Interior light bulbs

Mack1410

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Trying to replace interior light bulbs with LED. Got the housing off with a bit of trepidation, but cannot for the life of me disconnect any of the connectors (sunroof, lights, SOS) to allow the housing to be removed, I'm assuming that it has to be removed to replace bulbs. Anyone done this and if so any advice would be welcomed.

Thank s

Hi,

1. For facelift models the ZS EV has no LED if NOT equipped with a sunroof and LED if equipped with sunroof.
2. The connectors can be unplugged, not sure how to explain it but there is no rocketsience to it

1683903107578.png

Hi,

1. For facelift models the ZS EV has no LED if NOT equipped with a sunroof and LED if equipped with sunroof.
2. The connectors can be unplugged, not sure how to explain it but there is no rocketsience to it

View attachment 17462
It was disconnecting the connectors that I could not manage to do, yes there is no rocket science. I was simply asking if anyone had any tips on disconnecting them rather than using brute force, likely to damage. Staring at a digram, no matter how detailed, does not answer my question.

It was disconnecting the connectors that I could not manage to do, yes there is no rocket science. I was simply asking if anyone had any tips on disconnecting them rather than using brute force, likely to damage. Staring at a digram, no matter how detailed, does not answer my question.
@Mack1410 just to clarify, are you diving a the Gen1 or the newer Gen2 ( facelift ) model,
is it equipped with the electric Sky roof ?.
Just asking, because I thought the face lift model ( with sky roof ) already has front interior lights fitted with LED’s units anyway.
Gen 1 model has the older basic type of festoon lamps ( bulbs 💡) for sure.
I think page 68 of the manual displays a picture of the interior light 💡 housing and makes reference to either LED or festoon lamps ( bulbs 💡) in the text.
As kindly provided by @N2STY in the post above.

IMG_9756.jpeg

Last edited:
@Mack1410 just to clarify, are you diving a the Gen1 or the newer Gen2 ( facelift ) model,
is it equipped with the electric Sky roof ?.
Just asking, because I thought the face lift model ( with sky roof ) already has front interior lights fitted with LED’s units anyway.
Gen 1 model has the older basic type of festoon lamps ( bulbs 💡) for sure.
Gen 2 with sun roof, yes I have discovered it has LED, but it would be nice to have an answer to my original question. At some stage the LED's will need replacing.

Thanks for taking an interest.

"" Just asking, because I thought the face lift model ( with sky roof ) already has front interior lights fitted with LED’s units anyway. ""
@Lovemyev You think right as written.
@Mack1410 Not sure how to explain someone to remove a connector. But dont worry, will not send you any diagram for further questions ...

Gen 2 with sun roof, yes I have discovered it has LED, but it would be nice to have an answer to my original question. At some stage the LED's will need replacing.

Cant be replaced and before they go bad, the car is rusted out or battery done :D

No problem 😉.
I have updated my previous post with a photo taken from page 68 in the manual 👍.

We have the Gen2 facelift mode now after owning the Gen1 model for two years first.
I have removed the complete Sky roof surround and interior light housing on the Gen1 model, to cure an annoying rattle we once had.
Both our ZS EV’s had sky roofs fitted.
It would appear that the Gen1 has the basic festoon lamps ( bulbs 💡) that many upgrade to LED’s as the standard lamps tend to give off a dull yellow light.
On the Gen2 model, with NO Sky roof retains the basic festoon lamps, but the model WITH the Sky roof gets the upgraded LED light unit already, so no upgrade required.
Not that this is import now, but if I remember correctly, when dropped the sky roof surround on the Gen1 model.
Access the bulbs as gained by just popping out the interior light cover.
As I wanted the whole surround removed, I found removing the surround fairly easy by carefully releasing the clips around the edge of the trim.
The wiring loom had two master plugs on the wiring loom, that just required the locking pin depressed with a small electrical screwdriver while slightly pulling back on the plug.
The plugs could only be refitted one way, so no chance of getting wrong.
Not 100% sure here, but I think the boot light on the Gen 2 ( facelift model ) is still running on the festoon bulb and therefore could be updated ?.

We have the Gen2 facelift mode now after owning the Gen1 model for two years first.
I have removed the complete Sky roof surround and interior light housing on the Gen1 model, to cure an annoying rattle we once had.
It would appear that the Gen1 has the basic festoon lamps ( bulbs 💡) that many upgrade to LED’s as the standard lamps tend to give off a dull yellow light.
On the Gen2 model, with NO Sky roof retains the basic festoon lamps, but the model WITH the Sky roof gets the upgraded LED light unit already, so no upgrade required.
Not that this is import now, but if I remember correctly, when dropped the sky roof surround on the Gen1 model.
As I wanted the whole surround removed, I found removing the surround fairly easy by carefully releasing the clips around the edge of the trim.
The wiring loom had two master plugs on the wiring loom, that just required the locking pin depressed with a small electrical screwdriver while slightly pulling back on the plug.
Not 100% sure here, but I think the boot light on the Gen 2 ( facelift model ) is still running on the festoon bulb and therefore could be updated ?.
Yes sir, trunk has normal bulb

Thank you very detailed, I suspected a screw driver would be required but thought better of it. Or so I thought!

I've replaced the boot light with LED and it certainly makes a big difference.

I used a small screwdriver between the black plug and the white moulding as the black plug has a little wedge
Screenshot_20230512-171000.png
Screenshot_20230512-171406.png

would we know which wires are for the lights that will switch on when the doors are opened? considering to get power from there to light up the rear interior...
Black is earth white and black is positive for doors open
Don't worry sorted it so switch pulls off from the backView attachment 12653
The wires for light are hereView attachment 12654View attachment 12655
Black is earth white and black is positive for doors open only and if you flash you hi beam when car is off part of the follow me home function
Edit they also come one when you switch car off

Black is earth white and black is positive for doors open
I managed to attach the led strip and it works as intended, for it to turn on once doors are opened. However slight disappointment is that I cant use the interior light switch to turn on or off the light. It just turn on and off following the open of the doors.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom