Insurance, crazy renewal

MG5202

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi All,

We have an MG5 SR Excite, we've had it for 2 years and paid £500/a year with sainsbury's for insurance. No claims / convictions etc.

We got our renewal today at a quote of 3+k, And comparing some meercats i'm seeing quotes in the 1k range, but this is still double what we paid last year.

has everyone with an excite crashed in the last year? Can't understand how it's gone up so much! 20% i could maybe understand but 200 - 600% seems bonkers.

Anyone have any tips/good experience with any specific providers?

Thanks

Same boat here . Sainsburys , who I've been very happy with , are no longer doing car insurance . I'm waiting for a written renewal offer from Churchill . I have done it online and their quote was double what I'm paying now .
I've had a look around and Flow have given the cheapest quote so far .
Ah well , it looks like it's back to the bad old days of changing insurance providers every year :rolleyes:
P.S. I've got 11 years +NCD

I just used saved entries from last year in comparethemarket and it is about £300 - last year was about £250 with the AA, who don't appear in this year's results (but I don't think I did it though that site)

The thing is with the compare websites I’ve found if you add mods ie tinted windows it doesn’t actually reflect in the quote generated, I’m finding rear tinted windows adding minimum £200 on my renewal when playing around with it !

I currently have my renewal notice from LV and it has increased 47% to £298.
As I re-compete every year regardless, I got quotes from all of the comparison websites and found something very unusual. The cheapest (Hastings or one of its clones that I would never normally consider) could undercut LV but only by a marginal amount. Most did not quote LV at all but the few that did were significantly more expensive.
It's the first time in as long as I can remember where the company's own renewal quote was better than all of the alternatives obtained online.

My insurer tried to quote nearly £700 for my LR Exclusive, found a quote elsewhere for around 550 and magically they were able to match it within a few £

I think the dealer offered tinting the windows as an option when I bought the car, told them I'd rather keep it standard sounds like that may have been a wise move.

Did my ICE car last month, 50% increase over previous years and all quotes much the same.

The end of price walking does mean that some who were on way below market price policies are seeing some shock price rises.

The industry as a whole is getting battered by price rises and availability issues, so there are some large increases across the board.

In March my MG5 went down £30 due to vehicle value dropping. Just glad I no longer live in the RM postcode friends and colleagues have seen some insane increases.

Hi All,

We have an MG5 SR Excite, we've had it for 2 years and paid £500/a year with sainsbury's for insurance. No claims / convictions etc.

We got our renewal today at a quote of 3+k, And comparing some meercats i'm seeing quotes in the 1k range, but this is still double what we paid last year.

has everyone with an excite crashed in the last year? Can't understand how it's gone up so much! 20% i could maybe understand but 200 - 600% seems bonkers.

Thanks
Tip... get your insurance cheapest on the comparison sites approx 23 days before renewal is due.

Update . I received my renewal forms today from Churchill . They have quoted £802 !!! . Bear in mind my last Premium for the Ioniq Hybrid was £250 ish ( adjusted to £334 for the MG 5 I believe ) . NCD is 11 years ( I had a windscreen replaced 3 years ago but I don't believe it affects the Premium ) , clean licence held for 50+ years , no points in last 5 years . Absolutely mental , unless I 've got 50 years younger and am now a teenager ?.
Churchill likes to say yes , Roger likes to say F*&k off . Looks like I'm going with the Flow :)

Update . I received my renewal forms today from Churchill . They have quoted £802 !!! . Bear in mind my last Premium for the Ioniq Hybrid was £250 ish ( adjusted to £334 for the MG 5 I believe ) . NCD is 11 years ( I had a windscreen replaced 3 years ago but I don't believe it affects the Premium ) , clean licence held for 50+ years , no points in last 5 years . Absolutely mental , unless I 've got 50 years younger and am now a teenager ?.
Churchill likes to say yes , Roger likes to say F*&k off . Looks like I'm going with the Flow :)
Deffo taking the ..., don't forget the 23 day rule before you jump.

Hi All,

Thanks
Direct Line £346.05.

£308.05 😀

Attachments

• IMG_1577.jpeg
    IMG_1577.jpeg
    365.9 KB · Views: 81
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back