• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Is an MG5ev right for me.

If you don’t need to be Vat, its often best not to be. While you can get 20% back on your supplies, you have to charge your customers 20% more…

I don't really have range anxiety. I just have no interest in charging during the day it's just not practical.
My normal day starts at 7am I don't often stop for lunch if I do it's because a customer has made me a brew. Then home just before 7pm
I never park in the street as customers have drives and normally miles from shops.

If you don’t need to be Vat, its often best not to be. While you can get 20% back on your supplies, you have to charge your customers 20% more…
That's the conclusion I came to it's swings and roundabouts and not really worth the extra paperwork for me.
Some customers are quite relieved that im not because the extra 20% makes competitors quotes look high in comparison.

It amazes me how many people I talk to that bash there lack of range then tell you they only drive local.
I love the idea of an EV car but Loth the idea of an EV motorcycle.
To me riding a bike is about getting the gear changes and corners right.

I recall talking to a work colleague not long after getting my Leaf. She was very enthusiastic until finding out that you don't have to change gear, and then promptly said that she could never contemplate ever having a car like that!! It's odd as I have only started to be interested in cars since EVs have been a thing.

No one has managed to talk me out of buying a LR exclusive yet even though I know it will be tight room wise. The dealer quoted £27800 in white with mats and charge cable. Seems a little steep to me so holding out until they offer a colour and spare wheel.
Just thinking about the charger if I go for a tethered cable will I need to unwind if fully to prevent it overheating. The charger will be mounted right in front of were the cars parked.

No one has managed to talk me out of buying a LR exclusive yet even though I know it will be tight room wise. The dealer quoted £27800 in white with mats and charge cable. Seems a little steep to me so holding out until they offer a colour and spare wheel.
Just thinking about the charger if I go for a tethered cable will I need to unwind if fully to prevent it overheating. The charger will be mounted right in front of were the cars parked.
I asked the unwind cable question to the installer of my Pod Point and he said such a short length wouldn't make any difference. My cable gets very slightly warm if I'm charging for a long time whether it's unwound or not. I just unwind enough to let the cable lay flat on the ground so delivery people don't trip over it.

I asked the unwind cable question to the installer of my Pod Point and he said such a short length wouldn't make any difference. My cable gets very slightly warm if I'm charging for a long time whether it's unwound or not. I just unwind enough to let the cable lay flat on the ground so delivery people don't trip over it.
Good to know I have to park with the nose inches away from the wall to get the rear end in enough.

Both vans are side by side inches away from each other.

The dealer quoted £27800 in white with mats and charge cable.
If I had to pay that much I would stretch an extra 700 and get the new ZS. Extra 23 miles of range and much better screen plus app. Only issue is lack of roof rails on SE trim.

I've learnt to be patient show no interest and make the dealer work for it.
I have no intention of paying that much.

If you want tell them it's for a small business they might do you a deal.

If you want tell them it's for a small business they might do you a deal.
Is being a small business a qualifying criteria for MG Affinity?

The MG Affinity programme has launched, meaning that all public sector workers, including all emergency service workers and frontline healthcare staff, as well as those who are privately running small and local businesses, will be eligible for big discounts on a range of MG models.

One thing to consider is that the seats don't fold down flat. As the bench seat is fixed. I know you say you will take them out but not sure if the floor would be flat or what. I'm only going off what I've read though as mine hasn't arrived yet

The range will be more than enough for 95% of your needs. You will find ways around the other 5%.

Customers will not be concerned about the vehicle being an estate and not a van. So long as you are professional.

Small businesses qualify for the AffInity scheme. The current price for the MG5 exclusive, with choice of paint and a type 2 cable, is £24850ish. The excite is approx £2k less.

Pretty sure if you are self employed you can write off 100% of the value of a zero emissions car in the first part, or full, financial year of ownership.

The range will be more than enough for 95% of your needs. You will find ways around the other 5%.

Customers will not be concerned about the vehicle being an estate and not a van. So long as you are professional.

Small businesses qualify for the AffInity scheme. The current price for the MG5 exclusive, with choice of paint and a type 2 cable, is £24850ish. The excite is approx £2k less.

Pretty sure if you are self employed you can write off 100% of the value of a zero emissions car in the first part, or full, financial year of ownership.
But that means you cant claim the 45p mileage allowance though and are stuck with ‘actual’ costs for length of vehicle , which won’t be much, and any personal use has to be apportioned for in the capital allowance. This is a calculation that needs to be considered carefully depending on how many miles you do. eg. 10,000 miles a year would give you £4,500 off your tax due on the mileage rate each year.

My view:

I'm pretty sure you can get it on affinity for small businesses. So that would work out at around £24,600 ish.

I am VAT registered, definitely worth it!
I pay my accountant to do it all save me the hassle. It would save you an instant 20%.
So that would mean the car costs you just under 20k. Plus it comes out as an expense so that's before tax... another 20/40% so that brings the actual cost to around £15744 If you're a basic tax payer, more of you earn a lot.

Range wouldn't be an issue as long as you can charge at home overnight

My electrician and plumber has a car and not a van, I didnt think once that it seemed unprofessional, I'd prefer a car instead of a honking great big white van on my driveway.

If that other guy can use it as a works car and take seats out then why not

As for people that don't like EV's, they must be stupid or something. Be the same people that thoughts DVD'S are just as good as VHS, the Internet won't take off, bitcoin is pointless and don't have a covid vaccine because it infringes on your personal rights or some rubbish like that. (Possibly devide people on the last point) 🤔

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom