• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Just add your vehicle in ABRP and hit "Link with ABRP OBD Connection"

ARvanHAS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I just received a notification email from A Better Route Planner stating the following:
"
We just wanted to let you know that we have added a new way to get live data for your MG ZS EV. ABRP can now read live car data using an OBD BLE dongle in the car. You get your own dongle, the rest is handled by the ABRP app. It's free for everyone and gives rich enough data to precisely calibrate your specific vehicle's consumption while driving!

There are some precautions and a list of known working dongles here.
"
I've testes it with my Vlinker ODBII and holy moly it works. Well, it connected. I didn't drive with it. But it didn't set off the alarm like TorquePro does, and it shows:
SoC, powerusage, voltage, mileage, outside and inside temp and kWh/km!

Just to let you know.

This is very interesting indeed and thanks for posting. I don't have the car (MG) yet but I have an Autel AP200 dongle and this works very well with the Jag and is the 'come to' dongle for Jag/Land Rover owners. I would be happy to get together with a Gen 2 ZS owner (when more and more come into the real world) to see if this dongle works (it isn't on ABPRP list). It cost me around £50 and paired to the free app, works great.

If your ODBII isn't too old (think you'll need bluetooth and copied this from the EvWatchdog's site:
"

Not every OBD2 adapter on the market will work with this App.​

In order to extract battery data from the interface the adapter must support a specific type of commands.​

Cheap generic OBD2 adapters available are known as "chinese clones" are built with low cost electronics and most do not support the required protocol.​

They are also usually slow and will normally fail with regular usage. When failing they might return erroneous data, just stop working or generate malfunction in the interface which will trigger errors in the car.​

"
I bought mine (VLinker FD+ with BT4) on Ali E. at a store with no questions asked return policy. But it works great and uses hardly any 12V. So I can leave it plugged in without worrying about the batterydrain.

I'm using the payed/premium version of ABRP. It's worth the €5 per month if you ask me.

Just tested it this morning. Without any further action than starting the car, ABRP connected and showed the SoC on the AA infoscreen.

Very Nice!

Attachments

• 20220120_082045.jpg
    20220120_082045.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 378
I ordered one linked from the list of working dongles listed above. Not expecting much as I’ve got an MG5LR & using iOS but I might get lucky 🤷‍♂️

Amazon product ASIN B07SQLY39V
I don't think the ODBII connection in ABRP is only developed for the ZS... So you can also select the MG5 or about all other existing EV's (even the obscure Aptera Gemini). Each car can be selected and use either ODBII, TorquePro OR it's own live dataconnection if available.

The difference with the new ODBII connection is that you don't need a third party app like TorquePro anymore. This is also for our iPhone using EV Friends good news since there is no TorquePro version for them (but they still need an iPhone specific ODBII).

Might be you also need the premium version of ABRP to connect to the live data function.

Hi all. I just received a notification email from A Better Route Planner stating the following:
"
We just wanted to let you know that we have added a new way to get live data for your MG ZS EV. ABRP can now read live car data using an OBD BLE dongle in the car. You get your own dongle, the rest is handled by the ABRP app. It's free for everyone and gives rich enough data to precisely calibrate your specific vehicle's consumption while driving!

There are some precautions and a list of known working dongles here.
"
I've testes it with my Vlinker ODBII and holy moly it works. Well, it connected. I didn't drive with it. But it didn't set off the alarm like TorquePro does, and it shows:
SoC, powerusage, voltage, mileage, outside and inside temp and kWh/km!

Just to let you know.
I got the same email, though I haven't had chance to try it yet!

I ordered one linked from the list of working dongles listed above. Not expecting much as I’ve got an MG5LR & using iOS but I might get lucky 🤷‍♂️

Amazon product ASIN B07SQLY39V
I don't think the native ABRP connection will work with the 5. Unfortunately Torque Pro isn't available for IOS any more. So you may have to wait for ABRP to update for the 5?

I don't think the native ABRP connection will work with the 5. Unfortunately Torque Pro isn't available for IOS any more. So you may have to wait for ABRP to update for the 5?
Considering buying a cheap Samsung A03s just for Android Auto if the iOS integration doesn't work.

Last edited:
Hi,.
Thanks for sharing. I had a quick go today with the free version.

I have a

EXZA HHOBD (Bluetooth, 2nd Gen.) - Smart OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner and Code Reader​

As recommended on the EV Watchdog list. I created an account and logged in, selected the correct vehicle.

Think I missed something as I could see navigation but the SOC was the default of 90%.

Will try again when I have time as it sounds good.

Do you need the paid version to get it on Android auto?

Thanks again for the post.

Hi,.
Thanks for sharing. I had a quick go today with the free version.

I have a

EXZA HHOBD (Bluetooth, 2nd Gen.) - Smart OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner and Code Reader​

As recommended on the EV Watchdog list. I created an account and logged in, selected the correct vehicle.

Think I missed something as I could see navigation but the SOC was the default of 90%.

Will try again when I have time as it sounds good.

Do you need the paid version to get it on Android auto?

Thanks again for the post.
AAuto is paid only unfortunately. (worth it though)

Considering buying a cheap Samsung A03s just for Android Auto if the iOS integration doesn't work.
iOS integration works (CarPlay is paid only) - btw, if you want your MG5 working you can submit a request (the MG ZE EV took less than a week to add)

You can jump onto the feature request upvoty site, my submission for the ZS EV took less than a week from submitting to working.

iOS integration works (CarPlay is paid only) - btw, if you want your MG5 working you can submit a request (the MG ZE EV took less than a week to add)
I can connect to the adapter and see settings through another app - but since ABRP doesn’t allow connectivity to MG5, I tried the MG ZS - but this failed in step 3 in the connection process - raised a ticket to get car added - I’ve seen threads on their support site about PIDa for MG5 in Torque so hopefully this is possible.

I can’t get it to link my ZS LR to my VLinker MC+
Not sure if I’m doing something wrong. It certainly appeared in the list of devices. I’ve clicked to submit a bug.

Attachments

• F7231964-9255-4A7C-85A7-1D42589670EC.png
    F7231964-9255-4A7C-85A7-1D42589670EC.png
    592.7 KB · Views: 286
I can’t get it to link my ZS LR to my VLinker MC+
Not sure if I’m doing something wrong. It certainly appeared in the list of devices. I’ve clicked to submit a bug.
I’m seeing the same screen for my MG5LR if I select the ZS, ZS LR, etc and try to connect - wonder if the ZS LR isn’t supported yet either despite being listed.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom