MG5 KERS 3 & Brake Light Operation - Safety Recall?

It’s a SR and I’ve had it about a month now. I got the recall letter and was followed by my sister a couple of weeks ago who commented that I didn’t use my brakes on a 40mph twisty road, so I don’t think the brake lights are coming on already

Just called my dealer after getting the letter this morning. Can't fit me in until mid-February.
Apparently it's going to have the roof rails inspected too at the same time.
Mid Feb? They do know this is supposed to be a safety recall, right? If you are bothered by it you should get right on to MG. Remember, theoretically you are driving a car with illegal/no brake lights.

It’s a SR and I’ve had it about a month now. I got the recall letter and was followed by my sister a couple of weeks ago who commented that I didn’t use my brakes on a 40mph twisty road, so I don’t think the brake lights are coming on already
If you're in a 40 would you be slowing down enough for the car to show its brake lights?
I can't think of a single 40mph speed limited area were I would need to intervene and use the brakes.
Unless someone stopped suddenly in front of me of course.

If you're in a 40 would you be slowing down enough for the car to show its brake lights?
I can't think of a single 40mph speed limited area were I would need to intervene and use the brakes.
Unless someone stopped suddenly in front of me of course.
Yes, driving between Marple and Glossop you have some very tight bends after straight runs, it’s 40mph but a country road, so in an ICE car I’d apply the brakes but in the MG5 I used the KERS to anticipate the corners dropping from 40-20mph

Yes, driving between Marple and Glossop you have some very tight bends after straight runs, it’s 40mph but a country road, so in an ICE car I’d apply the brakes but in the MG5 I used the KERS to anticipate the corners dropping from 40-20mph
Fair enough. Just checking as people round me have a habit of crawling round corners that are more then safe enough to do the speed limit.

Fair enough. Just checking as people round me have a habit of crawling round corners that are more then safe enough to do the speed limit.
Yes, same here. I thought I’d test the KERS when I knew I was going to be along that stretch and was surprised my sister said that the brake lights didn’t show. Then I found this forum and the info about the fault.

I'd find another dealer. This can be done anywhere not just the dealer you bought from. Roof rail recall is to add a weight limit sticker to your hand book I hear.

Just been for mine and they couldn’t do it!
Something about being on the system for the recall but their diagnostics scan saying nothing needs to be done as all green ticks.
Dealer is liaising with MG UK for an answer
That is frustrating.

Dealer called this morning and had to cancel my recall upgrade for next week.

They got broke into and the laptops got stole, along with 14 cars :eek:.

They advised i could schedule it somewhere else or wait, i choose to wait.

They'll call me once back up and running, if not by jan I'll book somewhere else.

I feel for the dealer but I would not wait until Jan as its a safety recall. Nightmare scenario somebody rear-ends you when too close and when you go to regen 3. I think your insurance may see this as an open goal and a reason to decline any claim? The car without the modification is technically illegal and would fail an MOT (if it was old enough). The recall note says do not use regen3 how would you prove you hadn't? As I say nightmare scenario and unlikely.......... unless you have my luck.

I cancelled mine as I sensed it will be a complete cockup and probably put more faults on the car than it will remedy. I'll have it done next summer on the service.

I'd find another dealer. This can be done anywhere not just the dealer you bought from. Roof rail recall is to add a weight limit sticker to your hand book I hear.
Not sure that would help. They know I need it, they’re aware of the issue having done others already, but it’s my car showing an issue.

Had mine done last week called them Wednesday and got a slot for Friday. Took less than an hour from driving into dealer to driving away. No issues and it works.

Not been able to book mine in with my nearest dealer as no one ever answers their phone. Will have to try the next nearest and see if I have better luck.

Given that any MG dealer will have a very finite number of MG5EV customers, wouldn't it be great service if they actually contacted you?

The LR didn't exist when this problem was first detected by owners (see past threads). But luckily now someone has managed to put some sort of scientific data to MG to prove it doesn't meet the safety standards.
Re safety standards : I think that ( for the Mg5 ) the ACC distance ( separation from the car in front ) is too small. At 70mph it's a fair bit less than the highway code of 96m. At max distance setting I'd guess it's around 50-60m at 70mph which feels uncomfortably close. For that reason, I only use it in really good road conditions. The ACC is great, and perhaps the collision/auto braking mitigates the rather close distancing ? Any other views on this ?

Perhaps we should write to MG about that too and initiate another recall to adjust the distance to meet with our highway code standards :)

Good point re the Highway code, these figures however include human reaction time and are probably a bit out dated and not reflecting modern braking/emergency braking automated systems?

Re safety standards : I think that ( for the Mg5 ) the ACC distance ( separation from the car in front ) is too small. At 70mph it's a fair bit less than the highway code of 96m. At max distance setting I'd guess it's around 50-60m at 70mph which feels uncomfortably close. For that reason, I only use it in really good road conditions. The ACC is great, and perhaps the collision/auto braking mitigates the rather close distancing ? Any other views on this ?
I thought that about my ZS too. My Prius had about the same distance on the shortest setting.

Just been for mine and they couldn’t do it!
Something about being on the system for the recall but their diagnostics scan saying nothing needs to be done as all green ticks.
Dealer is liaising with MG UK for an answer
Just been in for mine and, like you, the dealer couldn't do it. Not for the same reason though. The dealership say they are having trouble contacting MG's computer system to get the necessary updates and downloads. They will contact me when they have it sorted.

This is the second time lack of contact between the dealership and MG has happened.The first time it resulted in a 4 day delay in getting the car registered with DVLA. It makes you wonder.........:whistle:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom