Insurance confusion

Shwd mae

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi, first post on the forum and hoping someone can help?
Picking up our new (and first ev) mg5 in a week's time.
I am currently insured with Hastings direct and I am trying to get a bit of sense about any 'grace' period between the transfer of insurance from my old vehicle to my nice shiny new one.
Hastings informed me that the insurance for my present car would be transferred to the new vehicle from 12:01am on the day of purchase. So my question is, would I still be insured to drive my present vehicle to the dealership on the day of purchase/to insurance transfer?
The lady I spoke with at Hastings direct wasn't much help, so I hope you guys and gals may be able to offer some wise words.
Thanks in anticipation

Most insurers usually give you an overlapping day, so on the day of purchase both cars are covered.
They normally insure the new one from the start of that day so the dealer can tax it and your old one stays insured for that day so you can drive it to the dealers.
But to make sure Hasting do, I would ring them again and see if you can get a more knowledgeable operator, if they don't know, ask to speak to a supervisor.

I am sure you are not the only person who drive a car to px and most insurance policies seem to start and end just after midnight

Thanks for all of the replies, pretty much as I thought, hopefully I will get to speak to someone with a little knowledge with Admiral when I phone again.
Can't believe that I simply can't make the insurance change online.

I'm with Aviva and changed my insurance across my online account. The new MG5 started at midnight and my old car ended at midnight the next day so it allows a 24 hour car changeover period. No need to supply Aviva with an accurate transfer time. It was a surprisingly easy experience for once.

When I bought my ZS EV I had an arrangement with my insurance broker that I would phone them when I got to the dealers and they would do an immediate transfer from the old car to the new one. Of course, they already had all the details so it was a case of pressing a button on the computer.

Dave

I couldn't get insurance with Hastings for the MG5. I had my insurance with them with my previous car. Tried to change vehicle to the MG5 and the underwriter wouldn't make an offer so they had to cancel my insurance and I ended up with Admiral

Hi, first post on the forum and hoping someone can help?
Picking up our new (and first ev) mg5 in a week's time.
I am currently insured with Hastings direct and I am trying to get a bit of sense about any 'grace' period between the transfer of insurance from my old vehicle to my nice shiny new one.
Hastings informed me that the insurance for my present car would be transferred to the new vehicle from 12:01am on the day of purchase. So my question is, would I still be insured to drive my present vehicle to the dealership on the day of purchase/to insurance transfer?
The lady I spoke with at Hastings direct wasn't much help, so I hope you guys and gals may be able to offer some wise words.
Thanks in anticipation
From what you post you would not be insured as 1 minute passed midnight on day of pick up. You need to redo this for the next day after pick up and use the drive home insurance from MG then when home change over the insurance So your insurance covers the car your drive now. You could if you wish is when you get to the showroom to pick up your car is change over then and as you should get a email of the certificate of insurance with in a short time.

I have taken up the MG insurance for a year as if you should have a full lost of your car and is not your fault then the car would be replaced with a new car, have a read on MG insurance on MG.co.uk It will a bit more then your present insurance. If you go this way this can be set up the day before you go for your new car In first year.

From what you post you would not be insured as 1 minute passed midnight on day of pick up. You need to redo this for the next day after pick up and use the drive home insurance from MG then when home change over the insurance So your insurance covers the car your drive now. You could if you wish is when you get to the showroom to pick up your car is change over then and as you should get a email of the certificate of insurance with in a short time.

I have taken up the MG insurance for a year as if you should have a full lost of your car and is not your fault then the car would be replaced with a new car, have a read on MG insurance on MG.co.uk It will a bit more then your present insurance. If you go this way this can be set up the day before you go for your new car In first year.
The OP has confirmed he's covered with Hastings in post #10.
Nearly all insurance companies give you new for old if your car is less than 12 months old, that's one of the reasons the insurance is cheaper from year two.

Hello, first post here.....

Will be picking up a new MG5 in 4 days, so I looked to arrange the insurance. Currently driving a Skoda Yeti - never again, awful, awful, awful. Would rather have unanaesthetised root canal work than anything from the VW group.... Have been with Co-Op Insurance for well over a decade, no problems, no claims, and was expecting a straightforward switchover. But "computer says no".

Once the (admittedly friendly and helpful) guy had finally managed to locate the MG5 on the database (he clicked on MG and it turns out he should've clicked on MG Motors instead) the system simply refused to insure it. He escalated this to one of their underwriters who said it was considered "too great a risk". No discussion, just a blank refusal to consider it. So they lost a customer.

The happy ending is that I got a cheaper deal with Saga. Anybody else have their MG EV turned down flat?

Just to add to this a little, I couldn't arrange insurance before collecting the car because I didn't have the registration (I was picking the car up on 1st September) but after speaking to the dealer they confirmed they can supply drive away insurance for the new car (free of charge) that will last until midnight of the next day.
Also, at the time of calling my insurers also couldn't find the long range version so I simply drove up in my old car, and handed them the keys, picked up the new one on dealer insurance, then the next day contacted my insurance with new registration etc.

Might be an option for people.

Andy

Will be picking up a new MG5 in 4 days, so I looked to arrange the insurance. Currently driving a Skoda Yeti - never again, awful, awful, awful. Would rather have unanaesthetised root canal work than anything from the VW group.... Have been with Co-Op Insurance for well over a decade, no problems, no claims, and was expecting a straightforward switchover. But "computer says no".

Once the (admittedly friendly and helpful) guy had finally managed to locate the MG5 on the database (he clicked on MG and it turns out he should've clicked on MG Motors instead) the system simply refused to insure it. He escalated this to one of their underwriters who said it was considered "too great a risk". No discussion, just a blank refusal to consider it. So they lost a customer.

The happy ending is that I got a cheaper deal with Saga. Anybody else have their MG EV turned down flat?
I gave up ever wanting to buy a VW after finding they did their exhaust fume tests on monkeys.

Mind you I wouldn't put it past most manufacturers to have some skeletons in the closet.

I ran into the MG vs MG Motors issue as well when trying to do comparison website searches on the LR. Wonder how long until it actually gets it's own entry

The happy ending is that I got a cheaper deal with Saga. Anybody else have their MG EV turned down flat?s
Strange, I'm with Co-Op and got my insurance with them for my MG5 no bother. Admittedly it worked out a bit more expensive than I was paying for my Qashqai so I very much doubt I'll be renewing with them next year.

Never auto renew without looking online for comparative quotes.
Whilst there is the odd time is cheaper with the insurer you have is normally cheaper to move.

Strange, I'm with Co-Op and got my insurance with them for my MG5 no bother. Admittedly it worked out a bit more expensive than I was paying for my Qashqai so I very much doubt I'll be renewing with them next year.
That is strange, but good for you. Obviously I'll be ending my current Co-Op policy early because of getting rid of the Skoda Yeti (hooray), and I was then informed that, as I had "chosen to end the policy early" there would be an early discontinuation charge. When I pointed out that I was originally prepared to stay with them, so I wasn't "choosing to leave" as they put it, but that they were deeming the new car to be uninsurable, they were unrelenting. So when I cancel it next week I anticipate an argument.

They really know how to look after loyal customers! One of whom, funnily enough, will now be taking his home insurance business elsewhere as well...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom