Kers in cold weather

Yes now you mention it, I think that I may have, but I was a little unsure until you’ve mentioned it..

yep definite reduction in cold weather ,now having to use breaks more frequently

Yeah i've noticed too , maybe not so much a reduction ,but a delay after release of the accelerator

Changing from a petrol hybrid in October to my ZS i found the regen 3 quite harsh as i had never experienced it before . I thought i had just become used to it ,but i do believe colder conditions have caused a difference .

I think it depends on a couple of things, heat of the battery (the warmer it is the better KERS works) and the state of charge.

I get an ice warning, but no warning that regen is limited. Happens at 2 degrees C and below,
I used regen 1 at first, but soon forgot to change it and got used to regen 3, the option to come to full stop would be nice.

My battery is currently on half and my regenerative braking force on level 3 is limited. Makes sense now because of the cold weather. Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this! Thanks OP!

Yep! Me too.
I am used to reduced level of regen when the battery's full, but have noticed a considerable reduction at other times recently. Glad to hear it's not just me. And I also think I may have noticed it improving as the battery warms.

Most of my trips are only a couple of miles or so .my batteries must be like ice cubes ha ha

Most of my trips are only a couple of miles or so .my batteries must be like ice cubes ha ha

I haven't got my MG5 yet but my wife's Zoe has noticeably reduced regen when either close to battery full or it is cold (and it tells you so on the screen).

FYI the regen effect on the MG5 is way better than the Zoe (which has two settings).

I get a warning to use manual braking as kers is reduced on the screen when starting

I haven't got my MG5 yet but my wife's Zoe has noticeably reduced regen when either close to battery full or it is cold (and it tells you so on the screen).

FYI the regen effect on the MG5 is way better than the Zoe (which has two settings).
I haven't got my MG5 yet either but glad to see its better. Have you got a ZS ev as well?

Has anybody noticed a reduction in regenerative braking in cold weather, the battery might not accept full regen if cold?
Yes I’ve noticed it too. I’ve done a 75 mile journey today with the heater on hottest setting although on number 1 fan speed and I only had 10 miles of range left - does having the heating on drain the battery that much that I only get 75 mile range despite the on board computer telling me I’m achieving 3.1 kw/h ?

Yes I’ve noticed it too. I’ve done a 75 mile journey today with the heater on hottest setting although on number 1 fan speed and I only had 10 miles of range left - does having the heating on drain the battery that much that I only get 75 mile range despite the on board computer telling me I’m achieving 3.1 kw/h ?
There was an issue with the BMS update and it sounds like your is one of those cars affected, Miles from MG Chorley has confirmed a corrected update will be out soon, hopefully next week.

There was an issue with the BMS update and it sounds like your is one of those cars affected, Miles from MG Chorley has confirmed a corrected update will be out soon, hopefully next week.
Will this update resolve the poor range issue and the kers problem too and is it better to drive with the air con on or will it drain the battery in the same manner ?

Will this update resolve the poor range issue and the kers problem too and is it better to drive with the air con on or will it drain the battery in the same manner ?
It will help with the poor range in the cold; KER’s probably not and the air con I’m not sure as I tend to open the sun roof on tilt and the drivers window slightly..,however someone else maybe able to assist you with this question.

Can't say I've noticed any difference on mine, but it might be the way I drive it.
I always drive in KERS3 and I normally ease the accelerator pedal off, rather than straight off, feeling how much to ease it off for the amount of braking I need and it doesn't feel any different to me.
It was -2C this morning and my HV battery is at 50% and it was still using regen as normal.
No updates on mine apart from the comfort 2.
:unsure:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom