jerrylooney

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi ,

Dumb soon to be owner / 1st ev question:

I plotted in a test route.

ABRP Results: 125 miles Motorway drive / 201 km / 100% charge, arrives with 20%.
  • Stated range is 435KM/ 270 mile Range
  • The MG calculator states 205 miles / 329 km for that driving style
80 miles /128 KM remaining out of the MG state driving style range.
20% of 329km is 66KM ,

Is ABRP too conservative with this model, inaccurate or is it factoring in something i'm missing?

MG Estimation:
1676491071231.png

ABRP: (21% so I don't doxx myself lol)
1676491839386.png

Hi ,

Dumb soon to be owner / 1st ev question:

I plotted in a test route.

ABRP Results: 125 miles Motorway drive / 201 km / 100% charge, arrives with 20%.
  • Stated range is 435KM/ 270 mile Range
  • The MG calculator states 205 miles / 329 km for that driving style
80 miles /128 KM remaining out of the MG state driving style range.
20% of 329km is 66KM ,

Is ABRP too conservative with this model, inaccurate or is it factoring in something i'm missing?

MG Estimation:
View attachment 15246

ABRP: (21% so I don't doxx myself lol)
View attachment 15248
I have also been playing about with it and have noticed you can actually change the preset range efficiency to a better figure, as I think it is a bit conserative for me in Spain. But untill I actually get the car cannot say what it will actually be. so at first I will probable believe it until I know.

I have also been playing about with it and have noticed you can actually change the preset range efficiency to a better figure, as I think it is a bit conserative for me in Spain. But untill I actually get the car cannot say what it will actually be. so at first I will probable believe it until I know.
good to know, it feels conservative to me here too but heard so many good things about abrp that it made me wonder....

good to know, it feels conservative to me here too but heard so many good things about abrp that it made me wonder....
It looks a bit conservative to me too. For instance, I drove my Trophy to Scotland and back either side of Christmas. Can't remember all the details but I do know that for the first part of the journey I started with 100% charge, got slightly lost and did nearly 160 miles to the first charging stop and arrived at the charger with 29% and 60 miles remaining. 140 of those miles were on motorway/dual carriageway with ACC set at 70mph, the other 20 miles were on B roads at around 50-60mph. It was similar on the way home where I left the same charger with 91% and arrived home with 19% and 39 miles showing after a 155 miles run, again with all but the final 20 miles on the motorway at 70mph. So 125 miles leaving just 20% seems a bit low, especially as it wasn't exactly hot when I made my trip!

the reassurance i needed :)
It looks a bit conservative to me too. For instance, I drove my Trophy to Scotland and back either side of Christmas. Can't remember all the details but I do know that for the first part of the journey I started with 100% charge, got slightly lost and did nearly 160 miles to the first charging stop and arrived at the charger with 29% and 60 miles remaining. 140 of those miles were on motorway/dual carriageway with ACC set at 70mph, the other 20 miles were on B roads at around 50-60mph. It was similar on the way home where I left the same charger with 91% and arrived home with 19% and 39 miles showing after a 155 miles run, again with all but the final 20 miles on the motorway at 70mph. So 125 miles leaving just 20% seems a bit low, especially as it wasn't exactly hot when I made my trip!

ABRP is very conservative and IMO not really worth it unless you pay for the subscription and have an OBD plugged in and connected.
Simpler solution as reported many times is plan a place about 2 hours into journey, or bladder capacity look for chargers around there and then use any satnav to get there.

You will get to know your car and how far to go.

ABRP is very conservative and IMO not really worth it unless you pay for the subscription and have an OBD plugged in and connected.
Simpler solution as reported many times is plan a place about 2 hours into journey, or bladder capacity look for chargers around there and then use any satnav to get there.

You will get to know your car and how far to go.
Agreed. Anytime I've tried ABRP it's wanted me to stop far too often. For long journeys I tend to use zap map and filter it to show the 100+kW chargers and pick from those to suit my battery/bladder/hunger distances. If I need to, I use Google maps to check the distances.

Using ABRP - how on earth do you reload saved routes? I planned a route and saved it, but now I can't see any way loading it back again. Anyone know how to?
Does this help?…

• To save and restore a trip - Plan your trip, then on the plan page click "Save Plan". To reload that plan, go to the waypoint listing and click "Saved Plans", you should see your saved plan in that list. You can edit the trip name there to something more easy to remember. Clicking on that plan pulls it back up.”

Ah, I think I've found it now. That instruction
a) doesn't mention having to click on "Plans" first, or
b) actually explain that the waypoint listing isn't actually labelled as a waypoint listing.
I was looking for something "clickable" called "waypoint listing" rather than being aware that the actual route planning panel was what they are referring to!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 88 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back