Interesting/worrying story from Scotland - ZS with no brakes.

SimonS

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Link copied from FB. Seems genuine at first glance. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10233014447645997&id=1311400923&mibextid=WC7FNe

Screenshot for those that don't do FB.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 10.37.14.png

Sounds worrying but the story is very short on detail.

its from Fakebook, so doesn't help with legitimacy...

That said, I will read up on how the emergency stop stuff should work - perhaps hold down the start/ stop and on the electric windows select UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT...

I saw this yesterday and nearly started a thread on it. I did post on MG owners Club and Yorkshire EV club FB pages - everyone is very sceptical

I am somewhat dubious about the whole thing.

1. Why did his brakes not work. They are mechanical and not brake by wire.

2. The poster does not go into any detail regarding what happened after he “crashed” into the police van the second time. How did he eventually stop the car, did the RAC do anything, where is the car now.

All very strange and the anti EV mob are loving it.

I agree it looks a bit strange but the ZS does seem to have an issue with brake issues going back a couple of years. I've traced the road pictured in the first photo and it is between Kirkintilloch and Cadder so would fit with the claimed route.

Edit: Last pic is the same place and the two bus stops are further back in Kirkintilloch.

Last edited:
Do we know what make of car it is? He reports the RAC came to rescue him, so it wouldn't be an MG, as the AA have the contract with them.

Edit: Just seen the Sun story, so it's definately not true. Why put the word "electric" in the story? Any car losing its brakes would be a good story for the news media.

Its almost certainly a fantasist looking for clicks. He's got form for it, this "type of thing" seems to happen to him regularly!

Do we know what make of car it is? He reports the RAC came to rescue him, so it wouldn't be an MG, as the AA have the contract with them.
Its just made up rubbish, but the car in one of the pictures is a ZS EV

I see the Sun has a plethora of anti EV click bait on that page as well.

They also say they pay for stories, shall we all submit stories of how good our cars are and have very little problem charging them? :)
Yeah, because they'll print that... :(

The video shows his car without a mark on it, strange that, after ramming a police van under power and bieng forced into stopping by the vans brakes. What a steaming pile of BS

My fav quote from this story "There was no way I could stop. I was calling it the runaway electric car." I always name things when in a life endangering situation....then, just below, an ad for 'killer new EV's' !!!
1696345761990.png

Last edited:
The "press" article does confirm that police attended and that said incident did occur... albeit in some form. I have lots of questions over driver error/accuracy of complaint/his claims etc however to say it didn't happen (in some form) isn't accurate!

Hello. My name is Brian Morrison and i can verify that everything in my facebook post is 100% True.

I am still shaken up. How dare most of you even consider i am lying after what i went through driving home from Kilsyth through Kirkintilloch and heading towards Bishopbriggs where i live.

It does not matter to me what people think, but please think about peoples mental health who could still be struggling after such an incident.

I was coming here to actually post all about it, to see if anyone had similar issues .... and shocked to see so much negativity

Hello. My name is Brian Morrison and i can verify that everything in my facebook post is 100% True.

I am still shaken up. How dare most of you even consider i am lying after what i went through driving home from Kilsyth through Kirkintilloch and heading towards Bishopbriggs where i live.

It does not matter to me what people think, but please think about peoples mental health who could still be struggling after such an incident.

I was coming here to actually post all about it, to see if anyone had similar issues .... and shocked to see so much negativity
May be you could set some stuff straight why is there no damage after 2 accidents with car still driving forwards did the wheels keep spinning when up against the van when van stopped
I don't understand how the analogue brakes from the foot pedal would not work they don't need any electricity to work
Did you use the RAC as it's a mobility car

Sorry it's hard to get to grips with so many failures at once
Broken accelerator or motor stuck on
Broken hydraulic brakes
Broken emergency brake
Broken gear selector
Broken radar for anti collision

Link copied from FB. Seems genuine at first glance. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10233014447645997&id=1311400923&mibextid=WC7FNe

Screenshot for those that don't do FB.

View attachment 20509
Theres something not quite right here about this whole thing:-
1) Why did the braking system not stop the car? Dual circuit hydraulic brakes, nothing to do with electronics.
2) Taking photographs whilst dealing with this terrifying event.
3) No airbag deployment?
4) once stopped by the police van and seemingly the MG still trying to go, an electric motor held in a stalled condition is going to overheat. No fire?
5) Gear selector to neutral or park?
6) How did the RAC disable the car to stop it driving off? How did the motor not catch fire being held stopped fir over 5 hours.

Sorry, it doesn't add up to me, maybe is true but more likely an operator error rather the car having a mind of it's own.

I am not saying this isn't true but why would the car go to Brian's insurance company for inspection if there was no damage to the vehicles, surely it would go to the dealers or for independent inspection?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom