to spend 10 minutes at each charger and would never get down to 3 bars. This was ruined by lack of chargers, inconsiderate EV drivers and machines not working. I'm actually embarrassed to tell my friends & family how it went as I've been bigging up electric cars to them and now I feel like an idiot- they were right, the UK is not ready for them yet!

This is a long one so good if you're bored, but explains all the difficulties I faced.

Journey 1- Hull to Wetherby Services. The police closed the M62 so I had to make a detour which missed Wetherby, no problem- I had a back-up of Boroughbridge. Only 1 rapid charger- luckily no one charging at the time. Tried to pay, came up with an error message, checked my bank 2 lots of £15 authorisation fee had come out, but no charge. Called the 'emergency helpline', gave up after 20 minutes on hold (already double my planned stop time and I had a wedding to get to). Ended up, after several more phone calls in the coming weeks, having to go through my bank to get it refunded.

Decided to drive on to Scotch Corner. Very very busy, took an hour to just get into the car park. 4 rapid chargers, but only 3 spaces, and only 2 could charge at the same time. 1 car apparently been there over an hour with no owner and another 3 cars waiting to charge so I drove on to the next charger, another 30 minutes to get out of the car park (1 hour 30 min for what should have been a 10 minute stop- and still no charge since leaving Hull).

Luckily made it to Washington Northbound, only 1 rapid charger but managed to charge up without any issues.

Journey 2- Newcastle (going from Airport hotel) to Edinburgh (hence the route- I now realise I should have gone A1 route as there are more chargers- hindsight, eh). Topped up to full at Ponteland- great. Stopped part way in Jedburgh, only 1 rapid charger, in use, waited 10 minutes for them to finish. Then I had to call the number to get it working, 20 minutes on hold. 10 minutes charge, then another 10 minutes on hold to end the charge. Nearly an hour for what should have been a 10 minute stop.

Drove on and wanted to top-up just outside Edinburgh, stopped at Lauder. Plugged in, again had to call to start the charge. 10 minutes on hold to be told there was an error and I'd have to go to another charger. Unplugged and was going to just go straight to Edinburgh as I'd already spent more than 10 minutes there and only wanted a top-up. My car would not move. It wouldn't even turn off. Tried to get someone to jump start my car, that didn't work. So called the breakdown company, 20 minutes later it randomly started again, so cancelled the breakdown and headed to Edinburgh without a charge.

Journey Home- Skipped Lauder because of the issues before and tried to stop in Earlston, only 1 rapid charger, in use and no sign of owner. Drove on to Jedburgh, only 1 rapid charger and in use, even the slow charger was in use and no sign of either driver. Only had 30 miles of range left and 49 miles to the next rapid charger so I waited. I was there over an hour (the EV bay is max stay 45 minutes) and there was no sign of the owner. It was getting late, 8pm so I had a look around the village, no one to be seen, they had been there that long that the charger had turned off as both cars were full.

I ended up very slowly driving to Otterburn where there was a slow charger, gave me an extra few miles (not many) in the 30-45 minutes I was there. Then slowly drove on back to Ponteland. Arrived there with 6% battery after driving at 30mph on 60mph roads. Charged up fully while having a lovely meal at the local Indian place (I was considerate though, unlike the previous drivers I'd encountered, and left a note in my car with a contact number in case anyone needed the charger).

Overnight stay in Newcastle. On the way home, stopped at Wetherby, lots of rapid chargers, but again, for some reason it would not charge my car despite charging my bank card. Drove on to Ferrybridge, only 1 rapid charger and in use, machine said they'd been there over 30 mins so I started on the slow charger, planning on transferring over once they were back, 20 minutes later (50 minutes of them charging on rapid) still no sign of them and I had to get off, I was only planning on being there 20 minutes. I had only got a few miles of range from this, so cautiously drove home. Had to pop to another slow charger on route to get an extra few miles to make it home.

I had written to my MP about lack of rapid chargers a month or so before this. The government's response was that there are rapid chargers every 25 miles on major A roads and motorways. What they fail to understand is that 1 rapid charger is not enough. If it is in use, it's 50 miles to a charger, if that's in use then it's 75 miles to a charger. etc. And what about when there are detours (happen all the time when driving on motorways at night) then you're not on a major motorway and there isn't a charger for a long time- sometimes too long. Add to the lack of chargers- inconsiderate drivers who leave their cars on charge for hours with no contact number and driving an electric car is not worth the hassle and time. I would not have been able to do that journey with kids. Luckily, my wife wasn't too annoyed but imagine all the hassle I had but with screaming kids. This journey made me miss my petrol car.

On a plus though, I did the whole trip on about £3.80! (After all of the holding fees were returned- which took a couple of weeks!).

I’m struggling to understand how planning 10 minute stops would work. My car battery is smaller than yours, but I still plan to charge from about 20% to at least 80% in 20-30 minutes.
When planning a journey where I know I will need to rapid charge, I allocate an hour extra time for each stop in case the charger is in use or faulty. I’m looking forward to the charging infrastructure being good enough so that I don’t have to do that.

If I have plugged in and I know that I’m going to need to wait 20 minutes for a charge, I will leave the car and go and have something to drink and have a comfort break. It’s normal for people rapid charging to leave their cars. But it’s totally unacceptable for them to be absent when the car is already charged up to 80%, so I can empathise with your frustration waiting for abandoned EVs on rapid chargers.
I would leave (and have left) an angry note.

Do you use Zap Map or A better route planner to plan your charging locations? And Waze for navigation?

We have been driving an EV for 4 years and could foresee this issue. All was easy upto 2021 when the ev adoption took off but the number of rapid chargers did not drastically increase on the motorway network.

The solution I have found is to try to avoid the services, I use Zap map to find chargers just off the motorway at Lidls, Marston Pubs etc.

At the services it's often a case of broken chargers, drivers who are new to the charging process and slow it down, not enough chargers or drivers who walk off and leave their car plugged in but not charging. Most ev drivers are courteous but some are not unfortunately.

Dont be afraid to check if a car is charging and if it's not unplug the cable and use it. Warning-be prepared to have to explain to the car owner that you would not have been able to remove the plug if the car was still charging.

Also dont charge unless you need to, adopt a different driving style for long journeys, travel at optimum speed for best range and turn off the gadgets and gizmos.

Finally on long journeys I try to plan a charge stop when I think others won't ie early morning or evening.

Aside to that it is tricky at the moment.

Last edited:
So I bought my ZS EV end of May and it has been amazing for doing my 60-mile round trip to work. However, I recently went on my first long road trip from Hull to Newcastle and then on to Edinburgh and back. Every journey was a disaster.

So I planned my route, had plenty of stops so that I would only need to spend 10 minutes at each charger and would never get down to 3 bars. This was ruined by lack of chargers, inconsiderate EV drivers and machines not working. I'm actually embarrassed to tell my friends & family how it went as I've been bigging up electric cars to them and now I feel like an idiot- they were right, the UK is not ready for them yet!

This is a long one so good if you're bored, but explains all the difficulties I faced.

Journey 1- Hull to Wetherby Services. The police closed the M62 so I had to make a detour which missed Wetherby, no problem- I had a back-up of Boroughbridge. Only 1 rapid charger- luckily no one charging at the time. Tried to pay, came up with an error message, checked my bank 2 lots of £15 authorisation fee had come out, but no charge. Called the 'emergency helpline', gave up after 20 minutes on hold (already double my planned stop time and I had a wedding to get to). Ended up, after several more phone calls in the coming weeks, having to go through my bank to get it refunded.

Decided to drive on to Scotch Corner. Very very busy, took an hour to just get into the car park. 4 rapid chargers, but only 3 spaces, and only 2 could charge at the same time. 1 car apparently been there over an hour with no owner and another 3 cars waiting to charge so I drove on to the next charger, another 30 minutes to get out of the car park (1 hour 30 min for what should have been a 10 minute stop- and still no charge since leaving Hull).

Luckily made it to Washington Northbound, only 1 rapid charger but managed to charge up without any issues.

Journey 2- Newcastle (going from Airport hotel) to Edinburgh (hence the route- I now realise I should have gone A1 route as there are more chargers- hindsight, eh). Topped up to full at Ponteland- great. Stopped part way in Jedburgh, only 1 rapid charger, in use, waited 10 minutes for them to finish. Then I had to call the number to get it working, 20 minutes on hold. 10 minutes charge, then another 10 minutes on hold to end the charge. Nearly an hour for what should have been a 10 minute stop.

Drove on and wanted to top-up just outside Edinburgh, stopped at Lauder. Plugged in, again had to call to start the charge. 10 minutes on hold to be told there was an error and I'd have to go to another charger. Unplugged and was going to just go straight to Edinburgh as I'd already spent more than 10 minutes there and only wanted a top-up. My car would not move. It wouldn't even turn off. Tried to get someone to jump start my car, that didn't work. So called the breakdown company, 20 minutes later it randomly started again, so cancelled the breakdown and headed to Edinburgh without a charge.

Journey Home- Skipped Lauder because of the issues before and tried to stop in Earlston, only 1 rapid charger, in use and no sign of owner. Drove on to Jedburgh, only 1 rapid charger and in use, even the slow charger was in use and no sign of either driver. Only had 30 miles of range left and 49 miles to the next rapid charger so I waited. I was there over an hour (the EV bay is max stay 45 minutes) and there was no sign of the owner. It was getting late, 8pm so I had a look around the village, no one to be seen, they had been there that long that the charger had turned off as both cars were full.

I ended up very slowly driving to Otterburn where there was a slow charger, gave me an extra few miles (not many) in the 30-45 minutes I was there. Then slowly drove on back to Ponteland. Arrived there with 6% battery after driving at 30mph on 60mph roads. Charged up fully while having a lovely meal at the local Indian place (I was considerate though, unlike the previous drivers I'd encountered, and left a note in my car with a contact number in case anyone needed the charger).

Overnight stay in Newcastle. On the way home, stopped at Wetherby, lots of rapid chargers, but again, for some reason it would not charge my car despite charging my bank card. Drove on to Ferrybridge, only 1 rapid charger and in use, machine said they'd been there over 30 mins so I started on the slow charger, planning on transferring over once they were back, 20 minutes later (50 minutes of them charging on rapid) still no sign of them and I had to get off, I was only planning on being there 20 minutes. I had only got a few miles of range from this, so cautiously drove home. Had to pop to another slow charger on route to get an extra few miles to make it home.

I had written to my MP about lack of rapid chargers a month or so before this. The government's response was that there are rapid chargers every 25 miles on major A roads and motorways. What they fail to understand is that 1 rapid charger is not enough. If it is in use, it's 50 miles to a charger, if that's in use then it's 75 miles to a charger. etc. And what about when there are detours (happen all the time when driving on motorways at night) then you're not on a major motorway and there isn't a charger for a long time- sometimes too long. Add to the lack of chargers- inconsiderate drivers who leave their cars on charge for hours with no contact number and driving an electric car is not worth the hassle and time. I would not have been able to do that journey with kids. Luckily, my wife wasn't too annoyed but imagine all the hassle I had but with screaming kids. This journey made me miss my petrol car.

On a plus though, I did the whole trip on about £3.80! (After all of the holding fees were returned- which took a couple of weeks!).
I understand your cautiousness as this was your first 'long drive', I myself was a little anxious about getting too low on battery on my first long drive too. Needlessly so as it turned out.

However, you certainly seem to have planned a lot of unnecessary stops, eg Wetherby/Boroughbridge that caused you grief. You say you luckily made it to Washington, which should have been easily within range from Hull. Maybe all the detours for the failed chargers didn't help.

Rather than think of this as a nightmare journey think of it as a training exercise, a bit of an experiment. Hopefully you will take from this experience that you don't need to stop every 50 miles or so to top up., remember at 3 bars you still have 'half a tank' of electrons.
Anyway I hope this doesn't put you off and you give it another go. When you can let go of that range/charger anxiety it becomes a lot more pleasant.
Good luck for the future. :)

That sounds like a nightmare journey, you’re lucky your wife the next day didn’t make you drive immediately to swap the car for a petrol!

Some excellent comments from folk.
My limited experience of long journeys has been ok, courteous other ev owners charging, all chargers working (well one wasn’t online but still allowed us to charge).

We used Zap-Map and kept an eye on the state of the chargers we were planning to use whilst on route, it tells you if they’re in use, plus when last used so you have a reasonable idea if they’re working or not.

I’m not sure your 10min stop/charge approach is appropriate. You do need to make sure you have a couple of backup rapid chargers lined up in case, but there’s usually enough around currently to only need to plan on charging (in current temps) every 80 miles, always charge to 80 odd percent and do another 80 miles or so.

I’ve never had to resort to it, but there’s more slow chargers around on zap-map if it all went wrong and I got desperate.

ChrisT has made very good points, I can see it getting worse short term until places install lots more rapid chargers.

1 rapid charger per location isn’t an acceptable infrastructure, we’re lucky it’s been ok so far but with the numbers of owners going up fast they’ll soon be a big problem for long journeys.
I guess we’re lucky most EV owners tend to not do journeys that need much rapid charging.

A Shell petrol station nearby, recently closed for a while for a full courtyard refurb, I checked when it reopened - ZERO chargers installed, how ridiculous is that.

For a while now, I read, all new chargers have to just accept payment by card. For my long journeys recently I needed to register for a couple of the networks though so could pay.

Try Costa Gosforth next time - 6 reliable Instavolt chargers, just off the A1 outside Newcastle. We could have made it there from Sheffield on our first long trip but erred on the side of caution and used an Instavolt charger at Bannantynes in Durham.

I ignore Wetherby services like the plague. How did using rapid chargers only cost £3.80? Unless some were free.

Unfortunately I think it's going to get worse before it gets better, but hopefully we'll get there in the end.
Meanwhile I'm not going any further than anywhere I can't get there and back without a charge. My ZS for local use and SWMBO's MG5 for day trips to the coast.

A suggestion above makes sense. Petrol/diesel fuel stations ought to be adding/replacing a charger to their forecourt, and as EV's become more popular, begin to replace their fuel pumps with chargers. Thus, it makes use of the existing re-fuelling network, and will keep the petrol stations in business.

Add a coffee machine and we will all be happy..

How's about that for a plan...:D

Hi chrismgzs
I have just read your post about the very disappointing journey you did recently and some of the things you have wrote about some have been written about may times before I am referring to chargers not working or time spent trying to get reply from so called help lines, money being taken from accounts the Authorisation or holding charges I think they are call it especially when you have not had a charge and then sometimes weeks before they are returned this should not be happening and I really don’t know why it’s done this way at all.

More annoying is cars being left on charge with no one returning to them this I find Infuriating I would say for certain all EV owners know roughly how long there car will need to charge on a fast or Rapid point or how much they need to get where they are going, also there is no excuse for not removing it from the bay when it’s done so that others can use it, going for a comfort break or to grab a drink etc doesn’t that long and as Stuart has already said it is unacceptable for the car to be left more than is needed the car should be moved or as you did a note with your number left for all to see this I think is a very good idea also as Stuart said leave a note and point out next time it could be them that has the problem if this very bad practice continues.

The only thing I wished you had done with the chargers that where available but wouldn’t work is named the operators who ever they where I:e BP pod-point ecotricity the only way some of these companies will improve there services and networks is by EV users naming them on forums like this and complaining to the operators with what ever mean you can even thou you have now done your journey and it’s over I would forward your post to the network operators as you said you have to your MP and then drivers will avoid them if they can of course.

Sorry you had such a crap journey but by doing what I have said above it might make it better the next time you or others do it eventually at lease we can change things
Les

Before I swapped my 7 month old ZS EV for the HS pHEV I would hire a golf for long journeys due to similar experiences. And I agree it’s a false economy on journey time to do short top ups.

Hmmm, that saga is making me wonder whether going for an MG5 is really a good decision. Fortunately nowadays I rarely do long journeys, but I would seriously consider using an ICE car instead. Does it imply that you really need to have an account with each provider prior to setting off, as you won't know which ones will be available (I understand that new chargers have to accept contactless payment) ?

i had a similar problem last week first long run from Durham to Liverpool and back topped up at birch on the way down with on problem at all got to Liverpool with 75% on the way home i was going to pop to Wetherby Services but missed the turning so Scotch Corner was next stop with 17% remaining could have possibly got home but would have been tight two new chargers but only one working had to wait 50 minuets for the charger but it was on free vend 3 other cars where waiting for me to finish so a top up to 50% then off home but you can only park two hours or you get charged

The previous posts make very sad reading and my experience with public charging is too limited to add any real value.
I do however report any faulty chargers to their owners and think the only way things will improve is to keep complaining, both to the companies and our politicians.

How do you do this I used Zap-Map to plan a route but could not work out how to use it as a satnav
1629058931654.png

Clicking on this arrow let’s you navigate to selected charge point via preferred navigation app

1629059001625.png

Lots of great points, it's definitely been a learning curve and I'm hoping my next long journey will be better, just hoping the government get things sorted sooner rather than later as I have noticed a lot of electric cars on the road this year, as other's have said, it's becoming unmanageable with such few charging points. I'm due to go to Whitby at some point and there are no rapid chargers there and only 4 slow chargers at an Aldi.

I use zap map to find chargers, then use Google Maps for the journey, I've not used Waze before so I will have a look into that.

It was so cheap as all the chargers that I used north of Newcastle were free and the one at Washington took an authorisation fee but then that was refunded and several weeks later no charge has come out, very strange.

In terms of going further without charging; I was originally using the quick 10 minute stops to avoid range anxiety, but that clearly hasn't worked. Now I know my car will go quite far, but if I leave it until 20% left and then I have the same issues I've faced on this one I will certainly run out of charge so I will probably stick at charging often, although I may stop a little less next time.

Yes, I left an angry note for the owner that abandoned their car in Jedburgh. Hopefully, they will be more considerate next time, one can hope.

Also, in terms of going slower than 70mph (I don't do more than 70, but I like cruising at 70 on motorways) and using less gadgets etc, I may need to start doing that until chargers are more available. However, I'm also in a bit of a battle between not having to charge as much- and being able to drive as close to how I would in a petrol car. I used to do trips down to London and back in 1 day, leave at say 7am and get back at 2am the next day. I can't do that anymore and it just adds fuel to the electric cars not being ready yet debate. If I could charge up as and when needed, it wouldn't actually add that much more time on. But leaving an extra hour on top of a charge in case of issues is absolutely unpractical.

Lots of great points, it's definitely been a learning curve and I'm hoping my next long journey will be better, just hoping the government get things sorted sooner rather than later as I have noticed a lot of electric cars on the road this year, as other's have said, it's becoming unmanageable with such few charging points. I'm due to go to Whitby at some point and there are no rapid chargers there and only 4 slow chargers at an Aldi.

I use zap map to find chargers, then use Google Maps for the journey, I've not used Waze before so I will have a look into that.

It was so cheap as all the chargers that I used north of Newcastle were free and the one at Washington took an authorisation fee but then that was refunded and several weeks later no charge has come out, very strange.

In terms of going further without charging; I was originally using the quick 10 minute stops to avoid range anxiety, but that clearly hasn't worked. Now I know my car will go quite far, but if I leave it until 20% left and then I have the same issues I've faced on this one I will certainly run out of charge so I will probably stick at charging often, although I may stop a little less next time.

Yes, I left an angry note for the owner that abandoned their car in Jedburgh. Hopefully, they will be more considerate next time, one can hope.

Also, in terms of going slower than 70mph (I don't do more than 70, but I like cruising at 70 on motorways) and using less gadgets etc, I may need to start doing that until chargers are more available. However, I'm also in a bit of a battle between not having to charge as much- and being able to drive as close to how I would in a petrol car. I used to do trips down to London and back in 1 day, leave at say 7am and get back at 2am the next day. I can't do that anymore and it just adds fuel to the electric cars not being ready yet debate. If I could charge up as and when needed, it wouldn't actually add that much more time on. But leaving an extra hour on top of a charge in case of issues is absolutely unpractical.
Realistically, the ZS hasn't got the range to be the right EV for someone who does a reasonable amount of long journeys that requires rapid charging.
If you do it once a month at most, and the route has quite a few rapid charger options that fit in - you can be looking on zap map what's available and choose appropriately so no sitting around waiting for a charger to become available, then it's ok.

The limited range does mean that you are even more reliant on there being several available/working chargers at roughly the right point (say within a 20mile range) on your route.

Realistically, you want to plan on having a charge location once you get to 25% remaining (to give you a safe amount remaining to get somewhere else etc), plus you can only charge "rapidly" to about 85%, means (except for when starting the journey when you'd have 100%) that you're only looking at doing (60% of 150) 90miles between charges on long journeys.
You really don't want to be doing regular long winter journeys requiring rapid chargers in the ZS!

It's kinda catch-22 at the moment; Not enough rapid chargers for EVs with smaller batteries; Not far in the future, there'll be lots of rapid chargers everywhere and most EVs will have bigger batteries to not be reliant on them LOL!!!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom