KERS 3 & Brake Light Operation - Safety Recall?

ArfurM

Reaction score
Powys
Driving
MG5 EV
Got my recall notice today, so I 'phoned my supplying dealer (Budgen Motors in Shrewsbury), and they've booked it for the day as "sometimes the firmware updates take longer than expected.."

...Say.. Wha'? :oops:

Jomarkh

Reaction score
Southampton
Driving
MG5 EV
Got mine too but had already booked the car in.
Interesting that it says don't use Kers3 what happens if you do and someone goes into the rear of your car?

Alb

Reaction score
Gloucestershire
Driving
MG5 EV
It will affect both but the factory will have been doing the update for cars currently or recently in production. Any LR not yet delivered to customers should be checked as part of the PDI.

Ozzie1989

Reaction score
Wales
Driving
MG5 EV
As some have said, if the letter says don't use KERS3 then I wouldn't as in the event of an accident involving a lack of brake light you could void your insurance if they looked into it deep enough. How can they prove you had the letter dare I ask? The appointment at your dealer may give it away 🤣

It's very unlikely mind you...

Justin H

Reaction score
UK
Driving
MG5 EV
Is this specific to a specific model of the 5? SR? LR?
The LR didn't exist when this problem was first detected by owners (see past threads). But luckily now someone has managed to put some sort of scientific data to MG to prove it doesn't meet the safety standards.

EvFan

Novice Member
Reaction score
Norfolk
Driving
MG5 EV
Hammond's MG have quoted about 45 minutes for my update. Hope that's true, but software updates shouldn't take too long really. OTA updates would be great for the 5 but I think it requires extra hardware in the car which I not sure it has sadly 😟. But still I love my 5.

glenmclen

Novice Member
Reaction score
USA New York
How to create software as a service, while custom software development may seem like an expensive process, you can expect to get high quality work and an affordable price. If you're looking to hire an offshore custom software development team, you need to know what your exact requirements are. In addition to the skill level of the developers, you should also consider the culture of the developers. Eastern Europe is often considered a good choice for developing software, and the cultural similarities are similar. In addition, a customized approach to outsourcing is a good idea if you're concerned about the quality of the product.

Last edited:

CuriousIslander

Standard Member
Reaction score
Isle of Wight UK
Driving
MG5 EV
I received the letter yesterday and my standard range 5 is now booked in with Premier MG on the Island at 8.30 next Wednesday. They say it will take about a hour. I thought that was a pretty good response.

m4rmite

Reaction score
West Mids
Driving
MG5 EV
Booked mine in for the week ate after next, on annual leave.

I'll have a stroll round wickes next door, or round the new zs if a demo is there:unsure:

psybernoid

Standard Member
Reaction score
Bridgend
Driving
MG5 EV
Just called my dealer after getting the letter this morning. Can't fit me in until mid-February.
Apparently it's going to have the roof rails inspected too at the same time.

C6MFC

Reaction score
Telford
Driving
MG5 EV
Had it done today. KERS3 regen feels about the same. Can't wait for it to get dark so I can see if it works?

C6MFC

Reaction score
Telford
Driving
MG5 EV
Booked mine in for the week ate after next, on annual leave.

I'll have a stroll round wickes next door, or round the new zs if a demo is there:unsure:
New ZS demo was in showroom of my dealer so had a look round while waiting for the KERS software......bit of an anti-climax really.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Get your MG5 charging tee

Latest MG EVs video

2021 refresh MG ZS EV press launch update
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Top Bottom