Is it ok to charge to 100% with a granny charger?

I have recently purchased a MG ZS EV and have been trying to learn about it. Currently I charge with the Granny charger provided with the car. It takes a long time to charge, although normally I am in no hurry. A number of articles recommend you do not charge to 100% - is this the case, or does it generally relate to fast chargers?

I am in the process of have a 32amp dedicated circuit put into my house so that I can use a 7 kw home charger - can I charge to 100% with this charger? Any advice would be appreciated.
I installed a 32 amp dedicated circuit for a 7kw home charger
Between approx 20% battery level. and charging it to 80% it adds approx 13% charge per hour
Research suggests that using a granny charger may have implications other than the fact its slow ( it adds approx 10km of travel for every hour of charge)
It draws about 10 amps, so leaving it on charge for a long time may not be good for the existing wiring in your home..it may overheat the wiring.

I have a late 2022 ZS EV, it has a stated range of 320km ( usually get around 290km)
I spoke with the service agent about charging
My inital understanding was that I should charge in the 20% to 80% range,for reasons of managing battery life , ( unless i take it to 100% for a long trip )
The service agent said that for the battery type i have ( no I dont know what it is) that I can charge to 100% at any time, without negatively impacting on battery life

I installed a 32 amp dedicated circuit for a 7kw home charger
Between approx 20% battery level. and charging it to 80% it adds approx 13% charge per hour
Research suggests that using a granny charger may have implications other than the fact its slow ( it adds approx 10km of travel for every hour of charge)
It draws about 10 amps, so leaving it on charge for a long time may not be good for the existing wiring in your home..it may overheat the wiring.

I have a late 2022 ZS EV, it has a stated range of 320km ( usually get around 290km)
I spoke with the service agent about charging
My inital understanding was that I should charge in the 20% to 80% range,for reasons of managing battery life , ( unless i take it to 100% for a long trip )
The service agent said that for the battery type i have ( no I dont know what it is) that I can charge to 100% at any time, without negatively impacting on battery life
You have LFP, but the 100% charge is for the BMS to be able to accurately predict range, not for battery life.

Due to the chemistry make up of LFP cell’s, they just tend to struggle slightly more with making an accurate prediction on remaining range.
It is often seen that models that are fitted with LFP batteries, it is suggested to charge these units to 100% every single charge.
The ZS EV ( Gen 2 ) standard range model has an LFP battery and MG have advised that charging to 100% as general practice.
This can been seen in the standard range model, as the charging percentage level can not be set lower than 100%.
The long range model has a different battery chemistry, so the owners can chose there required SOC level.
Many LR owners tend to use this facility to only charge their cars to 80% SOC for shorter local trips and then increase the charging level to 100% SOC for the longer journeys.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom