iPhone problem with EV4SE Extended range

trashtheash

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Help, had an iPhone XR bought upgraded to a 15, didn’t help that the usb-c port didn’t work got an adapter for the charger so I could plug into the usb,
couldn’t get car play to work, read all the threads finally tried switching on and off both the car and
phone worked then tried again and didn’t work. Does this mean I have to go into car play each time and press forget this car to reinstate every time I make a journey? Or is there a firmware update? Or is it unique to IPhones and not androids which means I’ll have to get a cheap android just for the car! It’s an MG4 SE extended range.

I can’t really work out from the above, but are you trying to connect the phone via Bluetooth and the cable? If so, this is likely the issue. If you plan to use the cable, you do not need to connect via Bluetooth.

Also, the USB-C port is not for CarPlay, you must use the other USB port for that.

I’ve had an XR and now a 15 on an SE and have literally had zero issues with CarPlay, aside from an odd issue with the first phone call made each time it’s connected.

I never connected the phone by Bluetooth, cable only, and it has always worked.

The cables I have used are the Zkapor cables from Amazon, based on another forum user’s recommendation.

Last edited:
Help, had an iPhone XR bought upgraded to a 15, didn’t help that the usb-c port didn’t work got an adapter for the charger so I could plug into the usb,
couldn’t get car play to work, read all the threads finally tried switching on and off both the car and
phone worked then tried again and didn’t work. Does this mean I have to go into car play each time and press forget this car to reinstate every time I make a journey? Or is there a firmware update? Or is it unique to IPhones and not androids which means I’ll have to get a cheap android just for the car! It’s an MG4 SE extended range.

Your profile says SE SR. The SE only comes in this and in the SE LR (long range) configurations. The only extended range model is a Trophy. Could you confirm which model you have, as this type of problem seems to be seen more often in Trophies.

I have had several issues trying to get my iPhone to work with my Trophy but eventually it seems to have stuck and is now working.

1)Bluetooth was very temperamental, virtually every time I got in the car the infotainment display would pop up a pairing request but according to the iPhone it was connected but would not work.
After 3 days I deleted the Bluetooth entries on the infotainment display, then deleted all the entries on the iphone for MG, I then turned the car off and got out and locked. Got back in and got into ready mode, changed the Bluetooth name on the car from MG to STG, then searched for my iphone on the infotainment display and paired it. It has now stayed working for 2 days now.
Several things on my new trophy seems to needs a few days to bed in and work, it took ages for the sat nav to sync up to the 4G signal, I live in a poor signal area and have to use WiFi-Calling on my iphone most of the time when at home etc. I also notice the 4G signal icon on the infotainment display going on and off so presume it too had signal issues.

2) I have a lighting cable plugged into the USB-A port and then connect to the iphone and car play works well. My lighting cable is a branded cable from Duracell and works ok apart from occasionally dropping out of the iphone as my iphone socket is not great. Remember the USB-A port is for Carplay/Android Auto, is the smart USB plug, the USB C is just for USB sticks etc and power.

3) Small issue I have found is if the iphone is not cabled in but lying on the wireless charging mat I do keep getting a message on the infotainment telling me that the phone is wireless charging, it seems to do this when there is bumps in the road so presume the phone moves ever so slightly to retrigger the message.

4) I have a 128Gb tine memory stick in the USB-C port which has thousands of tracks plus lots of videos.

I have to report that after using the car several times since I did the above changes and the bluetooth was working and keeping the connection, then I have just gone out for the 5th time today in the car and as soon as the infotainment screen has loaded up pops the repairing request again.

I shall start a new thread for my Bluetooth Issues

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel