Interesting/worrying story from Scotland - ZS with no brakes.

What really annoys me is this happens five months ago in Oct 23 & still not a sausage anywhere on the WWW with no news of an investigation from MG Motors or any independent sources for that matter, Can I take it the whole matter was a load of tosh or are these investigations time-consuming & we will have to wait longer for an outcome?
You would have thought that if it was actually true why hasn't there been a quest by concerned parties for the truth to limit bad publicity & lost sales of the MG ZS EV.

What really annoys me is this happens five months ago in Oct 23 & still not a sausage anywhere on the WWW with no news of an investigation from MG Motors or any independent sources for that matter, Can I take it the whole matter was a load of tosh or are these investigations time-consuming & we will have to wait longer for an outcome?
You would have thought that if it was actually true why hasn't there been a quest by concerned parties for the truth to limit bad publicity & lost sales of the MG ZS EV.
I'd be very surprised if there was any investigation.

There's really no case to answer.

The brake vacuum pump (hopefully i have correct name) went in the ZS we had just bought. It did mean that the brakes were extremely difficult to use to get the car to stop as it happened as the car was driving. Not thrilled at all and would say it was just as well it didn't happened on a motorway.

The brake vacuum pump (hopefully i have correct name) went in the ZS we had just bought. It did mean that the brakes were extremely difficult to use to get the car to stop as it happened as the car was driving. Not thrilled at all and would say it was just as well it didn't happened on a motorway.
Yes it helps in brake pedal pressure required in the vehicle but does not affect the mechanical pressure u as a driver have to press the pedal a lot harder, I have driven pre vacuum brake vehicles, and non powered steering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it helps in brake pedal pressure required in the vehicle but does not effect the mechanical pressure u as a driver have to press the pedal a lot harder, I have driven pre vacuum brake vehicles, and none powered steering.
My wife was driving and she struggled to stop the car. To be fair, I had to move it after it happened as I couldn't leave it where she stopped and it was extremely difficult to stop the car. I do have serious worries about what would have happened if the pump had gone as the car was travelling at 60mph on a motorway....

My wife was driving and she struggled to stop the car. To be fair, I had to move it after it happened as I couldn't leave it where she stopped and it was extremely difficult to stop the car. I do have serious worries about what would have happened if the pump had gone as the car was travelling at 60mph on a motorway....
Yes I can believe it’s a scary thing to happen especially if u don’t know the mechanics.
Still have brakes just have to push hard as, old days single circuit brakes u had a real hand brake that would do some stopping for u in emergency.

It's not quite the same as the "old days" of non assisted brakes though. Then they were designed to be used without assistance, now they are designed to be used with assistance, and the pressure required when the assistance fails is much greater.

You still have a parking brake you can use in an emergency

It's not quite the same as the "old days" of non assisted brakes though. Then they were designed to be used without assistance, now they are designed to be used with assistance, and the pressure required when the assistance fails is much greater.

Actually that's interesting. I had to move the car and I tried to apply the parking brake when I was at about 5mph - and it actually disengaged everytime I pulled it

Last edited:

Yes to meet Australian ADR it still has to stop the vehicle with the foot brake even with the servo inoperative vac or electric, also the parking brake only has to retard the vehicle under light throttle, not the same as pull up the leaver on a ratchet and stop the car , this was important on single circuit brakes as it was all you had for stopping.

I have heard that if your EV is "running away", pulling the parking brake actuator will slow and stop the vehicle.

Although I have never tried this, nor selecting N at speed.

In an emergency, with a conventional manual car, you can knock the lever into N, then apply the handbrake slowly notch by notch.

Can anybody confirm exactly what you are able to do to stop an EV in an emergency as a front seat passenger?

EDIT: Sorry L99, I missed your post. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you can select N at any time, but I have not tried it. Also I believe you can tow the car in N, which is not possible in all EV's.

Can anybody confirm exactly what you are able to do to stop an EV in an emergency as a front seat passenger?
Here you go, it’s correct operation procedure is covered on page 205 of the manual.

IMG_3066.jpeg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom