Is the ZS worth the wait??

Jonnobris

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi,

I currently have a ZS LR on order. Given the fact that the deliveries keep getting pushed and I have an option of a MG5 LR arriving end of month, would current owners of the 5 think that the ZS would be worth the wait and extra £££ over the 5? In many ways I think I have waited 4 months but this could easily be pushed to June or July?

Why did you choose the 5 over the ZS?
Thanks

I'd turn that question on its head and ask you why you favour the ZS over the MG5?

Hi,

I currently have a ZS LR on order. Given the fact that the deliveries keep getting pushed and I have an option of a MG5 LR arriving end of month, would current owners of the 5 think that the ZS would be worth the wait and extra £££ over the 5? In many ways I think I have waited 4 months but this could easily be pushed to June or July?

Thanks
the only situation where i would choose the 5 is the new ( as yet unreleased one ) model as i think it looks quite smart , for me the current 5 is just terminally bland , I could not drive something that boring

Hi,

Thanks
Hi, I bought a ZS in November 2020 and although I am happy with it I could be sorely tempted with the long range 5.

I have the mg5 LR and honestly I prefer it's looks to the ZS ( new and old model ), probably because I'm fed up with seeing SUV's. In the good old days there were saloons, hatchbacks, off-roaders, estates, coupes and sports cars. Now all I see : SUV's. Everywhere. Quashqai, Tuscon, X1, X3, Kuga, Kadjar, Duster, Mokka, ix35 etc..etc..etc...zzzzzzzzz. . I like my passat-like mg5. Also, I drove the ZS and the MG5 and I thought the MG5 felt bigger and "airy" ( sorry for the subjective ). Also, I run a holiday let business and I just couldnt quiet fit my stuff into a ZS. The ZS is a pretty car though ( for an SUV ). Maybe an age thing. ( I'm relatively decayed )

Do you want an estate or SUV, what do you currently drive?
I have had a number of ICE estates so the MG5 was an obvious choice

My wife read a story today in which it was claimed that if all the SUVs in the world made up a nation, it would be the sixth biggest producer of CO2 in the world. Quite simply car obesity!

Seriously considering changing my order to an MG5 now as my dealer has some available next month and when I spoke to them they couldn't guarantee that th ZS would even be with me by July

Seriously considering changing my order to an MG5 now as my dealer has some available next month and when I spoke to them they couldn't guarantee that th ZS would even be with me by July
With the trend very much towards SUV,s , I'd wager the ZS will hold its value much better

I debated the two

+ve for the ZS:
Residuals will be better than the 5 (my guess, based on SUVs vs Estate popularity and the fact the 5 will be replaced by the newer model at some point)
Better/upgraded infotainment - bigger and faster
App (preheating / check charge etc)
Higher ride height (if you like this)

+ve for the 5:
Cheaper list cost
More efficient (aerodynamics vs SUV)
More practical bootspace
Available sooner

Personally (and this is totally subjective), I like the look of the new (European) 5 but wasn’t willing to wait! And the ZS was cheaper on lease than 5.

I debated the two

+ve for the ZS:
Residuals will be better than the 5 (my guess, based on SUVs vs Estate popularity and the fact the 5 will be replaced by the newer model at some point)
Better/upgraded infotainment - bigger and faster
App (preheating / check charge etc)
Higher ride height (if you like this)

+ve for the 5:
Cheaper list cost
More efficient (aerodynamics vs SUV)
More practical bootspace
Available sooner

Personally (and this is totally subjective), I like the look of the new (European) 5 but wasn’t willing to wait! And the ZS was cheaper on lease than 5.
Pretty much the same pov as me! I wasn't willing to wait until the end of the year to see if the facelifted 5 was going to be available. I've had an SUV (BMW X1) and yeah it was a nice driving position, but I've had one now. Not really that bothered about another. I need a car big enough to move a drum kit round, so the ZS is a tad small. Estates are perfect for band members! The new 5 with the updated infotainment, app connectivity & functionality is the perfect storm for me, so I plan on changing quite soon into my deal. We'll see how soon when MG finally decide to release the new one here!

Hi,

Thanks
When I bought my MG5LR, the facelift ZS obviously wasn't available - so it was 163 miles vs 250 miles combined with my personal preference for an estate. Now, if I was to do it again, even with Affinity Programme discount, the ZS LR Trophy (I need roof rails) is £29,772 - that's over £5k more than my MG5LR (or £3.5k more than current MG5LR) - even with all the improvements, it's not worth that premium to me. Even the facelift MG5 which might be available this year - it will be better but at what cost?

Yes I would have to spend an extra 8.5k to trade my MG5 SR in to get the ZS Trophy and I personally dont think its worth 8.5k extra. I'm hoping the new MG5 this year will have a close to 300 mile range at around 25k on affinity maybe and then I would get that.

Yes I would have to spend an extra 8.5k to trade my MG5 SR in to get the ZS Trophy and I personally dont think its worth 8.5k extra. I'm hoping the new MG5 this year will have a close to 300 mile range at around 25k on affinity maybe and then I would get that.
I have a strong suspicion that the UK MG5 facelift will have pretty much the same drivetrain as the MG5LR - European site suggests the reintroduction of the battery pack from the MG5SR too (they're listing both 400km/250mile & 320km/200mile models).

Going to be interesting if Affinity appears at launch or later (as happened with facelift ZS). Pricing? Hopefully list price will remain mostly the same and underneath the 32k threshold but the higher spec Long Range might creep over - time will tell.

I have a strong suspicion that the UK MG5 facelift will have pretty much the same drivetrain as the MG5LR - European site suggests the reintroduction of the battery pack from the MG5SR too (they're listing both 400km/250mile & 320km/200mile models).

Going to be interesting if Affinity appears at launch or later (as happened with facelift ZS). Pricing? Hopefully list price will remain mostly the same and underneath the 32k threshold but the higher spec Long Range might creep over - time will tell.

If you dont get anymore range then I wouldnt bother. I would expect something a bit more than just a facelift. Yes you'll get the app I assume and a few other bits but for me it needs a longer range than the current long range.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom