Intelligent Speed Limit

JeffMcC75

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
After flicking thru the manual I have come across this which says it will set the cars speed limit based on traffic sign recognision. However I cant seem to find it anywhere in the menus, is it not available on the UK spec cars?
1681463458056.png

The main problem is for some reason MG think the national speed limit is the same for dual carriageways and single carriageways and sets it at 60mph.
It also depends if you are towing etc... so no way the car can be sure what your speed limit actually is, so perhaps they are just using the minimum for that class of road?

I'd have thought it's unusual to be towing with an EV, and it would be the driver's responsibility to know the car's software shouldn't be relied on in that situation.

The main problem is for some reason MG think the national speed limit is the same for dual carriageways and single carriageways and sets it at 60mph.
Better than here in Ireland where the recognition seems to be setup for miles while the speedometer is in km and it doesn't recognise anything over 70!

Recognition has been like that for quite a while now. I put it down to not being able to tell when the car is in a national speed limit and also on a dual carriageway - this would mean linking with satnav and/or gps tracking. I also found that it would show 60mph on motorways that displayed the national speed limit sign.

Here in Scotland I don't think any motorways use the NSL sign - they all specify the actual limit in MPH.

I found another annoyance. I decided to go for a spin on the A701. I noticed the car deciding the speed limit was 40mph on the open road where I knew for a fact it was 60mph, and only getting it right again when another speed limit sign was passed. Then again, on the open road, back to 40.

A little bit of driving up and down between Broughton and Stanhope, and I realised what was going on. There are intermittent signs reminding HGV drivers that any vehicle over 7.5 tonnes is limited to 40mph. The MG4 is seeing these signs and deciding they apply to it. Now I know it's a heavy car, but that's ridiculous. (I barely noticed the signs at first because my brain knows they don't apply to me.)

Frankly this is all a bit of a pain in the arse. I'm thinking this is something else to switch off before setting off.

I found another annoyance. I decided to go for a spin on the A701. I noticed the car deciding the speed limit was 40mph on the open road where I knew for a fact it was 60mph, and only getting it right again when another speed limit sign was passed. Then again, on the open road, back to 40.

A little bit of driving up and down between Broughton and Stanhope, and I realised what was going on. There are intermittent signs reminding HGV drivers that any vehicle over 7.5 tonnes is limited to 40mph. The MG4 is seeing these signs and deciding they apply to it. Now I know it's a heavy car, but that's ridiculous. (I barely noticed the signs at first because my brain knows they don't apply to me.)

Frankly this is all a bit of a pain in the arse. I'm thinking this is something else to switch off before setting off.
I switch it off in pre-flight

I'm thinking this is the sensible move, yes.

Having been thoroughly discombobulated by the Lane Assist System on the outward journey (sometimes it didn't mind me cutting corners on the winding road but other times it scared the hell out of me) I stopped in Moffat, had a poke around the infotainment display and made damn sure it was off. I'll get used to doing it routinely I suppose. Maybe it's of some use on long motorway trips?

Can the intelligent mode be used in conjunction with the radar so the car limits its speed by traffic sign or car in front, whichever is slower?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back