Ioniq vs MG5 - help with choosing

enjoylife

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi there,

I am close to buying my next EV upgrade (from Leaf) and deciding between the Ioniq 38.3kwh and the new MG5 long range (highest specs on both). Would have considered the MG EV but need to wait for the newer model with better range and refinements.

I have driven both and whilst Ioniq feels more mature/refined and comes with more features (that mostly work flawlessly), the MG5 feels more powerful and slightly bigger overall (although on paper dimensions are not much different apart from height). Happy with range of both (circa 180-200 miles) though the new MG5 long range should give around 30-40 miles more.

Price wise it will be very similar (£23-25k) for a nearly new Ioniq 38kwh (up to a year old) or brand new MG5 LR Exclusive so not much in there.

Any suggestions/comments to help me decide would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

i looked at the Ioniq before i got my MG5.
and i looked at the new prices as the comparances, so 23-25k to 33-35k.
so i had to looks at it as did the Ioniq give me 10k more of a car.. and i could not justify the extra price.
also the Ioniq does not have a roof loading, so you are not allowed to have a roof rack, where as the 5 does.

and i am very happy with my decision to get the MG5

I found the price differential significant plus the MG5 LR is available now.
It's not really valid to compare a new version of one car with a second hand version of another as far as cost is concerned.

I looked at the Ionic but felt the boot was way too small. Plus thought the MG5 had more room in the back too. To be fair, I do think the Ionic is a better looking car.

Hi there,

I am close to buying my next EV upgrade (from Leaf) and deciding between the Ioniq 38.3kwh and the new MG5 long range (highest specs on both). Would have considered the MG EV but need to wait for the newer model with better range and refinements.

I have driven both and whilst Ioniq feels more mature/refined and comes with more features (that mostly work flawlessly), the MG5 feels more powerful and slightly bigger overall (although on paper dimensions are not much different apart from height). Happy with range of both (circa 180-200 miles) though the new MG5 long range should give around 30-40 miles more.

Price wise it will be very similar (£23-25k) for a nearly new Ioniq 38kwh (up to a year old) or brand new MG5 LR Exclusive so not much in there.

Any suggestions/comments to help me decide would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)
Hi,
As a new MG5 owner and a collegue of mine has an Ioniq, I'll give you a few of my ponderings.

Firstly some cons to the MG5 - have a think about the charger and the apps that you use.
As far as I am aware the MG5EV LR does not have an app to enable smart charging - fine if your home charger manages this for you but if you want to use the Octopus Go tariff and have a less smart home charger (Rolec...) then it might not suit.
Also the lack of an app can be problematic if you are away from the car whilst fast charging, the charging network with different chargers can be a little flaky - and not being notified about the lack of charge after you walk away from the car is annoying.
Pre-heating is not avaliable in the MG - again your use may vary on this but it's a difference.
Flaky infotainment system.... only relavent if you don't use carplay etc.

The Ioniq is a very nice car with the smart car apps and scheduled charging etc, but it's not an estate and if this is important to you (as it is to me) then this may be a deciding factor. The Ioniq seems a bit more sorted from a consumer perspective, but the value is not there compared with the MG.

One particular point is the fast charging capability of the MG - the Ioniq has a max fast charge rate of 44kWh vs the MG where is is listed as 50 but i've seen mine get to 75kWh at a low state of charge on an ionity charger [1]. Again it depends on your use cases but if you are doing longer distances and charging time is an issue then the MG is better.

The MG has significantly better real world range [2] vs the Ioniq [3]. For me it was a value for money thing - I couldn't find anything better value for money for the range that I wanted on the new or nearly new market. You can if you want dig into the older secondhand Tesla S market for similar money but that wasn't for me.

[1] MG5 Charging Profile
[2] MG MG5 EV Long Range
[3] Hyundai IONIQ Electric

I looked at the Ioniq 38 kWh as well, goto say they are a well sorted car, even the mrs loved to drive it (she won’t drive my E class!), as everyone else has said I was very disappointed with the bootspace in real life when compared to the MG5, as all of the batteries are in there! Also looked at a hybrid which was about 5” deeper in the boot compared to the bev Ioniq.
Also felt there’s a lot of road noise coming into the car when above 30mph when comparing it with the mg5.
I got to the point where I sat down with the sales guy to thrash out a deal on a ex demo car with all the options (sunroof) premium se in fluid metal grey, with 1200 miles on the clock and 4 1/2 years on the warranty all for the princely sum of £26k.
The sales guy and the manager wouldn’t shift on the price at all (cash buyer as well!) so I walked.
Then 2 weeks later I popped into MG Brindlys at Wolverhampton on the off chance (we all ready own a MG ZS ev) for a test in a 5.
Needless to say I picked up my new Mg 5 the following week in tri coat red exclusive and the all important 7 year warranty for £22995. (Affinity deal as MRs Severnless is a nurse)
I just couldn’t justify the extra £3k for a secondhand car
Also when comparing the Ioniq to the 5 look at service costs as well.
We’ve had our ZS first service in July (collected the car, renewal on the AA membership, serviced and returned) all for £36.97!
I’m sure the Ioniq was in the hundreds for the first couple.

So to sum up my thoughts on the comparison of the Ioniq and MG5, if there was no MG5 on the market, I would have gone for the Ioniq
Simples 😊

Last edited:
Great responses so far.. thank you.
That MG servicing price is simply amazing to say the least!!

Great responses so far.. thank you.
That MG servicing price is simply amazing to say the least!!
Yep it is a great price, there are two options when thinking about services
We chose the low mileage option, as Mrs severnless is on adoption leave atm so her mileage is within the criteria, same with me as I work local.

A4AAE019-08BB-4089-BE2D-32FD7B8F026B.png0DB89D29-23D4-4CBB-9395-7FAD18C4291F.jpeg

We’ve had our ZS first service in July (collected the car, renewal on the AA membership, serviced and returned) all for £36.97!
So where did you get that service? I thought £80 for 1st Service and a year's AA was good. any cheaper and they'd be paying you!

EDIT: Ah seen your Low mileage option posting now. I'd done 7,000 what with lockdown and will hopefully do more in the second year (topped 10,000 in 18 months now) otherwise a Taxi and occasional hire-car would have been a cheaper option.

Last edited:
Hi there,

Test driven both ( the old 38.3 )
Hi there,

. I felt the Mg5 had endless torque and power compared to the Hyundai. I think the Hyundai is nicer inside but the Mg5 is a lovely drive, at least for my relaxed type of driving.. ( my boy racer days are in the past ! ). The old fashioned fattish tyres on the Mg5 make it really quiet even on rough road surfaces. I run a holiday cottage to I really needed the estate format of the Mg5. By the way, you can completely remove / reinstall the rear bench seat in the Mg5 in a few seconds which gives an absolutely enormous load capacity. For me the Mg5 is bigger, cheaper ( 22k with affinity program/EST trust loan ), faster, quieter, nicer to drive. And I like it's looks too.

. I felt the Mg5 had endless torque and power compared to the Hyundai. I think the Hyundai is nicer inside but the Mg5 is a lovely drive, at least for my relaxed type of driving.. ( my boy racer days are in the past ! ). The old fashioned fattish tyres on the Mg5 make it really quiet even on rough road surfaces. I run a holiday cottage to I really needed the estate format of the Mg5. By the way, you can completely remove / reinstall the rear bench seat in the Mg5 in a few seconds which gives an absolutely enormous load capacity. For me the Mg5 is bigger, cheaper ( 22k with affinity program/EST trust loan ), faster, quieter, nicer to drive. And I like it's looks too.
My 5 is a company car turned van by taking out the rear seat pad. Makes it so much easier to store stuff.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I wasn't aware you can take the seat out, that really interests me.
I havent actually got my mg5 yet (sept) but would love to see instructions for this as the non flat load space was my one bug bear (but I Got over it!)

Very useful comments - thanks. I have test driven both as well and definitely agree on the faster/quieter/slightly bigger feel in MG5. Lack of some useful features (App, etc as mentioned above) or sluggish implementation (slow infotainment, only one level for heated seats, etc) and concerns around potentially lower residual values for MG5 are playing in my mind.

Residual values are always a concern with a new make & model of car, but with the markets move to EVs & demand we may be surprised with good values

Hi there,

I feel it is a case of second hand or new if I was in your shoes I would go for mg5 long range all day long. Dickturpin

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I wasn't aware you can take the seat out, that really interests me.
I havent actually got my mg5 yet (sept) but would love to see instructions for this as the non flat load space was my one bug bear (but I Got over it!)
If you're getting the MG5 Long Range then the load ara floor has two level positions and the higher level is close to level with the folded down rear seat

Residual values are always a concern with a new make & model of car, but with the markets move to EVs & demand we may be surprised with good values
I checked AutoTrader prices today and if I sold my ZS EV today with 10,500 mils as a Red Exclusive with tinted windows and Comfort 2 on a Jan 2020 69-plate I'd have lost a £1,500 depreciation and my daughter with her March 2020 20-plate would come to even or on top.

Hi there,

I have just swapped from the ZS EV to a 1 year old Kia Soul First Edition. The range is amazing… 41% used to drive 117 miles.

The used Soul first ed. are selling for around £29-30k. So paying another £10k on top of what the ZS can be purchased for, gives an additional 20kwhr, in a car that is well specified and seems to be not a bad deal, if you like the look of the Soul and need the extra battery. The Niro seems to be the most in demand EV in the Kia range and in my opinion is a better looking car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom