Intelligent Octopus Go works like a dream.

jenco

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I have been struggling with the timed charging on Octopus Go via our Zappi charger for a while. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. I received a message from Octopus saying that they now work with the Zappi, so I switched ASAP. They state that all is needed is to plug it in and they do the rest. They really do! Full marks to the boffins at Octopus Plus, I now get 6 hours reduced rate 7.5p in my area, down from 9p. Win, win, win....

Been on about 5 weeks with my SE SR and no issues so far (touch wood), nice and simple just decide how many % to add and plug in.

Still haven't had my first bill yet though...

Took them 3 .months to send me my first bill and was worried due to all the off peak charging I was getting. No problem when bill was finally issued. As long as app says smart charging you are good.

I started with IOG on the original Ohme that worked well, I then tried out the Wallbox Plus when that showed up on the compatible list but it never work quite right. It kept turning on outside of the set slots for just a few minutes, one session there were over 40 on off slots. I have now got my Zappi on IOG and the first charge work exactly as it should.

Octopus may charge outside the quoted times if there is excess electricity available on the grid? Similar to the surge proving you get on the fast chargers.

As long as the percentage is correct at my destination time, I don't worry about exactly how it happens

Much harder experience as I'm mixing up charging between a standard range MG4 & a SEAT Mii. Finally gave up and disconnected the MG4 in the Octopus app this morning. Hope to just charge in the 6-hour window using my Zappi app ( which is, frankly, awful).

Been on about 5 weeks with my SE SR and no issues so far (touch wood), nice and simple just decide how many % to add and plug in.

Still haven't had my first bill yet though...
Hi Tight Git, I have just got my first bill and down from £75 per month to £35 per month on my electric bill! Brilliant! Not sure what to do in the summer when Octopus give you better price on sending back power on a different tariff?
Andy

Re monthly bills. For me the only way I can get monthly bills on octopus go is to send in a monthly meter reading (reminder set in calendar) This is despite having a smart meter for the last two years.

Just beware if you have a house battery. I found this the other day; my Tesla power wall was dumping 5KW in the evening into the car because intelligent Octopus Go had told the car to charge. Which it then did in peak time (not a problem normally as they note the charge and charge you at the cheap rate). But if you have a battery the car may take charge from your house battery, completely draining it and then your house will be drawing from the grid at peak rate until it charges later that night or from solar depending on the season ….. I’m still on intelligent but have told the car only to charge as scheduled. Will see if that prevents further problems. Intelligent octopus go can and will charge at any time when grid demand is low….

I have exactly the same problem with a house battery.

I leave my car unplugged during the day and go out in the evening to plug it in. I'll set the Octopus app to charge at a max of 60% by 0530 (or less % if the car doesn't need all that). This always sets a schedule of 2330 to 0530.

My house battery is set to charge from grid overnight at 2330-0530. If it charges full before 0530, it's set not to provide any electric to the house so everything takes from grid.

Desparate to join IO. Our charger (WaEV) is on the list to join, but Octopus are very slow. I think Zappi is only the 2nd compatible charge after Ohme Pro?

I have been struggling with the timed charging on Octopus Go via our Zappi charger for a while. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. I received a message from Octopus saying that they now work with the Zappi, so I switched ASAP. They state that all is needed is to plug it in and they do the rest. They really do! Full marks to the boffins at Octopus Plus, I now get 6 hours reduced rate 7.5p in my area, down from 9p. Win, win, win....
But what are you paying for the rest of your house? 30p? I was on go and have found tracker tariff. It changes every day and averages better that go.

Just beware if you have a house battery. I found this the other day ; my Tesla power wall was dumping 5KW in the evening into the car becasue intelligent Octopus Go had told the car to charge. Which bit then did in peak time ( not a problem normally as they note the charge and charge you at the cheap rate ). But if you have a battery the car may take charge from your house battery , completely draining it and then your house will be drawing from the grid at peak rate until it charges later that night or from solar depending on the season ….. I’m still on intelligent but have told the car to only charge scheduled. Will see if that prevents further problems. Intelligent octopus go can and will charge at any time when grid demand is low….
Thanks for this and you are right it has taken the solar batteries to charge my car in the day! I have now changed my settings to only charge from the sun and switch on when it gets dark! Bit of messing about but got into this habit now. Thanks for update and Happy New Year to you.

But what are you paying for the rest of your house? 30p ? I was on go and have found tracker tariff . It changes every day and averages better that go .
The same rate for the house. I charge batteries and run domestic appliances during same off peak windows at 7.5p

Beware, I tried to switch so that IO could integrate with my Zappi, now that app will not connect to any car or device. Octopus have so far been unable to resolve the issue although they have been helpful. Back on the IO tariff with the 6 hours window but just no Intelligent charging.

Beware, I tried to switch so that IO could integrate with my Zappi, now that app will not connect to any car or device. Octopus have so far been unable to resolve the issue although they have been helpful. Back on the IO tariff with the 6 hours window but just no Intelligent charging.
Is the zappi firmware latest - know someone who ended up getting the my energy hub thing to control the zappi because old firmware / hardware combination needed it ….

Is the zappi firmware latest - know someone who ended up getting the my energy hub thing to control the zappi because old firmware / hardware combination needed it ….
It’s nothing to do with Zappi, it’s the Octopus app, I have lost facility to add anything despite deleting and reinstalling on both iPhone and iPad. Waiting on them to come up with a fix.

Much harder experience as I'm mixing up charging between a standard range MG4 & a SEAT Mii. Finally gave up and disconnected the MG4 in the Octopus app this morning. Hope to just charge in the 6-hour window using my Zappi app ( which is, frankly, awful).
Do you mean the My Energi app? It works fine for me as I always schedule charging on it .Because I have a battery I am staying on Go tariff .It may be more expensive than intelligent but it works .

Do you mean the My Energi app? It works fine for me as I always schedule charging on it .Because I have a battery I am staying on Go tariff .It may be more expensive than intelligent but it works .
I find the MyEnergi app excellent, set schedules on it for Zappi and Eddi and can monitor battery consumption and solar generation from anywhere.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back