Installing heated seats

biscuits

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I just got an MG4 SE. My partner misses the lack of heated seats, so thinking about putting something in.
There are heated seat covers, cushions etc (cheap but potentially slip about and don't always look great), but also full-on kits that can go under a seat covering and are meant to mimic what a manufacturer might install (e.g., ShieldSquare Captcha).
Most seem to use or plug into the 12v socket, which I wouldn't use for anything anyway.
Any thoughts on this plan? Anyone know if the 12v socket is on the main battery or some secondary that it might not affect in reasonable bursts? I also heard the 12v isn't always-on, so shoudn't need to worry about getting out and forgetting it was left on.

I just got an MG4 SE. My partner misses the lack of heated seats, so thinking about putting something in.
There are heated seat covers, cushions etc (cheap but potentially slip about and don't always look great), but also full-on kits that can go under a seat covering and are meant to mimic what a manufacturer might install (e.g., ShieldSquare Captcha).
Most seem to use or plug into the 12v socket, which I wouldn't use for anything anyway.
Any thoughts on this plan?
The under the seat covering heater is something I've considered for our SE but I'll probably never do it.
I have removed and replaced seat covers before. Prior to going that route, find some videos on how to remove / replace coverings. It'll be seat out of the car, you'll need a nice large clean workbench. I'd imagine the MG4 is like most other manufacturers - but I haven't checked, where the seat covers are held on by 'hog rings'. You can open these with plyers but reclosing them at the finish is best with a special tool, available on eBay.
If you're an above average DIYer and you have all of the above and a large pot of brave pills give it a go but don't underestimate the level of the task.

Could you fit them over the seats and then put seat covers over them?
Might as well use simple heated seat covers then?

Just watched the video in the link, there's a reasonable overview of the work involved, this kit even includes rings and pliers. They do suggest you allow a day to do it. It's still more of a job than most people would tackle though.

I use a cover on mine.

The under the seat covering heater is something I've considered for our SE but I'll probably never do it.
I have removed and replaced seat covers before. Prior to going that route, find some videos on how to remove / replace coverings. It'll be seat out of the car, you'll need a nice large clean workbench. I'd imagine the MG4 is like most other manufacturers - but I haven't checked, where the seat covers are held on by 'hog rings'. You can open these with plyers but reclosing them at the finish is best with a special tool, available on eBay.
If you're an above average DIYer and you have all of the above and a large pot of brave pills give it a go but don't underestimate the level of the task.
I'm tempted to give it a go. The video for installing the elements is handy but I do think they skip over what looks like the tricky part - getting the covers off and then reattaching them. I might even take a seat out now and see how easy the covers look like they'd come off first. I'm assuming the car is too new for anyone to have a video or picture guide for mg4 seat cover removal. Nothing really came up after a quick search anyway.

But as far as wiring the elements in goes - would it look ok to wire into fuse F44? No always-on issues? If a kit was bought for each of the front seats, could two go into that same fuse?

Yes the vid shows the seat coming out and then the base cover is already off and you don't see it go on again.

It's not rocket science, just depends how brave / competent you are.

Try to find a generic video on removing / replacing car seat covers. I'm fairly certain that the MG4 is no different. I recovered an MX5 leather seat without prior experience.

Do be mindful of the indentation / groove across the seat, the material will have a pocket on the underside and a bar across the seat to pull the fabric down into a moulded groove in the rigid seat foam. So some heating kits have a cutout for this others detail how to remove sections of the heating matrix.

Can't comment on the fuses, but there's enough power in the car. That's the easy bit.

Thanks for the tip about the indentation. Going to have to look at the seat tomorrow and see what it's like under the cover and whether that particular kit can work with it.

And seriously rookie mg4 question here, but are there multiple batteries, and if so, would the 12v socket be off the main battery or is there a sort of secondary that it would use? I thought I remembered something in the manual about a main high power battery for the drive etc and then another elsewhere in the car, which I assumed was for subsystems. Maybe I read it wrong but I'd just be less tempted to give this a go if these kits were adding to the drain on the main battery...

Thanks for the tip about the indentation. Going to have to look at the seat tomorrow and see what it's like under the cover and whether that particular kit can work with it.

And seriously rookie mg4 question here, but are there multiple batteries, and if so, would the 12v socket be off the main battery or is there a sort of secondary that it would use? I thought I remembered something in the manual about a main high power battery for the drive etc and then another elsewhere in the car, which I assumed was for subsystems. Maybe I read it wrong but I'd just be less tempted to give this a go if these kits were adding to the drain on the main battery...
The car has a 12v battery and electrical system just like any other car you may have come across. Any car accessories are connect to this.

The traction or high voltage battery cannot be got at fortunately by us eager amateurs.

The heaters cannot take much power else we'd toast our delicate parts and they're to provide comfort not pain 😉

Last edited:
The car has a 12v battery and electrical system just like any other car you may have come across. Any car accessories connect to this.

The traction or high voltage battery cannot be got at fortunately by us eager amateurs.

The heaters cannot take much power else we'd toast our delicate parts and they're to provide comfort not pain 😉
You can't beat having warm buns first thing in the morning...
...for breakfast 😁

The 15amp fuse is 2nd in from the side and while the 'MG4 dash cam film' mentions it - does not actually use it but the one next to it - as did I for simplicity. You may want to test the fuses if size is an issue which my wife often re-assures me isn't.

PXL_20231106_140457528a.jpg

It looks like there would be one indentation/row for hog rings on both bum and back cushions.
The install instructions for that particular element makes it look longer and like it would cover much more of the cushions, but the spec length is given as 11in/28cm and the product looks square to me.

View attachment 21397
It looks like there would be one indentation/row for hog rings on both bum and back cushions.
The install instructions for that particular element makes it look longer and like it would cover much more of the cushions, but the spec length is given as 11in/28cm and the product looks square to me.
Yes, and perhaps the switches would be OK on the flat area of the centre console ahead of the cup holders?

it might be easier to preheat the cabin via the iSmart app 10 minutes before setting off.
The advantage of having heated seats is consuming much less range for creating a comfortable environment in cold weather conditions, as is a heat pump. Both are standard equipment on all BYD Dolfin, for about the same price. The MG4 basic model has a bigger batt but this difference is not shown in real range in cold weather conditions, although both basic models have LFP batteries. Having heated seats in an EV does make a difference.

The advantage of having heated seats is consuming much less range for creating a comfortable environment in cold weather conditions, as is a heat pump. Both are standard equipment on all BYD Dolfin, for about the same price. The MG4 basic model has a bigger batt but this difference is not shown in real range in cold weather conditions, although both basic models have LFP batteries. Having heated seats in an EV does make a difference.
Keeping my thoughts to MG4 as that's what most of us here have ;) However the question of heat the seats or the cabin is an interesting one. I'll ignore the pre-heat for now as I mainly use the car for long journeys, so the pre-heat is soon lost and it's at £peak grid power.

A question then for the Trophy girls & boys as they've the experience of the MG4s heated seats & its possibly weird HVAC system in those much colder days. Thinking of the colder days, not November in the UK! but after Christmas when temperatures will be down lower than now, given a long drive in 0-5 deg C would you rely on
  • cabin heat,
  • heated seats
  • or indeed both
I ask because of my experience of the MG4 through cold, perhaps especially damp weather. I know keeping the windows mist free is a challenge and some warm air moving over the windscreen is definitely required. If you demist with colder air you need a greater volume of it passing through the cabin. If your sat with just seat heating in such conditions do you not just end up with cold extremities but warm seat and back?

My Trophy's heating and heated seats / heated steering wheel / AC demisting work really well, clears quickly and it is easy to get a comfortable steady state.

The Trophy has more control over which air vents are operating and it is important to have the AC on to demist.

I typically in the cold winter mornings preheat the cabin with the heated seats on and then use the steering wheel heat when I get into the car.

As a SE owner with a plug in heated seat cover, I use mine for back and neck pain only. I did find leather seats have an ability to make you damp and cold and that's where the seat heater works. If batt consumption hits 2 then I'll power the seat with a jackary batt pack.

As a SE owner with a plug in heated seat cover, I use mine for back and neck pain only. I did find leather seats have an ability to make you damp and cold and that's where the seat heater works. If batt consumption hits 2 then I'll power the seat with a jackary batt pack.
A good point, perhaps trial an on top heater before fitting internal heated seats - thank you

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back