Ioniq vs MG5 - help with choosing

The used Soul first ed. are selling for around £29-30k. So paying another £10k on top of what the ZS can be purchased for, gives an additional 20kwhr, in a car that is well specified and seems to be not a bad deal, if you like the look of the Soul and need the extra battery. The Niro seems to be the most in demand EV in the Kia range and in my opinion is a better looking car.
I got a much better deal than that! Well Under £27k.

eNiro is a great all round car, but bland (like the ZS in my opinion), looks like so many other cars. Whereas the Soul has, well, soul. White with lipstick red as a friend called it, suits it really well. :D

Sounds like you got a good deal and the car you wanted.

I got a much better deal than that! Well Under £27k.

eNiro is a great all round car, but bland (like the ZS in my opinion), looks like so many other cars. Whereas the Soul has, well, soul. White with lipstick red as a friend called it, suits it really well. :D
I drive an ice soul and love it. When I come to buy my own ev I hope the soul is still on the go.

I checked AutoTrader prices today and if I sold my ZS EV today with 10,500 mils as a Red Exclusive with tinted windows and Comfort 2 on a Jan 2020 69-plate I'd have lost a £1,500 depreciation and my daughter with her March 2020 20-plate would come to even or on top.

That's great but not normal market pattern unfortunately. Anyone buying pretty much any car (EV or not) during 2019/2020 have done great overall as used car priced have jumped quite a bit recently during 2021 (pretty much in last 3-4 months). However, don't think this trend can last in medium/long term so depreciation and used car prices will probably come back to normal levels eventually once the supply/demand is levelled out.

So well done to everyone who bought during 2019/2020 - you have done very well indeed :)

Hi there,

I am close to buying my next EV upgrade (from Leaf) and deciding between the Ioniq 38.3kwh and the new MG5 long range (highest specs on both). Would have considered the MG EV but need to wait for the newer model with better range and refinements.

I have driven both and whilst Ioniq feels more mature/refined and comes with more features (that mostly work flawlessly), the MG5 feels more powerful and slightly bigger overall (although on paper dimensions are not much different apart from height). Happy with range of both (circa 180-200 miles) though the new MG5 long range should give around 30-40 miles more.

Price wise it will be very similar (£23-25k) for a nearly new Ioniq 38kwh (up to a year old) or brand new MG5 LR Exclusive so not much in there.

Any suggestions/comments to help me decide would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)
No rear wiper on the Ioniq is a huge omissions especially in the winter and in urban driving

No rear wiper on the Ioniq is a huge omissions especially in the winter and in urban driving
I've got the ICE version and it's not a big issue. Drive a lot in London and never had issues. It could have been if there was no reversing camera, that's the only manoeuvre for me it comes up short.

@OP, build wise / finish quality, I test drove a 5 and there is no difference.
I would buy the LR over the Ioniq.

I currently own an MG5 and previously owned an Ioniq plug in.

In addition to everything already said, the one Ioniq plus is that you can fit a towbar which I used for my bike rack. You are not allowed to tow a trailer but you could use it for a luggage rack.

The used Soul first ed. are selling for around £29-30k. So paying another £10k on top of what the ZS can be purchased for, gives an additional 20kwhr, in a car that is well specified and seems to be not a bad deal, if you like the look of the Soul and need the extra battery. The Niro seems to be the most in demand EV in the Kia range and in my opinion is a better looking car.
I took delivery of an eNiro First edition after a very very long wait. So long in fact that I'd seen MG ZS launch and order one of those too. the eNiro did arrive first but when I looked at the specs and asked myself could I justify £10 for the extra range I sold the eNiro the week it arrived because otherwise, I'd have lost my Kia deposit. 3 months later the MG arrived and I realised that although I preferred the looks of the Red MG I have the Kia was more polished (not the paint work) ie all the features were that more refined than my MG and that extra range while not essential (as Robert Llewellyn says the range of the car exceeds the range of my bladder) it is a comfort to know that when you arrive at a non-functioning/ICE'd/in-use Rapid charger at night you have the option to press on to another. So given the warranty trips to the dealer and the frustration with the inability to get a compatible phone working with the Head-Unit, I do often regret the switch I made back in 2019.

I took delivery of an eNiro First edition after a very very long wait. So long in fact that I'd seen MG ZS launch and order one of those too. the eNiro did arrive first but when I looked at the specs and asked myself could I justify £10 for the extra range I sold the eNiro the week it arrived because otherwise, I'd have lost my Kia deposit. 3 months later the MG arrived and I realised that although I preferred the looks of the Red MG I have the Kia was more polished (not the paint work) ie all the features were that more refined than my MG and that extra range while not essential (as Robert Llewellyn says the range of the car exceeds the range of my bladder) it is a comfort to know that when you arrive at a non-functioning/ICE'd/in-use Rapid charger at night you have the option to press on to another. So given the warranty trips to the dealer and the frustration with the inability to get a compatible phone working with the Head-Unit, I do often regret the switch I made back in 2019.
That’s a shame. Looking at the difference in the usable battery capacity between ZS and Soul EV - this looks like only about 9kwhr or about 30miles? I know that you discussed the Niro. The usable capacity on Kia seems a lot lower?

Quality and number of in car toys has always been one of Kia's strengths.

I had an Ioniq Hybrid for a year. Good spec and the tech better than the MG. For example being able to control some things using mobile phone app and being able to send destinations to the sat nav. Biggest disappointment was the seats became very uncomfortable even on short journeys (25 miles). Also not the easiest of cars to get in or out of

That’s a shame. Looking at the difference in the usable battery capacity between ZS and Soul EV - this looks like only about 9kwhr or about 30miles? I know that you discussed the Niro. The usable capacity on Kia seems a lot lower?
The ZS gross is 44.5kWh, useable around 40.5kWh. The Kona/eNiro/Soul EV has 64kWh useable. So basically more than a Leaf 24 (gross) range extra!

I’m getting a range of 280-300 miles at this time of year in my Soul EV. My average over 400 miles in 4 days is 4.6miles/kWh.

The rear seat pad is held down at the front by two 'clips' that are about a quarter of the way in from the edge on each side.
Simply give it a sharp tug upwards at these points and lift forward and out.
But you are left with the exposed wires for the seat belt wiring, so I feel you have to be a bit careful.

The ZS gross is 44.5kWh, useable around 40.5kWh. The Kona/eNiro/Soul EV has 64kWh useable. So basically more than a Leaf 24 (gross) range extra!

I’m getting a range of 280-300 miles at this time of year in my Soul EV. My average over 400 miles in 4 days is 4.6miles/kWh.
I thought the ZS usable was 42.5kWh ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom