Interior lighting at night

Mr R

Established Member
Reaction score
What sort of ambient lighting does the interior have? I think I’ve seen the steering wheel buttons light up pale blue, is that right? Anyone got any photos!?

Check the recent video in the Publications thread ... one of them is a walkthrough of the Infotainment system but it also shows the steering wheel controls. As the video is being done indoors in low lighting it looks like the steering wheel buttons do indeed have a pale blue backlight. :)

Edit: this video

Last edited:
What was your solution to the internal lights?
I cut holes in the hood lining on left and right side in back seat area and installed courtesy lights and also added lights in front foot wells. Very good lighting now but shouldn't have to upgrade interior lights in a new car in 2022. Last vehicle I done it with was a 1975 model car but that was expected back then.

I will do a video on my YouTube channel to show lights when I get time. https://www.youtube.com/c/ElectricCarAustralia

I cut holes in the hood lining on left and right side in back seat area and installed courtesy lights and also added lights in front foot wells. Very good lighting now but shouldn't have to upgrade interior lights in a new car in 2022. Last vehicle I done it with was a 1975 model car but that was expected back then.

I will do a video on my YouTube channel to show lights when I get time. https://www.youtube.com/c/ElectricCarAustralia

Cheers mate. I agree that it is ridiculous to have no courtesy lights in the back.

I've just bought some govee led strips for all 4 for wells.

Amazon product ASIN B07QBMRQST

Thanks everyone! Some great info on here and interesting to read about some of the early issues.

Thinking about a Trophy model next year, which gives a few more months for the early adopters to help sort out the teething issues. 😁 This would be my first EV and the MG4 seems like a good car as an introduction to the EV world.

With the amount of free time I have, probably a bodge job! Visible insulating tape is an acquired taste but I like the look!
Can I ask how you have powered the light strip? I see people putting led light strips in cars and evs but I think this is a legitimate need for the MG4 due to lack of indoor lights.

It works off of the 12v supply. I've only seen one in the front of my 5. Haven't had time to connect this weekend.,

PXL_20221031_172859640.jpg

Ignore the mess and the wiring I'm not finished. The lights are dimable and you can swap between colours either with the controller or the app on Bluetooth.
You can make the lights dance but that would be annoying. They come on with the power but it also has a power button on the 12v plug. USBs don't come on when the door opens so not helpful for me to see my sons car seat straps but I might have a look at finding a power supply and breaking into it.
The lights are wired in pairs with the first light having an in on one side and the out on the other side so it may be better wiring on the door side to the rear foot well, however I don't have mats yet to do a cheap and simple run.
Lights have 3m self adhesive sticky pads for the full length and screws with lugs at either end to permanently fix if it is your own vehicle.

All the options I've found online appear to require permanent power and are manually switched on/off. Has anyone looked into hooking them up to the door switches/sensors?
My current car has footwell lights that were fitted by the dealer as official accessories when I bought the car that only come on while either of the front doors are open.

Find a fuse that is switched live and that may do the trick? Or piggy-back off the fuse that powers the interior lights.

I have just installed these from Amazon. Used the rear USB to power them as they come on and off with the car power. Two under the front footwells and two under the rea seats. Works well. Very rarely have anyone in the back but wires tidy away under centre consol.
Amazon product ASIN B08FYC6YRY

Do you need to use the remote occasionally or once connected and set up it is superfluous? Interested if only for the back area possibly. Any pictures of the result?

Alan

These look great! Two located under each front seat, to light up front and back areas?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 533 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back