Insuring a new car

Grriff

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
We were due to pick up our new MG4 Trophy on Wednesday. When I tried to insure it with my insurer they wouldn't go ahead because the registration number was not on the Motor Insurance Database and I have found this with other insurers. My dealer was insisting that the insurer should build up the quote from base data but on-line insurers won't do this. It's a long time since we bought a new car and 'cover notes' are not issued. So I can't insure the car because it is not on the database and it won't go on the database until I insure the car, so we have not yet collected it. Has anyone else experience of this problem?

Had similar problem, but got around it by manually selecting make/model of car, and entering registration number.

Years ago I bought a campervan imported from Australia, and I had to MOT and insure it based on chassis number before I could apply for a registration number. So anything is possible, just a bit more faff.

I'm insured with Churchill. They have happily insured my Trophy that I will be collecting next week. I have the Reg, but it's not on the database and I don't expect it will be until late next week. No issue at all, just select the car details from the dropdown boxes.

I can't understand why your insurer is being daft, but I've heard it before.

Thanks for your comments.
Just gone on to my insurers and they now have the registration number on their database. So it must be just a matter of time. Good quote from my existing insurer - Aviva Zero.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom