Ismart woes

halogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
So.. finally I got my Tbox upgrade to my localized software and patches...
And finally got my ismart working...

But...
2 Things that im unable to get it working.

Precooling the cabin feature .
And the charging management feature

Cars lock and shut off. Slides the ac button the car doesn't do anything.
Also in home screen of the app my soc is not shown.
When I clicked on charging management. Also just keeps loading circling button on top.
Mg4 in indonesia is imported from Thailand.
They're spec is
Basically Short range with trophy specs in the uk.

Yes if u look at the charging management screen I can choose how many percent to charge the battery. I've read some people with SR doesn't have that options anymore post phantom patch.
Anyone can share any ideas about my problems . Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231117-113340_MG i-SMART.jpg
    Screenshot_20231117-113340_MG i-SMART.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20231117-165938_MG i-SMART.jpg
    Screenshot_20231117-165938_MG i-SMART.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_20231117-165852_MG i-SMART.jpg
    Screenshot_20231117-165852_MG i-SMART.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 55
Mmm. There is a bug that prevents the operation of the pre-heating/cooling feature if the car is plugged in to a charger but not actually charging. Some people have had a fix for this but I'm not sure what it is. If your car was plugged in when you tried to pre-cool, try again after unplugging.

There is no way to stop a charge on the SR battery through the app timer. The reason is that the LFP battery likes to go to 100% and balance and there is no reason to force it to stop earlier and prevent it from balancing. Unless you need the car, in which case click on "stop charging" or just unplug it.

If you stop an AC charge before 100% you have a disappointed LFP battery and you have to make it up to him later.

Thank u for reply. Not my car wasn't plug.

The issue is the remote control page of the app

1). Doesn't show soc of the battery. Somes times the range kilometers left shows and sometimes it doesn't.

2.When car is locked and shut-off. I can't use the precooling function.
When I slide the slider... sometimes my side mirror lights blinks and I can hear something clicking in the car but then the ac doesn't comes on.

Everything else works.
The Digital key. The lock unlock.
The vehicle status.
The find my car function.

That is very strange and I do not have an explanation. Apart from the thing about not pre-heating/cooling when plugged in, and the occasional non-function because the phone signal isn't good, I have not had trouble with the app.

I think there are different app versions for different countries though, so maybe yours is an Indonesia-specific issue.

Thank u for reply. I asked a MG tech he said ismart servers are in China. So they're looking into it. When he checked his demo car he's surprised to find the same error too. Hopefully it's just server issues...

If he was surprised, then maybe it is a new (temporary?) error. Hope so!

It is slightly annoying that the MG software for the SR battery has all sorts of legacy code in it that relates only to the LR battery, such as apparently allowing target charging percentages and referring to 100% charge as "Long Trip Mode". It's like that in both the app and the car. I know it confuses some people into believing they shouldn't charge their SR up to 100% routinely, but that's not the case. You have to learn to ignore all that rubbish and just let the car go to 100% and balance every time it's on an AC charger.

If he was surprised, then maybe it is a new (temporary?) error. Hope so!

It is slightly annoying that the MG software for the SR battery has all sorts of legacy code in it that relates only to the LR battery, such as apparently allowing target charging percentages and referring to 100% charge as "Long Trip Mode". It's like that in both the app and the car. I know it confuses some people into believing they shouldn't charge their SR up to 100% routinely, but that's not the case. You have to learn to ignore all that rubbish and just let the car go to 100% and balance every time it's on an AC charger.
yes im doing my part as a ev geek to educate friends and families the difference in LFP and NMC battery chemistry so they can make an educated decision when buying an ev..
though the current sentiment of ev ownerships is Ioniq5> all just because ioniq5 is domestically assemblied thus price point is cheaper than the imported MG4...

I would appreciate if iSmart allowed me to set charging limit to 80% for my SR LFP - it is certainly enough for my daily use and still better for battery health, escpecially if charging daily. Because the limit cannot be set, I avoid charging daily and let the SoC drop to around 30% and only then charge.

100% all the time for me ... the LFP pack / car's BMS would much prefer you to charge to 100% rather than 80%. Don't sweat it - just do it. Any impact on degradation will be minimal; nothing that will be obvious in the lifetime of the car. :)

I would appreciate if iSmart allowed me to set charging limit to 80% for my SR LFP - it is certainly enough for my daily use and still better for battery health, escpecially if charging daily. Because the limit cannot be set, I avoid charging daily and let the SoC drop to around 30% and only then charge.

It's not going to make a blind bit of difference to your battery health so's you'd notice, and the LFP battery really likes to be charged to 100% and sit there for half an hour to balance. That's why MG took the ability to set the charge limit away from the app for SR cars. To try to stop you doing that.

ETA. Maybe you don't realise that the SR cars once were able to do that, because the software was designed with the LR's needs in mind. It would have been easy enough for MG just to leave it like that, but they took the trouble to take the facility away because it's not good for the SR to be treated as if it was the LR. It has a completely different chemistry and its electrolyte doesn't degrade the way the LR's electrolyte does.

How much is the Ioniq then?
cheapest base model is bout 35.4k pounds before tax.
and that is without ADAS and other features that our mg trophy has.
upgrade to equivalents of our trophy spec the price jumps to 38.3k pounds.

in perspective, all imported cars are double or even triple taxed , for example. a tesla 3 std range can cost up to 73k pounds...so you can see ioniq5 at that prices seems affordable..

btw the MG4 sold here is sr with trophy features spec. costs me 29.2k pounds without tax.
which is suprisingly affordable and good bang for buck since its an imported car

Talked to MG tech it guy.. he did most of my troubleshooting software patches..
He was the it guy in hyundai too..
He said the tech is better in our car than the i5.
For ex. If our Hv battery is above 30% soc. When ure parked more than 24 hours. The 12v battery is slowly trickled over by the Hv battery... so waking up with a dead 12v is rarely an issue...

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back