Ionity

JonLovejoy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
IMG_20220413_141525.jpg

Pressed send before I'd finished! Stopped off at Baldock Services en route to Portsmouth (our France trip) and was really happy with the economy of the drive and subsequent charging speed.
This looks like a maximum charge speed of 86kW (adding 10kWh in 7 minutes)? I saw the same on an MFG 150kW unit so this is likely the maximum the MG5 supports. Mine was on a warm October evening after 150+ miles so battery would have been at a good temperature.

This looks like a maximum charge speed of 86kW (adding 10kWh in 7 minutes)? I saw the same on an MFG 150kW unit so this is likely the maximum the MG5 supports. Mine was on a warm October evening after 150+ miles so battery would have been at a good temperature.
The LR has a maximum speed of 100kW, I'm going to try running a little further between Ionity chargers in France to see if an even lower SOC will help me reach the grail 😁👍🏼

The LR has a maximum speed of 100kW, I'm going to try running a little further between Ionity chargers in France to see if an even lower SOC will help me reach the grail 😁👍🏼
Edit: from below - it looks like (at least the MG5LR) can exceed 80kWh - which is nice 👍

No - it doesn’t I’m afraid. The Long Range and Standard Range both have identical quoted charging speeds of 80kWh

For marketing reasons (and perhaps availability of units), the Standard Range seemed to quote speeds on a 50kW unit whereas the figures for Long Range quoted a 100kW. But they both do 80kWh.

It is of course entirely possible that EV Database is wrong 🤷

Standard Range:
DDD7EDB8-13B4-4C77-96DB-E7122A263A7F.jpeg

Long Range
83BF7C2A-5103-4F21-A7E7-C7C9C20576EB.jpeg

Last edited:
No - it doesn’t I’m afraid. The Long Range and Standard Range both have identical quoted charging speeds of 80kWh

For marketing reasons (and perhaps availability of units), the Standard Range seemed to quote speeds on a 50kW unit whereas the figures for Long Range quoted a 100kW. But they both do 80kWh.

It is of course entirely possible that EV Database is wrong 🤷

Standard Range:

View attachment 7902

Long Range
View attachment 7901
But as proven above it was doing more than the advertised 80kW. (in the photo 86kW at 45% SOC, quite impressive)

I have also seen a James &Kate Youtube where he has mentioned charging speed of over 80kW on a 5.

But as proven above it was doing more than the advertised 80kW. (in the photo 86kW at 45% SOC, quite impressive)

I have also seen a James &Kate Youtube where he has mentioned charging speed of over 80kW on a 5.
Yep - I have a suspicion that the unit displays the power it draws, not the power it provides to the car so you're being charged for any losses in the process. 86kWh is a 7.5% loss (compared to 80kWh) to AC->DC conversion, heat, etc - which sounds plausible? Or maybe the 80kWh is an average figure and it can peak a little higher. But, both he SR and LR will charge at the same speeds of (approximately) 80kWh. I'm speculating a touch on this based on the quoted figures.

Last edited:
These are the best numbers I’ve personally seen - averaged 65kWh from about 24% to 86% - peaking at over 80% (from memory as not shown on the final summary).

1649922058288.jpeg

I should add - I'm not precious about this, if someone gets more that 80kWh (plus conversion losses) then superb, as we should all be able to achieve that - this will only happen on 150kW+ unit (equates to 120kW for 400V cars) as even the Osprey 120kW will only output around 80kW for our 400V MGs. Will check again in July when graphing though ABRP OBD connection.

Last edited:
Confirmed by esteemed MG dealers I'm afraid, I did contact EV database about their error but they are yet to correct it. 92kW in France 👍🏼
View attachment 7904
Cool - good to know 👍

I'm sure Miles showed similar numbers of around 92 kWh for the facelift MG ZS review - I'd assumed it was faster than MG5 but looks like they're about the same.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom