Is current journey consumption just a guess?

johnnygrigore

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm asking this cause i realized that accumulated and current journey displays totally different consumption. What i mean is i've done a reset after fully charged and since then i've done like 4 trips of about 17 to 20km. First one showed 15.8kwh/100km second one 15.9, third one 18.2 and the last like the picture shows 18.5. How come accumulated shows 76.7 km and a consumption of 14.7 kwh/100km? Wasn't supposed to be an avarage of the 4 trips?
Sorry for using metric but i'm in norway

Attachments

• IMG_20210404_145838.jpg
    IMG_20210404_145838.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20210404_145832.jpg
    IMG_20210404_145832.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 148
Hi - from what I can gather from my little experience with electric cars is that the battery usage is down to a host of factors such as weather, temperature, what is drawing power (heating, lights, wipers, etc.), how 'hard' you accelerate and lots of others.

Basically, the consumption on the same trip may differ because it may not be replicated exactly - you may have accelerated harder a few more times than on other trips, or the wind may have changed direction and is now blowing against you (causing the engine to work harder and drawing more power), or the traffic may have been lighter (or heavier) than other trips so you are stopping and starting more, etc.

Obviously, you also have to factor in whether the batteries are warm (if they've just been charged) and the ground conditions - if there's snow / slush lying it won't be good for tyre efficiency I can only presume?

I'm sure others, with much more knowledge than I have, will chip in and maybe provide more info!

Cheers

Bloggsy

Upvote 0
Hi - from what I can gather from my little experience with electric cars is that the battery usage is down to a host of factors such as weather, temperature, what is drawing power (heating, lights, wipers, etc.), how 'hard' you accelerate and lots of others.

Basically, the consumption on the same trip may differ because it may not be replicated exactly - you may have accelerated harder a few more times than on other trips, or the wind may have changed direction and is now blowing against you (causing the engine to work harder and drawing more power), or the traffic may have been lighter (or heavier) than other trips so you are stopping and starting more, etc.

Obviously, you also have to factor in whether the batteries are warm (if they've just been charged) and the ground conditions - if there's snow / slush lying it won't be good for tyre efficiency I can only presume?

I'm sure others, with much more knowledge than I have, will chip in and maybe provide more info!

Cheers

Bloggsy
No different to ICE cars, ALL the factors you mention reduce or increase the mpg on both EV and ICE Cars. One factor however with an ICE car that is different , is the weight of the fuel, every time you fill up to full you increase the fuel consumption which gets better as you use the fuel. I am fairly sure a EV Battery weighs the same full or empty.

Everyone on this forum (well, maybe not everyone) seem obsessed with the range and how to maximise it, well, we all know how (just as an ICE car) drive really bloody slowly ( but simplistic but you get the gist) oh, and having heater, lights, radio A.C. etc etc also reduce the MPG on ICE cars, albeit if affects EV cars more.

I would never drive my car without the necessary ancillaries on and would only turn them off if absolutely necessary.

Buying a big gas guzzling V8/V12 is equal to buying a short range EV, you have to fill up more often and get less mileage!!!

Buying a 900cc equates to for example a Kia e-Niro or Kona.

The point I am really making is accept what is the possible range of your car under the worst case scenario, (including possible broken chargers) and just plan all journeys outside your return range carefully.

We all know that most of us will NEVER get near the manufacturers claimed mileage from their cars EV or ICE, I certainly never do. My last new petrol car was a 2019 MG ZS 1ltr Auto and I only got 22- 24 Mpg around town, I just put that down to a lead foot.

I never get range anxiety (unless I am about to run out, but in my opinion that is caused by poor planning so it's not really range anxiety it's a cock up). The problem I have got is simple, charger anxiety, which if you have ran an EV for any time you will know what I mean.

The only consoulation is that I am sure the public infrastructure will have improved dramatically in the next couple of years and also the way battery technology is improving (if you believe what you read) you may be able to charge your battery in not much more than it takes to fill up an ICE car. Also the 1000 Miles on one charge has been muted as possible in the next couple of years.

Happy motoring.

Frank

Upvote 0
No different to ICE cars, ALL the factors you mention reduce or increase the mpg on both EV and ICE Cars. One factor however with an ICE car that is different , is the weight of the fuel, every time you fill up to full you increase the fuel consumption which gets better as you use the fuel. I am fairly sure a EV Battery weighs the same full or empty.

Everyone on this forum (well, maybe not everyone) seem obsessed with the range and how to maximise it, well, we all know how (just as an ICE car) drive really bloody slowly ( but simplistic but you get the gist) oh, and having heater, lights, radio A.C. etc etc also reduce the MPG on ICE cars, albeit if affects EV cars more.

I would never drive my car without the necessary ancillaries on and would only turn them off if absolutely necessary.

Buying a big gas guzzling V8/V12 is equal to buying a short range EV, you have to fill up more often and get less mileage!!!

Buying a 900cc equates to for example a Kia e-Niro or Kona.

The point I am really making is accept what is the possible range of your car under the worst case scenario, (including possible broken chargers) and just plan all journeys outside your return range carefully.

We all know that most of us will NEVER get near the manufacturers claimed mileage from their cars EV or ICE, I certainly never do. My last new petrol car was a 2019 MG ZS 1ltr Auto and I only got 22- 24 Mpg around town, I just put that down to a lead foot.

I never get range anxiety (unless I am about to run out, but in my opinion that is caused by poor planning so it's not really range anxiety it's a cock up). The problem I have got is simple, charger anxiety, which if you have ran an EV for any time you will know what I mean.

The only consoulation is that I am sure the public infrastructure will have improved dramatically in the next couple of years and also the way battery technology is improving (if you believe what you read) you may be able to charge your battery in not much more than it takes to fill up an ICE car. Also the 1000 Miles on one charge has been muted as possible in the next couple of years.

Happy motoring.

Frank
Well said Frank, wise words 👍

Upvote 0
It would suggest from the figures that taking the average of the total driving history experience to calculate mpk is not the only metric that it uses. Maybe factors in temperature? If one trip was much longer than the others then that could partially explain it but it’s not the case. Or perhaps the long range trip needs to have a minimum distance covered before it solely uses the driver trip and also uses the wltp partially- all guesses really.

Upvote 0
Yeah well said, but nothing to do with my question. I wasn't complaining about getting different consumption on similar trips but about the fact the car is showing unrelated consumption in current and accumulated/total. Maybe i didn't explain my issue good enough so i'll try again in imperial system. I made 4 short trips within 48 miles starting from 0 in accumulated. Those 4 trips were rated at 3.8 m/kwh, 3.9 , 3.3 and 3.2. But the acumulated showed 4.1 m/kwh. And this where i don't understand how the car calculates accumulated. But i see that i'm not the only one as @notdodgy understood my question and found a similar situation.

Upvote 0
It would suggest from the figures that taking the average of the total driving history experience to calculate mpk is not the only metric that it uses. Maybe factors in temperature? If one trip was much longer than the others then that could partially explain it but it’s not the case. Or perhaps the long range trip needs to have a minimum distance covered before it solely uses the driver trip and also uses the wltp partially- all guesses really.
yeah...you might be right about minimum distance but i dont see the point. i think it's a pretty simple math formula that needed to be implemented there.

Upvote 0
It uses that number for the range prediction - so maybe the calculation tries to prevent that swinging wildly when early data is used? I don’t know the answers or if it makes sense - just speculating.

Upvote 0
It looks to me that the accumulated figure is not calculated from the individual trip figures (I'm probably stating the bleeding obvious here).

A separate algorithm may well produce a result that then can't be traced back the way the op is trying to do.

Personally, I don't put too much faith in any of the calculations. I treat them sceptically when planning journeys.

Upvote 0
I understand the issues raised on range. However on a journey of 50 miles I am now using 100 miles of battery. When first purchased,2019, I did the return journey without any problem. My maximum range is now limited to Approximately 70 miles. Same journey same parameters as before.
Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I understand the issues raised on range. However on a journey of 50 miles I am now using 100 miles of battery. When first purchased,2019, I did the return journey without any problem. My maximum range is now limited to Approximately 70 miles. Same journey same parameters as before.
Any ideas?
check the bad bms update threads as there's a lot of them..it looks like you have a long journey of charges before you get to where you were but starting by going to your dealer and update to the latest bms

Upvote 0
Any ideas?
Haven’t you also posted this on a different thread? Were the responses not useful?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Haven’t you also posted this on a different thread? Were the responses not useful?
Had the latest BMS update done 2 weeks ago. No improvement.
ok...but that's just the first step in what i said it's gone take a lot of slow charges depending of how much you were affected by the bad bms. Either way this is not the thread to discuss this as it's not about that. As i suggestes before there's a lot of threads covering your issue and people kinda got tired of seeing the same thing everywhere.

Upvote 0
yeah...you might be right about minimum distance but i dont see the point. i think it's a pretty simple math formula that needed to be implemented there.

I've been thinking about this.

Could it be due to regen....

Accumulated 14.7 kWh/100km or 11.27kWh used.
15.8 / 15.9 / 18.2 / 18.5 = Average 17.1 kWh/100km or 13.12kWh used.
(I know the full trip details are needed to work out the average properly but they sound like very similar distances so total divide by 4)

IF....Accumulated is the amount of actual original battery energy used and, Trip is amount of total energy actually used including what has been regenerated, that would make the Trip higher than the Accumulated kWh.

That all said, I've not noticed that they don't add up (I do reset my accumulated each charge though so usually only have 2 trips on it to average out).
This isn't applicable for your figures as your duration times add up, but remember the kWh does change if the car is on (heating etc) but not moving.

Can some others test this out, make a note of all the trip and accumulated details over few journeys?

Upvote 0
No. I have had nothing else to offer as an answer to my question. I will be taking the car in tomorrow morning to see if an answer can be found.Will report back later.
I relied to your question.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom