Just took delivery of my new ZS EV

Mikalosh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all well I picked up my new ZS last Friday and used it all weekend and absolutely love it, slowly getting used to the best way to drive it. Finding out which are the best apps to get where my nearest chargers are etc. One downer though I only have a granny charger at the moment but thought I would use the sockets in my garage as soon as I locked the car to charge it tripped the house electrics, so I reset, tried the house direct and it tripped again at this point I was beginning to worry. Luckily I know some one who as a zappi charger and he kindly let me experiment. We first off tried the granny charger an low and behold as I locked the car it started charging, so we tried the zappi and that also worked so he kindly fully charged my car whilst I left it with him. I then went on a 90 mile round trip and thought I try again at home but this time on extension that was built more recently than the original house and it charged, I am baffled by this time. I managed to charge to 71% and thought that I would carry on this morning and using the same setup as last night it only went and tripped the electrics in the extension. 😒👎

Looks like you need a house rewire or at least an update of the consumer unit.
Maybe the garage sockets are on the same circuit as the house socket you used?

Glad you are enjoying the car, I have driven over 5000 miles now and still love it. It took me a little while to get used to the steering which felt a bit vague .......but no probs now I'm used to it.

If I'm doing some rapid overtaking, I make sure I have a very firm grip of the wheel before I put my foot down!

How low a charge can the granny be set to?
Haven't unpacked mine yet, afther 1+month of ownership, so i just don't know that. I did install a wall charger witch have me covered. But then again I have enough amps awailible, and a reasonable new electricity system inhouse.

The reason for the tripping could be overloading the mains or circuit breaker, grounding fault, or heat buildup in the breakers due to under dimensioned wiring?
Or it just being too old, so the tolerance is less than before

Last edited:
Looks like you need a house rewire or at least an update of the consumer unit.
Maybe the garage sockets are on the same circuit as the house socket you used?
The house is not that old built in 1976 I have a feeling it could be rcd problems, but I am going to get that checked this week I am also going to have a charger fitted as well

How low a charge can the granny be set to?
Haven't unpacked mine yet, afther 1+month of ownership, so i just don't know that. I did install a wall charger witch have me covered. But then again I have enough amps awailible, and a reasonable new electricity system inhouse.

The reason for the tripping could be overloading the mains or circuit breaker, grounding fault, or heat buildup in the breakers due to under dimensioned wiring?
Or it just being too old, so the tolerance is less than before
I agree with your last statement about the tolerance because why did it work okay the night before?? Anyway going to get the consumer unit checked this week, hopefully it might reveal the answer

I agree with your last statement about the tolerance because why did it work okay the night before?? Anyway going to get the consumer unit checked this week, hopefully it might reveal the answer
There may have been less current draw in the house the night before, it only takes someone to switch the kettle on to suddenly add 2-3kW or 8-12.5A to the load. An electric shower can draw 7-10kW or 29-42A and your 7kWh home charger will be drawing 29A when you get it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom