iSMART won't connect

middlep

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I've had my MG4 for a couple of weeks now and love everything about it. Well, nearly everything - I can't get the app to work.

I have downloaded the app, logged in, binded the vehicle and all that seems to work ok. But it always says "Unable to get GPS". So though it's binderld, it doesn't seem to actually connect. I've tried in different locations (at my home and in the nearby city) without luck. I've also removed/rebinded the vehicle a number of times + redownloaded the app etc. without luck.

Screenshot of the app

I'm guess it's not a problem with the app itself, but with the car not sending it's data.

Are there any steps anyone would recommend that I try to get this resolved?

Have you ignored the message and tried the status button? Often I get that message but ignore it for the status, sometimes refreshing before it responds. Then going back I get the battery level and location.

Yeah, I've tried that a few times and I get an error saying "The status checking is failed, please try again later" (the top of the screen says scanning 0%)

I've tried both unlocked and locked with no luck. Bluetooth is enabled & connected to my phone.

I cannot remember if I put in my car's registration number but that appears at the top of the page. Yours just shows a generic. If you tap that you should get another page with info about your car. Are the VIN characters that show correct?

There is also a plus sign which when pressed opens the camera (on my phone); I presume to bind to another car. You could try that if you're feeling experimental.

If I did not put in the registration number then my dealer must have associated that with the VIN and, presumably, updated a database somewhere. Perhaps the lack of association stops the app from connecting.

I don't know what error message you get if the car has been previously bound but not properly released but again another opportunity to cause a failure.

Any experts out there know more?

I had same issue for 1st couple of days and could find nothing to help anywhere, and it was as simple as accepting the terms and conditions for ismart within the car main screen (think its the icon below the car binding icon from memory) ticked them both to accept then tried the app and connected straight away and every time since. It doesn't guide you to these as part of setup its a separate section altogether.

I had same issue for 1st couple of days and could find nothing to help anywhere, and it was as simple as accepting the terms and conditions for ismart within the car main screen (think its the icon below the car binding icon from memory) ticked them both to accept then tried the app and connected straight away and every time since. It doesn't guide you to these as part of setup its a separate section altogether.
Brilliant, this solved it, thank you.

To confirm for anyone else with this problem, there is a Privacy tab at the bottom of Settings and both of the options there were off. I turned them both to on and the app immediately worked.

Brilliant, this solved it, thank you.

To confirm for anyone else with this problem, there is a Privacy tab at the bottom of Settings and both of the options there were off. I turned them both to on and the app immediately worked.
Perfect, thought it sounded like the same thing I had. Quite annoying it does'nt ask you to do this as part of setup but its a great eureka moment when you find it, enjoy your preheating from now on :) .

The SE doesn't have those Privacy options. 🤷‍♂️
I'm on R21 and have SE 23 model, think it might be something to do with an update as suspected it wasn't on early versions, seen someone else saying ismart didn't work after an update too so maybe once software updated you need to accept privacy policy for it to continue to connect

Used I smart this morning to put air conditioning on and drivers heated seat, got in vehicle, nice and warm but passenger seat heated instead of driver seat, this has now happened twice, thought I was at fault on first occurrence 😂

Used I smart this morning to put air conditioning on and drivers heated seat, got in vehicle, nice and warm but passenger seat heated instead of driver seat, this has now happened twice, thought I was at fault on first occurrence 😂
No its a design feature. 🤣
Unfortunately this seems to have been a fault since the app came out.

I’m referring to the need to accept the privacy policies etc in the car system.
There are no instructions on doing this, you’d think the app maker would make it clear how to get it all to connect.

I don't mind the passenger seat heating as it gives me brownie points every day I take my wife to work. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back