iSmart AC

1pexpert

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi, did a search but didn't see any answers.
I have a SE model and when it is plugged in (even if not charging) I cannot start the AC it throws an error (40).

As soon as unplug it, it works fine. This seems like a bug to me in the software, as the car charges overnight and the whole point of remote AC is that I can set it BEFORE I get to the car.
Any idea who I can contact to report this or ask if that was as designed?

Many thanks

I know some interactive features are exclusive to the Trophy model, but I don't know if these are listed anywhere or whether that feature is one of them. 🤷‍♂️

Yeh I had read that as well, but like I said, it works fine when the car is not plugged in. Only fails when the cable is plugged in, regardless of whether it is charging or not

Hi, did a search but didn't see any answers.
I have a SE model and when it is plugged in (even if not charging) I cannot start the AC it throws an error (40).

As soon as unplug it, it works fine. This seems like a bug to me in the software, as the car charges overnight and the whole point of remote AC is that I can set it BEFORE I get to the car.
Any idea who I can contact to report this or ask if that was as designed?

Many thanks
My charger is being installed right now, I’ll test this out later in the week when it needs a charge. I recommend you complain to the dealer / MG uk customer services.

I’ll do the same if I find it to be the case - the more complains the quicker they will hopefully fix the bug.

Yep mine fails to remotely turn the AC/ preheating the cabin when connected to my charger. I entered the car whilst it was still connected to the charger ( but not currently charging ) and it flagged “HV battery fault” which I’m guessing is because the HV battery remains inactivated until the charger cable is removed ( for safety reasons so you can’t drive away with charge cable plugged in ) I imagine the cabin heater is powered by the HV battery as it uses a lot of juice to do it’s job and the 12v battery wouldn’t be up to this.

Never the less I’m still going to email MG and prehaps they have a work around.

I think the others are saying they are plugged in but not charging - maybe that's the difference?

I think the others are saying they are plugged in but not charging - maybe that's the difference?
Yep I’ve not tried mine whilst it’s pulled in and actively charging ( mine only charges between 00:30 - 4:30 ) when I wake up at 6am the charge cable is plugged in still but doing nothing, the AC / cabin preheat function fails in this senerio.

This goes back to a question I asked a while back

Will preheat use the batteries or a plugged in active charger?

If charger will it override an active schedule set in the car

If you have an active schedule there will no power at the socket unless a signal is sent on the control pilot connection to tell the charger to go active. The schedule may retain control of that cp signal hence the question.

Be interested to find out

Alan

Last edited:
This goes back to a question I asked a while back

Will preheat use the batteries or a plugged in active charger?

If charger will it override an active schedule set in the car

If you have an active schedule there will no power at the socket unless a signal is sent on the control pilot connection to tell the charger to go active. The schedule may retain control of that cp signal hence the question.

Be interested to find out

Alan
Prob irrelevant but on my Outlander if I start heat outside of the car's onboard charge schedule times it'll draw power from the car's supply so I first use the remote to cancel the charge schedule, then the car draws heater or a/c power from the grid (it's always plugged in).

Did you try this this on a manual charge with no active schedule?

Alan
Yes, manual charge with no active schedule. I did notice the charge rate went down while the AC was on, so assume it was taking power direct from the charger. Have also tried before while not plugged in and it worked, not yet tried with cable plugged in but not charging, however with manual charge it will still trickle some power in while plugged in.

Yes, manual charge with no active schedule. I did notice the charge rate went down while the AC was on, so assume it was taking power direct from the charger. Have also tried before while not plugged in and it worked, not yet tried with cable plugged in but not charging, however with manual charge it will still trickle some power in while plugged in.

That's what I expected (y) Now it's to test on a schedule or with battery charge % level set to check override which may be the issue. If so it is a s/w fix

Alan

I have issues if the car is still on, like if you don't press the lock button, my I smart commands show an error, then if I lock it with the remote, seems a bit better, still buggy

Just tried with my brand new trophy. Would never work, plugged or unplugged, giving error message 40, but having read yr thread, I tried it again while charging and it's worked for the first time!

Car
I have a "MG4 Electric", "model year 2022".
Sweden.

If the car is plugged into a charger, I cannot start the AC by using the iSmart app.
If the car is not plugged in to a charger, I can always start the AC by using the iSmart app.

Setup
1. The charger is plugged into the vehicle
2. The vehicle is locked
3. Using the iSmart app, I try to enable "AC" by going to iSmart "Homescreen, pressing the toggle on the bottom right (set AC to "on")
4. This always results in "Error 40" in the iSmart App.

The above happens if the car is actively charging or not. The car can also be at full charge, in other words; the car can be fully charged and not actively charging and I still get "Error 40".

This issue has been reported to MG Europe and to MG Sweden by me in January of 2023. MG Sweden directed me my place of service (the car dealership).

When talking to the mechanic that called me back from the dealership, he sounded like I spoke about aliens and quantum physics. He did not have any idea of how he should remedy the issue.

The dealership is the Swedish firm "Hedin bil"

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel