Just Cancelled My Order

The wheels didn't actually fall off though did they, they put a recall in and stopped the cars being driven. You have to ask whether any other manufacturer would have done the same thing, or would it have been covered up and not dealt with in the same way.
Right and these recalls didn't happen immediately. It look time to detect and figure out what the problem was and how serious and whether and when to recall. There seems to be an assumption (which I have been making too) that the oil leaks will be catastrophic if not fixed but we don't actually know that yet - depending on the cause they may slow down and stop before the oil is below a critical level.

I am hoping that this coming week MG will communicate with us to explain the severity of this, who is affected, if they will be recalling and how the fix will be made,

Ordered a 4 approx 4 weeks ago, got test drive yesterday. Asked sales guy if he knew about oil and tray issue, well no he didnt , so when we come to pass over personal reg document I will be reminding him to note these issues and I will be looking for them myself before signing any paperwork. I will also be keeping tabs on any other teething issues that crop up and will pass these onto the sales guy to be checked during PDI. It certainly not a real valid reason to cancel the order, all new cars have teething issues. Now the recall that BMW did for ALL the I model EVs recently definitely is a reason not to buy one.

As I understand it the oil leaks appear after a few 100 miles - so a check for leaks when you pick the car up might not show anything at that stage. That said, I would hope that this issue is resolved before the next batch of new cars are handed over to their owners. I know it’s not good, but it is not really a reason to bin your order in my opinion. It’s a great little car and it will get sorted.

Ordered a 4 approx 4 weeks ago, got test drive yesterday. Asked sales guy if he knew about oil and tray issue, well no he didnt , so when we come to pass over personal reg document I will be reminding him to note these issues and I will be looking for them myself before signing any paperwork. I will also be keeping tabs on any other teething issues that crop up and will pass these onto the sales guy to be checked during PDI. It certainly not a real valid reason to cancel the order, all new cars have teething issues. Now the recall that BMW did for ALL the I model EVs recently definitely is a reason not to buy one.
BMW only recalled 83 cars, not all cars :

BMW has sent out a recall for its iX and i4 electric vehicles because of a risk of the batteries bursting into flames.

For now, a total of 83 vehicles manufactured between November 22, 2021 and July 30, 2022 are part of the recall.

It comprises the 2022 BMW i4 eDrive40, i4 M50, 2022-2023 BMW iX xDrive50 and iX M60 models, with 83 cars currently part of the recall notice.

BMW only recalled 83 cars, not all cars :

BMW has sent out a recall for its iX and i4 electric vehicles because of a risk of the batteries bursting into flames.

For now, a total of 83 vehicles manufactured between November 22, 2021 and July 30, 2022 are part of the recall.

It comprises the 2022 BMW i4 eDrive40, i4 M50, 2022-2023 BMW iX xDrive50 and iX M60 models, with 83 cars currently part of the recall notice.
Ok , press said it was all . That would still be a reason to bin an order ;).

As I understand it the oil leaks appear after a few 100 miles - so a check for leaks when you pick the car up might not show anything at that stage. That said, I would hope that this issue is resolved before the next batch of new cars are handed over to their owners. I know it’s not good, but it is not really a reason to bin your order in my opinion. It’s a great little car and it will get sorted.
(y), As most are aware here the current solution is to drain and refill to correct level, so I will most likely request a copy of the PDI checklist ( we have recently started to get these with the company cars) along with asking that the oils is redone anyway. If it is not that issue then 😭 unwanted return to dealer and potentially being carless.

The straw that broke the camel's back was the member who posted the checklist of faults to check for when picking up your car (I even added to it)
It dawned on me, even though my car may have none of those faults and they would be fixed under guarantee, I'm simply not prepared to take the risk.

It has become absurd, almost like a Monty Python sketch, : Remember to check for the ten things that may be wrong with your brand new car when you pick it up, and don't forget to check for the oil leak after 200 miles of driving !
What will happen in a year if these are the first month's faults ?

I wish everyone luck, we had set our hearts on this car, but sadly it's not to be.
I assume you're dealing with Dickson's. Before I placed my order I spoke to them about the problems reported in this forum. They told me me they new nothing of them. I placed my order on the 13th October and delivery is to be (late?) January. Watching forum activity closely. If it's not resolved by the new year, I'll seriously consider cancelling too!

I assume you're dealing with Dickson's. Before I placed my order I spoke to them about the problems reported in this forum. They told me me they new nothing of them. I placed my order on the 13th October and delivery is to be (late?) January. Watching forum activity closely. If it's not resolved by the new year, I'll seriously consider cancelling too!
Yes, Dickinsons, I was dealing with Martin Hagan, and he told me the same, no information about problems, maybe he's being economical with the truth as they certainly should know from head office by now.
We had a blue Trophy on order for end of October delivery.
We are 100% cash buyers so we weren't comfortable risking that amount of money despite the seven year guarantee.
It's totally your choice what you do, but it's certainly not looking good at the moment.
We'll have to see what happens in the coming weeks.

Yes, Dickinsons, I was dealing with Martin Hagan, and he told me the same, no information about problems, maybe he's being economical with the truth as they certainly should know from head office by now.
We had a blue Trophy on order for end of October delivery.
We are 100% cash buyers so we weren't comfortable risking that amount of money despite the seven year guarantee.
It's totally your choice what you do, but it's certainly not looking good at the moment.
We'll have to see what happens in the coming weeks.
@Miles Roberts CG has stated on another thread that he's still waiting for an official "Tech Alert" from MG Central.

The straw that broke the camel's back was the member who posted the checklist of faults to check for when picking up your car (I even added to it)
It dawned on me, even though my car may have none of those faults and they would be fixed under guarantee, I'm simply not prepared to take the risk.

It has become absurd, almost like a Monty Python sketch, : Remember to check for the ten things that may be wrong with your brand new car when you pick it up, and don't forget to check for the oil leak after 200 miles of driving !
What will happen in a year if these are the first month's faults ?

I wish everyone luck, we had set our hearts on this car, but sadly it's not to be.

Good analysis and reasoning behind your sound decision.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 528 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back