Is there a built in wheel lock?

ayrma

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
We’ve had some attempted and successful vehicle thefts recently and I’ve bought Disklok wheel lock. However, upon installation I now realise it is meant to be used in conjunction with the built in wheel column lock. Every car I have used has had one, but I can’t seem to figure out how to use one on the MG4.

Does it have a wheel column lock?

Do you mean turning the wheel so that it locks in position (like would happen when the key is removed)? Can't say I've ever tried or noticed.

Do you mean turning the wheel so that it locks in position (like would happen when the key is removed)? Can't say I've ever tried or noticed.
Yeah one of these.

IDK if it locks but it's almost impossible to turn the electric steering when the car is turned off.

And agree - but they’ve been stealing the vehicles so more concerned about stopping them once they get it started. Three vehicles gone in the last week. 😟

The steering wheel lock was a back-up security feature for ICE cars with mechanical steering so once the car had been hot-wired it couldn't be steered.

If you are really concerned about stopping your car being stolen use a Stoplock as a visual deterrent, keep your keys in a Faraday box/pouch and that includes the spare, and get your windows etched for £20 at Halfords. Window etching stops 45% of car thefts and helps 50% of those that are stolen be returned.

The steering wheel lock was a back-up security feature for ICE cars with mechanical steering so once the car had been hot-wired it couldn't be steered.

If you are really concerned about stopping your car being stolen use a Stoplock as a visual deterrent, keep your keys in a Faraday box/pouch and that includes the spare, and get your windows etched for £20 at Halfords. Window etching stops 45% of car thefts and helps 50% of those that are stolen be returned.
Thank you

Didn’t know this. With stats like that I might get it done.
My previous cars were always etched at point of sale so never bothered asking for it.

Etching, as in getting the VRM or VIN etched on the glass panels? Or something else, like your postcode? (Would only be useful if you never move house). Or your name? (Which would make selling the car harder).

Etching, as in getting the VRM or VIN etched on the glass panels? Or something else, like your postcode? (Would only be useful if you never move house). Or your name? (Which would make selling the car harder).
From Halfords website:
The service consists of visibly etching all the windows of a vehicle with the logo of the International Security Register (the ISR) and a code unique to the vehicle. The unique code is linked to a fully certified and secure database used by all Police Forces in the UK!

Think I may well get this done - I mean that's a 20 quid no brainer right there 👍🙏.
In addition to this when I picked up my car last week I was informed they no longer come with locking wheel nuts. The salesman was very reassuring with a " I mean who'd want to nick those". We both had a good laugh 🤡

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back