Instantaneous miles/kWh, missing? 🤔

richlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Is there any reason (e.g. technical) why we couldn't have an instantaneous readout of miles/kWh, similar to instantaneous mpg in an ICE car?

Personally, I'd quite like this partly out of interest though also to try and help improve efficiency when driving. We do have instant energy use from the battery, though it's only part of the puzzle.

Pretty sure I saw this attribute from the passenger seat of a Tesla recently.

Those are averaged readings (from start, since last charge, accumulated total), not instantaneous readings. That said, I always found the instantaneous mpg reading fairly pointless as efficient driving techniques are obvious - don't have a heavy right foot, on either the accelerator or the brake.

Bottom right of the driver display, the power meter. Sort of does this for you. The calibration units are not what you ask for but it has a similar effect. I find if my average M/kwh has reached 3.7 for example, then keeping the power meter at 15 or below will maintain that average, creeping above that will erode my average. Also watch it as you go up/down hill, it's just like an ICE instant MPG.

Those are averaged readings (from start, since last charge, accumulated total), not instantaneous readings. That said, I always found the instantaneous mpg reading fairly pointless as efficient driving techniques are obvious - don't have a heavy right foot, on either the accelerator or the brake.
It is obvious, but you can really finesse the technique with this reading. Subtle changes in the throttle can make a real difference, would be nice to see and couldn't have been too difficult to add. I always found instantaneous consumption useful in an ICE car (seems Tesla thinks it's helpful).

Bottom right of the driver display, the power meter. Sort of does this for you. The calibration units are not what you ask for but it has a similar effect. I find if my average M/kwh has reached 3.7 for example, then keeping the power meter at 15 or below will maintain that average, creeping above that will erode my average. Also watch it as you go up/down hill, it's just like an ICE instant MPG.
Yeah, it's helpful though it's not everything. You can have your power meter at 15% though the m/kWh can vary for this figure depending on the terrain, gradient, and conditions. I do as you say, though it's not quite the same as instantaneous MPG due to the factors mentioned (gradient etc).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back