iSMART only work in UK?

Yes. Your car has probably gone into a deep sleep. It'll kick back into life when you unlock it with the key.

Or ... periodically try the app and it might wake itself up.

Hi there.
Ah yes, I had the same experience.
Car parked at airport, app couldn’t update when outside the UK (within 4 hours) and VPN pretending to be in the UK didn‘t help.
As soon as I was back on UK connection - worked first try. Must use geo/IP restrictions.

I'm just back from 10 say holiday in Spain while car left at home. I regularly checked ismart and it worked every day throughout providing location and SOC. However after exactly 7 days it stopped performing a vehicle scan.

Well, it’s on a phone plan with its sim. Uses Vodaphone in Australia & so in travelling to different countries would need to be able to change networks. Ask MG, one would have thought this be an obvious thing in the UK & the EU with various jurisdictions being so close to each other.

We think it uses Voda here in the UK too. However the issue here has nothing to do with network roaming - it's the person who is out of the UK, not the car. ;)

My guess is, if owner is outside the UK…
  • Car at home on WiFi will work normally
  • On MG 4G it may restrict non-uk IP addresses or those on a blacklis like VPN.

The SE has no Wi-Fi capability, so can only use the mobile data network for connection. But you raise an interesting point re. IP address blocking - should be quite easy to test if someone has a VPN on their phone.

My guess is, if owner is outside the UK…
  • Car at home on WiFi will work normally
  • On MG 4G it may restrict non-uk IP addresses or those on a blacklis like VPN.
I was in Thailand recently and could connect to our car in the UK with the car on MG 4G. As others have found, after several days (can't remember how long) I could no longer connect to the car. It remained dormant until I got home and unlocked the car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back