MG5 KERS 3 & Brake Light Operation - Safety Recall?

Perhaps we should write to MG about that too and initiate another recall to adjust the distance to meet with our highway code standards :)
I may well do that. I'm going to do a check with my webcam to count cats eye distance markers to next car at max ACC distance setting. I'm glad the there's a Kers3/tail light recall is good, but if forced to choose between driving into the back of someone versus getting tailgated I'd go for the former !. Maybe I'm being too cautious with the ACC distance setting. Will see, once I've actually measured it.

I may well do that. I'm going to do a check with my webcam to count cats eye distance markers to next car at max ACC distance setting. I'm glad the there's a Kers3/tail light recall is good, but if forced to choose between driving into the back of someone versus getting tailgated I'd go for the former !. Maybe I'm being too cautious with the ACC distance setting. Will see, once I've actually measured it.
Must admit, the only issue I've had with ACC and distance is when someone overtaking pulls in front a bit sharpish - the ACC doesn't always react (other than warning) so long as the other car is moving away from you. I've thought the distance at max setting was good though - it leaves more space than the majority of drivers do and reacts well. Generally though, I am travelling at the speed limit (or 65mph) so slower than pretty much all of the cars on a motorway anyway 🤷‍♂️

Must admit, the only issue I've had with ACC and distance is when someone overtaking pulls in front a bit sharpish - the ACC doesn't always react (other than warning) so long as the other car is moving away from you. I've thought the distance at max setting was good though - it leaves more space than the majority of drivers do and reacts well. Generally though, I am travelling at the speed limit (or 65mph) so slower than pretty much all of the cars on a motorway anyway 🤷‍♂️
I usually do between 60 and 65 on the dual carriageways and 70 at the very most of motorways so I'm probably a bit of a slow old duffer. Maybe I'm being too cautious.

When measuring it remember that the distance ACC leaves varies by your speed, faster you go the longer the gap.

So called my local MG garage they've said wait for the letter. I assume as a new buyer I'll still get one and they won't assume dealer had already applied it?

For now I'll stick to KERS2 I guess.

There is absolutely no reason to wait for the letter.
My car was done before the first letter was even issued!

I booked mine in without a letter. On FB someone said there was an update to the infotainment system but could day what it was, any heard about it?

I had my MG5 EV updated on 29/11/21.
My local dealer O.C. Davies were very helpful and did a great job
The modification works very well and it is good to see the brake light coming on when I slow down using Kers.
Living in a very hilly part of the world I tend to use Kers 3 a lot. Its good not having to cover the brake pedal to warn the person following that I am slowing down.
Look on the bright side MG should not have to stock as many rear bumpers, backlights and tail gates?

I feel for the dealer but I would not wait until Jan as its a safety recall. Nightmare scenario somebody rear-ends you when too close and when you go to regen 3. I think your insurance may see this as an open goal and a reason to decline any claim? The car without the modification is technically illegal and would fail an MOT (if it was old enough). The recall note says do not use regen3 how would you prove you hadn't? As I say nightmare scenario and unlikely.......... unless you have my luck.
It would pass the MOT.

Yes technically, but only because they can not test the g requirements. It is not within the lawful tolerances until the modification is in place, hence the letter from MG says do not use regen 3 until the modification has been done. This is a real own goal in that the car was certificated for use in the UK with a system that did not comply with UK regulations re the need for a brake light reaction to vehicle deceleration above the prescribed limits.

My experience of ACC is that it is likely to do a much more efficient job of keeping a safe distance and not being distracted than any human would, even if that distance is shorter than that which we are trained to leave.

But if you don't feel comfortable with letting the electronics assist you, then just turn it off.

I'd sooner not have huge gaps between myself and the car in front as others on a m'way would undertake and fill the gap, and you'd end up going backwards!!

My experience of ACC is that it is likely to do a much more efficient job of keeping a safe distance and not being distracted than any human would, even if that distance is shorter than that which we are trained to leave.

But if you don't feel comfortable with letting the electronics assist you, then just turn it off.

I'd sooner not have huge gaps between myself and the car in front as others on a m'way would undertake and fill the gap, and you'd end up going backwards!!
Going Backwards on the motorway is a bad idea o_O

Hi all
Just been for my kers update
Left the car for 1 1/2 hours
Went back apparently they tried loads of times to connect to MG website but to no avail ☹️
I’ve booked it back in in January
But on the bright side I got a free wash n vac👍🏻
Let see what happens in January
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I did wonder about washing the car as most recalls on vehicles include a wash. Has everyone has a car wash included?

Had mine done today at Crewe. I waited at the dealer and it took them about 90 minutes including the wash, and they did a full safety check while they were at it (checking tyre treads, suspension, video of a walk around the car, etc).

Just been in for mine and, like you, the dealer couldn't do it. Not for the same reason though. The dealership say they are having trouble contacting MG's computer system to get the necessary updates and downloads. They will contact me when they have it sorted.

This is the second time lack of contact between the dealership and MG has happened.The first time it resulted in a 4 day delay in getting the car registered with DVLA. It makes you wonder.........:whistle:
is yoru dealer ryde or newport? Ryde did mine in 30 mins ok. although i dont like their service dept much did well on this.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom