• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Is your airconditioning cold enough?

And when the refrigerant leaks out so does the lubrication which invariably makes the clutch seize (speaking from recent experience with my ICE car)

Last edited:
I would agree with that statement.
On previous cars I have owned, if you set the A/C to super cold 🥶 when the air flow is directed at the front screen, you can see a small band of condensation / ice forming across the bottom of the wind screen.
The MG does not get THAT cold.
Like others have said, it’s works well on the min setting, but not as cold as some systems I have witnessed.
The Americans have fantastic A/C units in the majority of cars that I have driven over there.
Tinting the windows on the ZS EV - WILL improve the situation, as the factory glass offers no protection from the sun ☀️ at all.
If you use the “Recirculation” button, it will help cool down the car more quickly, but it may start to mist the glass after a while.
If you have the sun roof, don’t have it tilted or the side windows cracked open when you have the HVAC running.
I do like to have the sun roof tilted when the weather permits.
It helps change the air in the cabin and preserves the range a little as a bonus.
The HVAC in the ZS EV is a basic A/C unit with NO climate control.
I don’t find that a big problem at all to be fare.
My previous VW Golf had climate control, but I don’t really see any difference to be totally honest.
If you want heat or cool air you just turn the dial, what’s hard about that ?.
Yes - You may have to adjust the settings a little as the weather condition are constantly changing in the U.K.
But these are only a first world problems really.
I do like having actual dials that you can turn to set both temp and fan speed.
All that “Faffing” about in menus on screens to alter the settings is distracting when you are driving and can therefore be unsafe.
Agree with lovemyev. Tinting made a big difference and AC isn't the coldest but done the job in the Qld summer. Would never use in Eco mode thought. We don't miss climate control but do miss the vents through to the back seat as fan needs to be on higher speed so the kids and dog in the boot to dehydrate 🥵

Was out for a run today - first time using aircon.

Air con kept stopping - was in Eco mode.

Didn't think to try it in normal mode until now - is intermittent aircon normal in Eco mode ??

Just looked at a ZS EV today in the showroom - test drive in the future. I normally run air con/climate control all year round in my CR-V on 16 deg and 17 or 18 when wife on board. Will ZS EV give me 16 degrees?

I find the cold air setting adequate in hot weather. I tend to have the air blowing through the vents. I’ve had colder but it does the job. I can also live with not having auto climate control. The worst part (apart from the lag of the controls when setting) is the lack of any air conditioning at all when using heat. The cold air button is redundant when using the heater (although it still illuminates) and quite a few have complained of steaming up - aircon would sort this out. It’s a very basic setup designed to just give colder air during hotter weather with the user setting the fan speed.

One thing I have been caught out with on a couple of occasions, is this.
You have either the heat or the A/C on for a short while and then you turn it completely off.
When you do this, it put the HVAC into recirculation mode.
After a couple of mins the side windows will start to mist up, due to the lack of any air flow into the car.
Releasing the recirculation button avoids this from happening.

Does anyone find the airflow/AC settings reset after a power off?
All the other settings keep their previous values (after the Comfort 2) update, but the AC system always has to be re-engaged...

Does anyone find the airflow/AC settings reset after a power off?
All the other settings keep their previous values (after the Comfort 2) update, but the AC system always has to be re-engaged...
No, mine always comes on in the state I left it when I switched off last time.

Was out for a run today - first time using aircon.

Air con kept stopping - was in Eco mode.

Didn't think to try it in normal mode until now - is intermittent aircon normal in Eco mode ??
Also had longish trip yesterday (very sunny and warm) on ECO and found the fan kept cutting out after a few minutes. Further comments on here suggest in ECO power is reduced to such ancilliary electrical devices so next time we need aircon I'll try using NORMAL mode.

It was annoying it kept cutting out when it was so warm and aircon was really needed but the helpful chat on this forum has really helped allay my worries.

Also had longish trip yesterday (very sunny and warm) on ECO and found the fan kept cutting out after a few minutes. Further comments on here suggest in ECO power is reduced to such ancilliary electrical devices so next time we need aircon I'll try using NORMAL mode.

It was annoying it kept cutting out when it was so warm and aircon was really needed but the helpful chat on this forum has really helped allay my worries.
You will never achieve Max A/C cooling or heating the cabin when using Eco mode.
Eco mode is aimed at trying to preserve your range and the HVAC system, is a hungry brute when it comes to consuming your range !.
I never use Eco mode, I find I can achieve similar returns by driving carefully in the default Normal mode.
It has the added advantage of Max Regen level 3 which I like and become very use to using now after 15 months of ownership.
Each to there own I guess 😊.

You will never achieve Max A/C cooling or heating the cabin when using Eco mode.
Eco mode is aimed at trying to preserve your range and the HVAC system, is a hungry brute when it comes to consuming your range !.
I never use Eco mode, I find I can achieve similar returns by driving carefully in the default Normal mode.
It has the added advantage of Max Regen level 3 which I like and become very use to using now after 15 months of ownership.
Each to there own I guess 😊.

So today (again warm and sunny) tried a trip in NORMAL mode - aircon OK for a while but then same problems of fan turning itself off every few minutes or so, as yesterday when in ECIO mode. Only seemed to stay on if fan speed was set to maximum - but this is deafeningly loud and very, very cold. Doesn't seem to want to stay on at any lower fan speeds - this must be a fault - surely. Anyone with similar issues? Will be contacting dealer shortly.

My fan cuts off if I go over speed 3, I have emailed my dealer.
I only get a draw of 2 amps with the aircon on, get 3.6 miles per KW on the motorway with the aircon on, getting a temperature of 8 c from the vents

So today (again warm and sunny) tried a trip in NORMAL mode - aircon OK for a while but then same problems of fan turning itself off every few minutes or so, as yesterday when in ECIO mode. Only seemed to stay on if fan speed was set to maximum - but this is deafeningly loud and very, very cold. Doesn't seem to want to stay on at any lower fan speeds - this must be a fault - surely. Anyone with similar issues? Will be contacting dealer shortly.
Sounds to me like its the HVAC fan resistor pack which regulates the fan speed and if faulty you will only get full fan speed , its normally located somewhere in the side of the plastic casing for the interior fan , I guess it could be the connection to the unit they are normally cheap and quick to change and should be under warranty anyway .

My fan cuts off if I go over speed 3, I have emailed my dealer.
I only get a draw of 2 amps with the aircon on, get 3.6 miles per KW on the motorway with the aircon on, getting a temperature of 8 c from the vents

Would be inetersted to know dealer's response and what the diagnosis is? Hope he can fix it. for you.

Sounds to me like its the HVAC fan resistor pack which regulates the fan speed and if faulty you will only get full fan speed , its normally located somewhere in the side of the plastic casing for the interior fan , I guess it could be the connection to the unit they are normally cheap and quick to change and should be under warranty anyway .

Many thanks Alan5 - at least this gives me something concrete to talk to the dealer about.

Faulty HVAC resistor pack replaced under warranty by dealer earlier this week. All ok so far. Only issue was having to wait around 7 weeks for the car to be booked in.

Just looked at a ZS EV today in the showroom - test drive in the future. I normally run air con/climate control all year round in my CR-V on 16 deg and 17 or 18 when wife on board. Will ZS EV give me 16 degrees?
Maybe, but it would take a while.
Definitely would at night without the sun blazing through the untinted windows and recirc on. ;)
I have had a vent temperature of 5 deg C, but I think it would take quite a while to get the cabin temperature down to that.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom