Keeping the MG ZS EV radio on after switching off

Goofy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to to the radio on for longer than the preset 3-4 minutes?

Yes leave the ignition properly on....I had mine on over 2 hours yesterday as I was working in the garage..lost 2 miles of range ...it then takes its power from the big battery......obviously if someone jumped in and put it in drive...you would have a problem!

Well I'm not the man to ask about that I'm afraid!........there may be, but it was my 'workaround'. Unless someone has a better solution?

It is slightly irritating seeing the instruments and day time running lights still on...

Hi Guys,

Although annoying when you are waiting in the car for a long period you have to keep resetting the start button every so often, lets NOT forget that it is like this for a reason. We all know now how important it is for ALL electric cars to have the 12v DC battery in good condition (i.e. holding a good charge) and when the Main Battery is off line any electric usage will come off the 12V battery and therefore the potential to have a non-runner after (if it was able to do so, or even continuous turning on and off the start button) sitting for half an hour to 45 mins is not a situation you want. Take it as it is, a design feature that is required.

All my recent ICE cars also had the same function although a flat battery in those are not such a problem. So as Chris says, and I do as well, if you are waiting just keep the car in the ready mode, the battery is kept healthy and if hot or cold you can use the HVAC to your hearts content. Sitting there without moving will not take much charge at all and of course (unlike your ICE Car) you are not polluting the air in and around your car.

While we are talking about batteries, all the faffing about keeping the car charged at certain levels is in my opinion a bloody nuisance and NOT required. Let the BMS do its job, it STOPS over and under charging and you also have the 7yr Battery Warranty to fall back on. If you are fortunate enough to have a wall charger at home, plug the car in every time you are not using it, you then (hopefully) will NEVER have a 12v Battery problem and if an emergency occurs you will have the car at its best charge. EV maxim, always charge it when possible.

Regards

Frank

PS The day time running lights are LED I believe which even if you use them 4 hours every day of the year that should still be going as LED's usually have 30000 -50000 hours life which means it most cases either the car has gone (worn out/sold), you have past away or your wife's got it in the Divorce settlement!!!!

Yes leave the ignition properly on....I had mine on over 2 hours yesterday as I was working in the garage..lost 2 miles of range ...it then takes its power from the big battery......obviously if someone jumped in and put it in drive...you would have a problem!
You can use the real parking break for it, so the R or D won't work in that case

How does this work when the vehicle is being charged? I thought I read in the manual that when charging, the ignition should not be in the on position (apologies if that is incorrect it has been a while now).

The car should be locked, you can put the car in working mode while waiting inside (don't think you call that ignition with an EV)

You're right, just checked and the manual refers to it as ON/READY (y)

Such as:
"Note: If at any time during the charging process you should want to check the state of charge, please switch the vehicle power system to the ON position. the high voltage battery state of charge will be displayed in the message centre in the instrument pack."

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom